Jaguar Rescue Center

smoothsailingagain

Hi-

Check out this thread. Lots of good information. We used JJ (http://jjcostarica.bravehost.com) for our tour last November. It's a wonderful place but best done as part of a tour. It's off the "beaten track" and a taxi driver may not be able to find it. Also, it's a bit of a drive from Limon so a taxi could prove expensive. We did a the canal tour followed by the Rescue Center. There were 6 of us. Check the roll call for your cruise and maybe you can get together with a group already doing the tour.

<<<Karen>>>

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1193864&highlight=jaguar

• 2 weeks later...

We went with jj last week. He put us in a van with another couple. We had a private guide since the driver did not speak english. We stopped at a fruit stand on the way and tasted everything. The country was very pretty and you will love the drive. They are only open a short time each day so i would go with JJ.. It was alot of fun...

• 4 weeks later...
What is the best way to get to the Jaguar Rescue Center? Do you need to go with a private tour? Has anyone taken a taxi? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

We contacted Enrique Marshall Scott (who came recommended through this website) and booked a private tour with him for the whole day, starting with the Jaguar Rescue Center. Visiting the rescue center was definitely one of the most memorable highlights of our whole cruise. We instantly fell in love with baby sloths, they were just adorable! We also got a chance to interact with howler monkeys, to see red eye leaf frogs, more sloths, yellow snakes, toucans and a few more birds and animals.

Enrique took excellent care of the 3 of us, throwing a lot of extras along the way, like making a short stop at a friend's house where we had a chance to see our first sloth (Teresita) and iguana Pedro (on our way to the Rescue Center), and then proceeding to one of the most beautiful beaches where we had the best swim of our whole cruise (Manzanillo Beach). Enrique even treated us there to coconut milk from the choicest coconuts! We then had a delicious lunch and turned back toward Puerto Limon. On the way there we even managed to do a short tour of Cocoa Trails where we saw the cocoa fruit trees and observed the actual process of chocolate making - and then we could try it right there too!

The whole day was very exciting and I am very happy we have opted for Enrique's private tour where we had maximum freedom of choice and enjoyment!

In case you would like to contact Enrique Marshall Scott, "Strictly Business" tours, his email is

eventosinternacionalessb@yahoo.com.mx

(please do not omit the last part "mx", otherwise your email will bounce back to you).

His phone is (506)8897-0595

Good luck with your visit to Costa Rica

Just got back off the Coral Princess sailing April 4th.

in Costa Rico did a all day tour with Oscar Brown tours. that included the Jaguar Rescue Center, the canal boat ride, banana plantation, rain forest, and lunch in a pub on the beach, costs was 80 pp. this tour and tour operator is highly recommended. Here is some pictures from my trip. http://timstafford.net/panama-canal-cruise.htm

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

We just got back from taking a tour with Oscar Brown and went to the Jaguar Centre. This was BY FAR one of the best places I`ve been to in 26 cruises. The love and care that these animals get is amazing as are the people that operate is and volunteer there. Definitely worth the trip.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi-

Check out this thread. Lots of good information. We used JJ (http://jjcostarica.bravehost.com) for our tour last November. It's a wonderful place but best done as part of a tour. It's off the "beaten track" and a taxi driver may not be able to find it. Also, it's a bit of a drive from Limon so a taxi could prove expensive. We did a the canal tour followed by the Rescue Center. There were 6 of us. Check the roll call for your cruise and maybe you can get together with a group already doing the tour.

<<<Karen>>>

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1193864&highlight=jaguar

Hi Karen,

We are also thinking about doing a tour with JJ. We want to do the boat tour of the Tortuguero Canals and then go to Jaguar Rescue Center. Would you please share the time that your tour took and the cost?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Hi Karen,

We are also thinking about doing a tour with JJ. We want to do the boat tour of the Tortuguero Canals and then go to Jaguar Rescue Center. Would you please share the time that your tour took and the cost?

Thank you in advance for your help!

We are taking the tour the end of January. It is 100 dollars per person. It includes the jaguar research center, the canals, a beach stop and lunch. I also requested a super market shop to buy coffee and the sauce used all over Costa Rica. Jotrge has been quick to respond and communicates regularly. I think it will be great. I will let you know when I return. Karen

Re Jaguar Rescue Ctr. We had to change our plans. It was 5 hours to get there (one way) and the tour companies said it was a possible day trip from Puerto Limon, not where we are. So we will have to save it for another trip. sure sounds like a great place, though.

• 4 weeks later...

• We had a wonderful tour to the Jaguar Rescue Center, lunch at the beach, the Tortuguero Canals and a super market stop. Jorge came with his daughter who was a charming young lady and a very efficient driver for the van. There were eight of us and plenty of room. He was an excellent guide supplying us with local drinks, water and snacks on the trip. The Jaguar Rescue Center is a special place. The people who run it are in love with what they are doing and it shows. Do not miss going there if you are an animal lover. Next lunch at a local beach restaurant. Food was very good and it was nice to see the locals having fun. We then went on a boat ride on the Tortuguero Canals. Got to see lots of birds, caimans, sloths, iguanas, lizards, and monkeys. Last a stop at the local super market to buy coffee and Salza Linzano. Jorge recommended the brand and it was cheaper than on the pier. It was a wonderful day. Jorge is a very good guide, watching out for his passengers and keeping an eye on the time. It was a pleasure to spend the day with him. You felt like he was enjoying himself as well. He goes by Jorge's Tours. His name is Jorge Luis Ramirez Morales. His e mail is jorgel.cr@hotmail,.com.

• =kit23;31849051]We are taking the tour the end of January. It is 100 dollars per person. It includes the jaguar research center, the canals, a beach stop and lunch. I also requested a super market shop to buy coffee and the sauce used all over Costa Rica. Jotrge has been quick to respond and communicates regularly. I think it will be great. I will let you know when I return. Karen

• 3 months later...

We took a private tour with JJ Tours to the Jaguar Rescue Center. A detailed review with lots of pictures can be found in my cruise review at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1347741

Posts 16-23 are about our tour in Costa Rica.

I cannot express how great the day was for me and my family!!!

Archived