Obstructed Oceanview, sideway handicapped Cabins: Jewel class ships 8096, 8098

mking8288

There's been a number of threads looking for info on Gem/Jewel class ship's Obstructed, Oceanview cabins - sideway & handicapped accessible on Deck 8 - rather than responding to them individually, I've pulled up a number of photos that should be of help to those of you planning or considering booking such a cabin for future NCL Jewel class sailings. The information should be very similar to the Dawn but none of us had actually stayed in them.

These are applicable to Gem/Jewel's 8096, 8098, 8100, 8102 or 8596, 8598, 8600 or 8602 (roughly equivalent to Dawn's 8120, 8122, 8126 or 8128) on the starboard side and its equivalent portside. There are just 4 sideway cabins on each side, AFT section of the ship with 3 big "red" motorized tender/lifeboats outside your "picture" windows. The door opening is a bit wider than comparable cabins and there is room inside to navigate with the motorized wheelchairs (as well as "parking" it without blocking egress or the "hallway") You will get plenty of natural lights in the daytime (just remember to keep the curtain closed or at least not open them wide for privacy reasons) as crew members do walk outside on the catwalk to do inspection, maintenance, wash & clean, repair & paint, etc. but they do try to avoid "looking" into the cabins. In the early evening hours, lights outside the cabin overlooking deck 7 are turned ON but they do turn them off late night - no "eyeshades" needed.

Noise from deck 7 below, which is a designated path for walking except for late night & early morning hours, did not pose any problems for us at all. Children, usually, running up & down the hallway directly above the cabins and/or slamming doors are the problem - but, it could happen anywhere else on the ship so these cabins aren't immune to neighbors and adults "free styling" that are less than courteous. It's a very quiet area with crew only doorways on the opposite side including stairs/service elevators as it is above the gallery. Security does "patrol" and walk around the ship at all hours, as one time, our brother-n-law forgot to completely close their cabin's doorway and they knocked, asked if everything was fine and closed the door for him.

These are sideway cabins with a bunk bed that flip down from the wall just inside & aginst the doorway. The 4th bed is a trundle that is normally kept underneath one of the two beds (that can be combined as a Queen bed or split into two single beds - seeing the thumbnailed photos will explain it better.) For 2 people staying in such cabin, it is possible to turn the Queen bed 90 degree or sideway, leaving a bit of extra room to sit by the picture window to enjoy natural lights. (see the links to the webshot photos site for larger pix)

Storage space is plenty for cruising with a bit more open shelves that seemed to be easier to reach, and even the clothing rack inside the closet can be lowered for the person in a wheelchair. The bathroom is a lot bigger vs. the "standard" ones for an inside/OV and balcony cabin and is flat, no need to climb up 4 inches or so. The shower area is seperated by a moving curtain (no slide door) - just be careful about getting the floor area wet and slipping especially with rough seas. The mirror is adjustable and will tilt downward - everything is designed for the lowered seating/chair heights.

Cabin is measured, per NCL, at 181 sq. ft. vs. 161 sq. ft. Obstructions vary a bit, and 8096 has the least obstruction and pretty good view straight ahead (see pix from the cabin as we passed the Statue of Liberty starboard side as we left NY last month) There're 3x 110 volts electrical outlets for use (polarized, 3 prong type) but the coffee maker/water heater has been removed. Unpacked luggage/suitcases can be stored under the beds.

It has a shortcut to Deck 7, lobby/reception and to MDR mid ship by walking thru or pass the Blue Lagoon, now situated Deck 8 with the Tex-Mex or Teq. specialty restaurant (Salsa on the Dawn) just a short walk, place an order for a meal & asked for it "To Go" and in 10 minutes or less, you can take it back into the cabin to enjoy. It's a very walk to the AFT elevator (or stairs) and 1 of the 4 will take you down to deck 6 straight into the MDR, without going down the steps.

Happy planning & cruising ....

NCL-Jewel-Cabin.8096a.jpg.83110c0de1288633fb5424a1ac9f0d60.jpg

NCL-Jewel-Cabin.8096b.jpg.ef347e0cb566249a48a222e32c57f1ae.jpg

NCL-Jewel-Cabin.8096c.jpg.9f214ea1e960e3618295231f3b80e0c8.jpg

NCL-Jewel-Cabin.8096d.jpg.04e57eb413eccad5203edad873773cb7.jpg

366048156_Star8098OVCabinobstructedview.jpg.62f66695e07608b5088bb4ed077e73a1.jpg

1567548407_Star8098OVCabinw3beds.jpg.4615ce56512ae875dbb1199fdf990b28.jpg

1065734430_Star8098OVclosetbythedoor.jpg.802865b7b28f144bef39e8a0e6f0be39.jpg

1594951672_Star8098OVinterior2.jpg.dd4b1565ea457577e2aa25e06eb96589.jpg

1242179218_Star8098OVinterior3.jpg.99f371b1b60bc7820d79af736a57b71a.jpg

Hello mking8288,

I'm sailing on the Valor in July and have booked one of the new Scenic Ocean Views. While I was surfing through the boards, I stumbled across a link to a Carnival website that showed all of the room sizes and amenities. Since it seems that you have lots of "inside" information on all of the rooms, I was hoping that you might have the link. I don't think that the link was to the public website but more of a travel agents website.

If not, I have rooms 9200 and 9201 booked and I swear that I saw that these rooms were much larger than the normal ocean views.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
I'm sailing on the Valor in July and have booked one of the new Scenic Ocean Views.If not, I have rooms 9200 and 9201 booked and I swear that I saw that these rooms were much larger than the normal ocean views. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Wish I could be of help with Carnival info, sorry - have you search or google info at their forum & roll call section?

we will be on the gem in cabin 8096 this summer-any tips for us!!

thanks

It's quiet, just one row of 4 cabins starboard side in your case - FWD ahead around the corner is the shortcut to Blue Lagoon & Tex-Mex specialty restaurants (TM usually not open for lunch, good place to sit, relax, read & enjoy the sea with those huge windows) plus shortcut to main/atrium elevators down to lobby (or, walk down to deck 7 - if you could.) Walk back AFT and you're at the AFT elevators up to the buffet on deck 12 or down to MDR (or, walk down one level) for b'fast, lunch (when it's open) and dinner - only one of the elevator will go down to deck 6 for accessible/wheelchair entrance/exit for MDR.

It's quiet & crew areas/storage/passage on opposite side of cabins - bring a few "stickys" to leave note with room steward as they work fast & quite a challenge to catch & greet them with any special needs (i.e. empty mini bar for one's own use, fill folding cooler daily with ice.

If just 2 of you staying in cabin, it's roomy & easy for using the walker/wheelchair & even motorized scooter (and keeping it inside) - might want to turn the 2 beds 90 degree (or combined as Queen bed) against the hallway wall so you can have room by the obstructed window for natural light, or, split the bed up in the form of a revered L shape and you have a huge area in the middle to move around (refer to photos or floor plan).

Ask the steward for help if necessary.

Bring a 9' or 15' electrical extension cord so that you can easily bring things closer to the bed/window if needed for recharging.

Plus, bring along a small clip or jumbo safety pins to keep the heavy window curtains closed when you are inside, as crew do walk outside or passing thru doing work or maintenance by the life boats.

For the bathroom, get one of the hanging toiletry organizer as there's very limited "shelf" space at any height to keep everything for 2 people. The mirror is adjusted & can be tilted outward use, and, the floor can be wet & slippery after a shower but water will drain quickly away from the floor.

Call the reception/front desk upon boarding & let "guest services" know of any special needs and if you need help, those red emergency button will get their attention fairly quickly with a call back on house phone first.

Edited by mking8288

• 7 months later...
...Noise from deck 7 below, which is a designated path for walking except for late night & early morning hours, did not pose any problems for us at all. Children, usually, running up & down the hallway directly above the cabins and/or slamming doors are the problem - but, it could happen anywhere else on the ship so these cabins aren't immune to neighbors and adults "free styling" that are less than courteous. ....

Great informative post. I had an obstructed view on deck 8 on the Dawn last year. The noise from children running up and down the hallway is due to the fact that these rooms are inset into the hull, and are therefore directly under the deck 9 hallway. The running started at 5:00AM and would happen until 1:00AM or later the next morning. I personally would not book one of these rooms again.

Do you know by chance the square footage of the Jewel cabin #8096? Are they larger than the standard oceanview?

We were in 8096 on the gem in august and I am not sure the square footage but it was much bigger than the oceanview rooms. Our friends had a balcony and we all thought that the layout was much better than their also.

Enjoy

We were in 8096 on the gem in august and I am not sure the square footage but it was much bigger than the oceanview rooms. Our friends had a balcony and we all thought that the layout was much better than their also.

Enjoy

I'm just concerned about the 4 of us, and the sleeping arrangements. Any thoughts?

• 4 months later...

Thanks for all that information. We will be in 8096 and 8098 (Jewel) in a couple of weeks. Are they exactly the same on Gem/Jewel? I see you have Jewel 8096 and Gem 8098 or was it Star 8098. Can't go back & check now that I'm typing but I remember 8098 wasn't Jewel. Is it about the same? I'm going to take lots of pictures and post them when I get back.

There's been a number of threads looking for info on Gem/Jewel class ship's Obstructed, Oceanview cabins - sideway & handicapped accessible on Deck 8 - ra....

These are applicable to Gem/Jewel's 8096, 8098, 8100, 8102 or 8596, 8598, 8600 or 8602 (roughly equivalent to Dawn's 8120, 8122, 8126 or 8128) on the starboard side and its equivalent portside

Happy planning & cruising ....

• 7 months later...

Someone mentioned not enough, then ample storage space. Are there any drawers for storage or just the two closets & shelving along the side of them?

Is there a chair, couch, desk or vanity? I should definite send them with a shoe organizer. Is there anywhere to hang it outside the bathroom?

Are there any drawers for storage or just the two closets & shelving along the side of them?

Is there a chair, couch, desk or vanity? I should definite send them with a shoe organizer. Is there anywhere to hang it outside the bathroom?

Everyone has their own definition of ample storage space, I suppose, YMMV. Nevertheless, pix #8 came from NCL Star #8098 as taken in 2009 - there are 3 dresser drawers with the TV on top, the mini-safe and the ice box below it. On the far end is the mirrored vanity/desk with a low-profile drawer, good for storing electronic gadgets, cables, meds, maps & iPads, etc. plus 3 open shelves to the left (can't recall if there're 3 more on the right side) - great for towels, sweaters, rolled-up jackets, etc.

No couch - just a chair & a matching stool for the square table next to the dresser. And, between the bathroom door & the hallway is the full-height double closet w. adjustable shelves (also, life vests are stored inside on a shelf, with several open ones available) plus those open ones.

We used packing cubes to keep our items neat & easy to sort/reorganize, and find it quite manageable with just 2 of us. We took a 25" suitcase each and they fit below the bed, with the backpack nested inside, so no issues for us. For folks with 3 "huge" suitcases each and carryons - it would be a problem if they wanted everything neatly laid out & put away in drawers. Shoes can go under the beds so they might not need the organizer at all.

We do use a hanging toiletry organizer and yes, we could hang it over the bathroom door but we found hooks & ways of hanging it inside by the handwash sink. While I do carry a small roll of duct tape but I find that bungee cords (18", 36" & 48") are more useful & practical for various use, plus 3 or 4 spring-loaded clips (to keep the window curtains shut, etc.)

• 2 months later...

8102 is a fine room. Just fine though. No frills. Despite being a handicapped Accessible room it does have it's drawbacks. There was NO couch, just a small chair, no desktop storage space just a small table. The bed is soooo close to the room door that it DOES hit the mattress. The bed should be turned in another direction. The window is very big allowing light, despite the lifeboat obstruction. An excellent value.

Edited by Pack My Bags

• 3 years later...
Thanks for posting! We are in 8600 on the Jewel next week.

Hello,

Did you enjoy the cabin 8600 ?

I'd like to book a similar room on the Jade but I'm scared by the possible noise.

Thank you.

We had 8598 on the Jade and loved the room. No hallway noise. Very close to blue lagoon for morning coffee. Here's a link for the review I posted on the Jade last year with pictures of 8598. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2212965

http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r564/Kimberlyhaney/image.jpg3_zpssupyex8a.jpg?1432479821786

Edited by littlelulu01

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
We had 8598 on the Jade and loved the room. No hallway noise. Very close to blue lagoon for morning coffee. Here's a link for the review I posted on the Jade last year with pictures of 8598. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2212965

http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r564/Kimberlyhaney/image.jpg3_zpssupyex8a.jpg?1432479821786

thanks for the pics! We are on the Jewel in 8596 I was getting worried as we are taking GMA . I am still not sure where we will keep her mobility scooter!!