Dive Shops in Caribbean

J&KCruiser

I have been busy reviewing postings on Caribbean dive shops, in this forum and general web searchs, for a Oct 2011 cruises (14 day). While the list is growing, I have yet to find one company with shops on multiple Islands.

Does anybody know a dive company with multiple island shops?

Thanks in Advance

John

Thanks, I will look up Redsail.

So with limited responses I am going to assume that the dive shops in the island do not work together. Here is the list of island we are visiting in Oct 2011.

Falmouth - Jamacia

Grand Cayman

Cozumel

St. Thomas

St Mararten

An example of dive shop in multiple islands is Bathys/TopDive in French Polynesia (South Pacific). Not that I used their services but I met another diver that did the multi dive package for several islands.

So with limited responses I am going to assume that the dive shops in the island do not work together. Here is the list of island we are visiting in Oct 2011.

Falmouth - Jamacia

Grand Cayman

Cozumel

St. Thomas

St Mararten

An example of dive shop in multiple islands is Bathys/TopDive in French Polynesia (South Pacific). Not that I used their services but I met another diver that did the multi dive package for several islands.

Unusual to see St Thomas mixed in with a W. Caribbean itinerary. What ship are you booked on? I'd like to try that.

I'm a snorkeler, but often my trips are mixed with divers. Eagle Ray is well liked by divers and snorkelers at Cozumel. Mind you, they operate a small boat, but have first rate guides.

http://www.eagleraydivers.com/

Sunset House is a popular dive shop for cruisers and island visitors. It's located near the tender docks and receives very favorable reviews.

http://www.sunsethouse.com/

If they're booked up, try Eden Rock. It's even closer to the docks.

http://www.edenrockdive.com/

Unusual to see St Thomas mixed in with a W. Caribbean itinerary. What ship are you booked on? I'd like to try that. ...

RCCL Freedom consisting of two 7 day trips.

Thanks for other Dive shops. Here is the list I have been assembling and need to identify a couple of dive days out of the 14 day trip.

Can not paste table in-line but see attached pdf

Dive Shops.pdf

Falmouth - Jamacia

Grand Cayman

Cozumel

St. Thomas

St Mararten

French Polynesia is a dependant territory of France. A French Polynesian company going from Bora Bora to Tahiti would be the same as an American company going from California to New Jersey. Therefore it is not unusual to see Bathys/Top Dive shops on all the French Polynesian islands. If you go to Hawaii or Fiji there is no Bathys/Top Dive shops.

All the islands you mention are different countries. Scuba diving is really a business where local knowledge is king. For some international company to come in and try to establish a dive operation would be difficult. The people they would need to make them successful are the same people they would be competing against.

In other words, you really want to find a different, local shop for each island.

I know who people say are the best shops for many of these locations but I don't have first hand experience. So I'll leave it to others to recommend shops.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will be reviewing many of the dive shops on the different islands/countries and attempt to pick the ones that work best for experience level and schedules.

Good thing we have approx 6 mths before the trip. We may repeat some stops on Jan 2012 cruise and I can consider other dive shops at that time.

John

• 4 weeks later...

I lead one dive cruise group every year; independently and through Cruise Critic. We have dive boat charters in all the ports we dive and offer multi-port dive packages to our group members on every voyage; we make arrangements through a third party who coordinates the dives for us. Divers in the group can dive in all the ports of call or in one or two. I control where we dive and with whom, but they put together the dive boat charters.

There are companies out there that can bundle your dives in each port, but it won't be a charter like what we have - our's is exclusive to the group. I am not sure I can post the names of the companies that can do this, but you are welcome to email me for this information. Also, you are welcome to visit our group BLOG so you can see how the dives are bundled.

Suzi

Archived