Loved Progreso (Review)

birdy

We got up at our leisure and had breakfast before disembarking for the free shuttle. The pier is 5 miles long. You have to walk through a small shopping area before getting on the bus. As soon as we got there we bought $3 tickets on the double decker bus. We sat on the bottom because the top was full. They kept warning the people on top to duck their heads because of low wires. It was fun to see all the old VW bugs. When it stopped so we could take a picture of our ship there was a little boy in the street and he posed for us. We waved and smiled. We headed down to the beach and grabbed a papalya in front of Le Saint Bonnet. As soon as we set our things down the waiter was there. We got a round of cokes (in the old glass bottles) and then were bombarded by the vendors. I had been warned by the cruise critic that they would try to sell. But a firm “Gracious, No” and they would move on down the beach. It didn’t help them that we, the Triumph, were the only ship in port. We were asked about massages for $25/ ½ hr or 2 for $20 but I negotiated for $15/ ½ for 7 people. They were wonderful. The kids collected shells and everyone got a henna tattoo from “George”. We bought T-shirts, a bag, hematite bracelets ($1 each), silver bracelets and rings. We fell in love with this poor town. We headed back toward the ship and went through the market place before boarding the bus. I had looked all over and asked everyone for toe rings and didn’t find them until the shop before getting on the ship. They were $10 each. I got two. I didn’t even think to barter with him.

I was there last year and I loved it too, but they have raised their prices on the massages.... i got a 60 min massage on the beach for 15.00...... and it was AWESOME....i was hoping to get that same deal again as we will be there at the end of the month.....

So nice to hear that you had a good time!

FYI, BetterHalf and I got relaxing massages at the spa of the Hotel Meridien in Cancun last week and an hour of that was 80 USD so 15, 20 or even 25 sounds pretty darn good.

Have fun, cruisers!

We too have enjoyed Progreso...both the town and the beach. The massages on the beach are very relaxing...so are the drinks. The two times we've been there, the weather has been perfect for early December..we are going again this December, and hope for more of the same..sure beats early December weather here in Missouri!!!:)

We got up at our leisure and had breakfast before disembarking for the free shuttle. The pier is 5 miles long. You have to walk through a small shopping area before getting on the bus. As soon as we got there we bought $3 tickets on the double decker bus. We sat on the bottom because the top was full. They kept warning the people on top to duck their heads because of low wires. It was fun to see all the old VW bugs. When it stopped so we could take a picture of our ship there was a little boy in the street and he posed for us. We waved and smiled. We headed down to the beach and grabbed a papalya in front of Le Saint Bonnet. As soon as we set our things down the waiter was there. We got a round of cokes (in the old glass bottles) and then were bombarded by the vendors. I had been warned by the cruise critic that they would try to sell. But a firm “Gracious, No” and they would move on down the beach. It didn’t help them that we, the Triumph, were the only ship in port. We were asked about massages for $25/ ½ hr or 2 for $20 but I negotiated for $15/ ½ for 7 people. They were wonderful. The kids collected shells and everyone got a henna tattoo from “George”. We bought T-shirts, a bag, hematite bracelets ($1 each), silver bracelets and rings. We fell in love with this poor town. We headed back toward the ship and went through the market place before boarding the bus. I had looked all over and asked everyone for toe rings and didn’t find them until the shop before getting on the ship. They were $10 each. I got two. I didn’t even think to barter with him.

I'm, also, a fan of Progreso, although, it seems to get bad reviews.

First trip there was way back in '90. Flew to Merida with our two sons (who were 8 & 11). We took a bus (yep, one of the old un-airconditioned types) and spent a really pleasant day in Progreso. Talk about a sleepy fishing village - that's definitely what it was in '90.

Have been back numerous times since and have warm memories.

we were just there also family group of 21. everyone just rode the bus at their leisure into town and then some of us rode the double decker bus which the kids really loved we were on top. It was a lot of fun and then we walked to the beach and found the rest of our group which was really easy, ordered drinks and food the kids swam and some of us rented jet skis. The vendors were not to pushy. as a matter of fact my son in law said he liked it better than cozumel not as touristy.

we were just there also family group of 21. everyone just rode the bus at their leisure into town and then some of us rode the double decker bus which the kids really loved we were on top. It was a lot of fun and then we walked to the beach and found the rest of our group which was really easy, ordered drinks and food the kids swam and some of us rented jet skis. The vendors were not to pushy. as a matter of fact my son in law said he liked it better than cozumel not as touristy.

Was it hard to fin jet skies? How much were they? I would love to do this again!

We took the Carnival Triumph to Progreso last March. It was a great town, with honest, hard working people. the beach was clean and the vendors were not pushy. We are going back again on March 30th. We will be sitting under a thatched umbrella on the beach across from El Mirador drinking margaritas. Then we will buy a few things on our way back to the ship. It should be a quiet and relaxing time. I forgot about the cheap massages.....perhaps we will just have to have one of those too.:)

Archived