Epi-Pen & Inhaler in Camp Carnival

NCarolinaCruiser

My 3 yr. old daughter has a peanut and tree nut allergy and needs an epi pen with her. My 8 yr. old son has asthma and needs to have his Albuterol with him. Since I own more than 1 of these meds., do you know if they can be kept for the week in the children's areas? or Do I need to drop off and pick up meds each and every time I sign them in and out of camp? I called Carnival and they didn't seem to have the answer for me.

Do we need a doctors note or have a special form filled out for them to give this medicine if it's needed? I assume meds. need to be in the original box with prescription label attached? Any other tips or advice for this type of situation is appreciated! Thanks!

The camp staff will not administer any medication. They will allow you to leave the Epi pen and inhaler there. You have to return to give your child any medication. I assume in case of an emergency, they would call the ship's doctor.

My son also needs epipen and inhaler. I was assured that in case of emergency (which is only when they'd be necessary anyway) that they would administer them both if need be, as in cases like these literally SECONDS count and can you imagine the liability if the staff didn't take whatever measures were necessary considering they were aware of a medical condition? I take mine with my son when we drop him off and pick him up each time, unsure what the official policy is BUT I do know that a few times I've forgotten it in Camp and they weren't real concerned about it.

My son also needs epipen and inhaler. I was assured that in case of emergency (which is only when they'd be necessary anyway) that they would administer them both if need be, as in cases like these literally SECONDS count and can you imagine the liability if the staff didn't take whatever measures were necessary considering they were aware of a medical condition?

But what about the parent's liability? The parents know their child has a potentially life threatening condition, yet they drop their child off where they aren't available to administer this medication? The cruiseline makes it clear that they won't give medication. The parents are made aware of this; it's at the bottom of the Capers each day and also on Carnival's webpage:

The Camp Carnival Staff may not administer any medication and/or needles to any child participating in the Youth Activity Program. Additionally, no medications with the exception of epi-pens, diabetic testing equipment & inhalers are permitted in the playroom. If your child requires regular medication while attending Camp Carnival, parents must return to administer that medication.

Would they administer the meds anyway? No idea.

Straight from John Heald, "John Heald wrote: "The bottom line Stacey is that we have many children sail with us who have similar concerns. In case of an emergency yes, we would take care of the child in front of us. What we wont do is administor prescribed daily medication such as insulin etc. If you have any other concerns please let me talk to your friend her or I can have someone from Carnival call her".

I asked him on his Facebook page. You can contact him there if you have any other questions OP. Hope that helps.

But what about the parent's liability? The parents know their child has a potentially life threatening condition, yet they drop their child off where they aren't available to administer this medication? The cruiseline makes it clear that they won't give medication. The parents are made aware of this; it's at the bottom of the Capers each day and also on Carnival's webpage:

The Camp Carnival Staff may not administer any medication and/or needles to any child participating in the Youth Activity Program. Additionally, no medications with the exception of epi-pens, diabetic testing equipment & inhalers are permitted in the playroom. If your child requires regular medication while attending Camp Carnival, parents must return to administer that medication.

Would they administer the meds anyway? No idea.

I hope you are not trying to say that simply because a child has allergies or asthma that they should not be allowed to enjoy camp like the other kids?

Straight from John Heald, "John Heald wrote: "The bottom line Stacey is that we have many children sail with us who have similar concerns. In case of an emergency yes, we would take care of the child in front of us. What we wont do is administor prescribed daily medication such as insulin etc. If you have any other concerns please let me talk to your friend her or I can have someone from Carnival call her".

I asked him on his Facebook page. You can contact him there if you have any other questions OP. Hope that helps.

Thank you so much for asking him.

I hope you are not trying to say that simply because a child has allergies or asthma that they should not be allowed to enjoy camp like the other kids?

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. These types of children should be wrapped carefully in bubble wrap from birth, and keep in a hermetically sealed room.:rolleyes:

Archived