Bayonne + Liquor

Crusing Nut

I am sailing from Bayonne on the Silhouette in Nov. We are stopping at 5 different ports, one of them being St. Thomas (US Virgin Island). I have been trying to find out how much alcohol I can bring into the Bayonne port per person. We are driving to the port and after 12 days at sea, we will be driving home.

According to various websites each person will have a 1600.00 allowance but St Thomas is claiming that we can bring in 5 litres each. Anyone have any experience with this?

I am sailing from Bayonne on the Silhouette in Nov. We are stopping at 5 different ports, one of them being St. Thomas (US Virgin Island). I have been trying to find out how much alcohol I can bring into the Bayonne port per person. We are driving to the port and after 12 days at sea, we will be driving home.

According to various websites each person will have a 1600.00 allowance but St Thomas is claiming that we can bring in 5 litres each. Anyone have any experience with this?

Since St .Thomas is a USport,the last info I had was you can bring back 5 bottles per person duty freeBut you have to purchase one of the bottles in St.Thomas.You are entitled to $1200 duty free goods per person since one of the ports is St.Thomas but the liquor must be included in the $1200.

If you see a really good deal on something you use a lot of, I suggest you not worry about the limits. Just declare everything when you return and customs will charge you a small duty. You'll still come out way ahead.

We brought back about 15 bottles last time we drove to a port.

Note that duty on liquor over your limit is about $3 per liter or less. It costs Customs about $12 to process paperwork to collect duty, so they usually do not collect unless you are significantly over. As a couple you will probably be able to bring in 12 liters or so without having any duty collected. A couple I am friends with brought back 13.5 liters last week and paid no duty. Note that duty free is for items for personal consumption. Once you get in the area of 15 liters or more, better be prepared to declare that you are not doing this as a business. Remember that 12 liters will weigh in excess of 25 pounds. Basically you can bring almost as much as you are willing to carry.

Thom

Note that all of this is predicated on you going to the USVI with its higher limits.

Archived