Hard Sided Luggage?

SeaSickie

We are leaving on a 14-day RT cruise from San Diego to the Hawaiian Islands on March 21 on HAL's Statendam. The ship's brochure recommended hard-sided luggage -- anyone have any experiences good or bad using soft-sided bags?

Thanks!

Although we've not had a bad experience with our soft-sided bags, we do always take at least one hard sided bag. In the hard-side bag, we pack things that are more breakable, like my blow-dryer, our toiletry kits, snorkel masks & tubes, etc. I always then pack my robe or something cushy in with those items to cushion them. If you've ever seen the cruise lines stack luggage b/f loading it on/off the ship, you'll know why they recommend hard-side! :D I don't believe the hard-side bag would completely protect those items in the event of a luggage handling disaster, but we've never found items broken in the hard-side bag. Of course, any really fragile items we bring home, I put in my carry-on.

Becki

We always used hard sided luggage. However, over the last two years, baggage handlers have managed to destroy two large pieces. Believe it or not, they actually punched a hole completely through one of the bags. They broke the wheels off another bag. We have now bought soft sided luggage since the hard side stuff doesn't appear to be of benefit.

Wow, we've never had a hole punched thru our hardside bags! I bought my hubby 2 hardside bags several years ago, since he travels frequently for business. The one bag took it pretty rough, losing wheels a number of times, and being cracked at the seam a couple of times. However, none of his items were ever broken, and Delta & NW have been very good about repairing or replacing the bag as needed.

Becki

• 2 weeks later...

We always use soft sided and have not had a problem yet with any of our travels. The key is packing your more breakable items near the center and pad them with clothing. On the ships, it is nice to be able to stuff the flattened cases under the bed so they take up less room in the cabin than hard sided bags.

If I have something very breakable, I take it with me as carry-on.

As a previous Buyer for a major department store chain, and a frequent cruiser, here's the skinny:

1. Regardless of what you take, there is a normal chance your bag may be damaged. This happens when they are loading/unloading baggage by stacking pieces ten to twenty pieces high on elevators and the metal 'cages' hoisted via forklife.

2. I recommend hardside or semi softside, i.e. framed but with sides which 'give'. The main purpose of luggage is to protect your belongings during travel, nothing more.

3. Careful packing helps more than you know. Choose the right size for what you are taking. Pack full but not overloaded. No fragile or 'must have' items in checked pieces--that's what your small carryon is for.

4. DH and I now use 25 year old Skyway plaid fabric semi softside luggage pieces ONLY for cruising. For our frequent everyday plane travel we use high denier nylon wheeled carryons bags from Travel Pro and sometimes whatever SteinMart has on sale. And, we know we will need to replace our 'airline travel' bags every few years. So we don't buy Hartmann or Tumi or Lark or Vuitton EVER.

Be glad to answer any luggage questions--have lots of experience!

Travel tip: Bring a dozen wire hangers (from the drycleaner) when you cruise--there are never enough for DH and me, and you can hang up damp clothes if necessary over the showerhead.

Archived