which Grade???

sailoruk

We are considering doing a Transatlantic (East bound) in June on QM2. We have been offered either a B2 or A4. any comments would be appreciated. Also Starboard or Port ? which? It also will be first time with Cunard - thanks

We are considering doing a Transatlantic (East bound) in June on QM2. We have been offered either a B2 or A4. any comments would be appreciated. Also Starboard or Port ? which? It also will be first time with Cunard - thanks

I would choose the B2 and starboard, so you will see the Statue of Liberty and will have whatever sun there is

I would choose the B2 and starboard, so you will see the Statue of Liberty and will have whatever sun there is

I second the captain's wise advice.

sailoruk, there are pictures of both A and B grade cabins, shots of the interiors of QM2, and photos both of crossing and cruising on QM2 via the link below. I hope they help.

Whatever you choose, a transatlantic crossing on QM2 is a wonderful experience, have a great time, Bon Voyage!

You will find that the A4 cabins have an obstructed view, which is caused by there being a lifeboat outside the balcony, whereas the B2 are called In Hull or sheltered balconies and are on the lower decks affording great views of the sea albeit you have no view of it whilst seated on the balcony as the wall is solid rather than being glass. You can however, use it in most sea conditions whereas the higher glass balconies are quite windy to sit on. I would never take a glass balcony on a TA and my preference is the B grade.

You will find that the A4 cabins have an obstructed view, which is caused by there being a lifeboat outside the balcony, whereas the B2 are called In Hull or sheltered balconies and are on the lower decks affording great views of the sea albeit you have no view of it whilst seated on the balcony as the wall is solid rather than being glass. You can however, use it in most sea conditions whereas the higher glass balconies are quite windy to sit on. I would never take a glass balcony on a TA and my preference is the B grade.

Well said Captain. My sentiments exactly.

Linda

Thanks for input. :)

We did our first TA in sept 2009 in a B1 which was perfect for the kind of weather on a TA. Like every body has said there is a sheltered balcony, we never sat out on it but loved it to pop out from time to time.

Loved the experience of a TA, been hooked ever since.

Going on QE in April, can't wait.

Enjoy the voyage, it will be magical.

Catherine

You have offered either a B2 or A4? Why is your selection of staterooms limited to just those two categories, if you don't mind my asking. -S.

You have offered either a B2 or A4? Why is your selection of staterooms limited to just those two categories, if you don't mind my asking. -S.

No Prob.:)

We could go for any Grade. It is to do with Glass or Metal, also if possible did not want a restricted view, although sailing the North Atlantic, all we would probably see is the Sea, Sea and more Sea:o - and for us we are looking at the various pricing options

Sailoruk

I don't know your circumstances,but just wanted to say,having done both the eastbound and westbound TA,I found the eastbound far more tiring-you lose an hour every night, whereas westbound, you gain an hour in bed.....I would choose WB every time...

I must say I'm a bit confused. I took a voyage (1st segment of the 2011 QM2 World Cruise in January.) We bought the tickets in October and as far as I could tell, the prices stayed firm up until the sailing.

We are now booked on a QV cruise in June and the pricing seems to be in a free fall. Our first quote about 3 weeks ago was $2000 more than we actually paid a week ago. A couple of days ago, I got a mailing from Cunard touting a similar price to what we paid with a discount travel agency. I won't be surprised if we end up paying quite a bit more than a late booking will grab.

Meanwhile, airline tickets this summer keep climbing to heights I've never seen before. I must say I'm mystified by cruise pricing. It now looks like to get the best deal, a cruiser has to wait until the last minute before bring out the "plastic". However to play that game, you have to be willing to wave goodbye to the ship if it gets sold out before you raise your hand.

And of course, there is NO legitimate FULL price like the MSRP on a new car. Wonder how the cruise industry gets away with this pricing policy?

It now looks like to get the best deal, a cruiser has to wait until the last minute before bring out the "plastic". Wonder how the cruise industry gets away with this pricing policy?

It is simply the law of supply and demand, sometimes it is better to buy early and other times there is an advantage to waiting. In the US, if the fares fall, those already booked get a reduction in their price as well or an upgraded cabin.

Archived