Carnival & Triumph Review 2/26/11

gman0119

we got in line for non carnival excursions at about 7AM. The boat was due to anchor at 8AM, and the tender desk we were instructed to go to didn't open till 8AM. [...] Group #1 was called at about 8:20. [...] We got to the port about 8:45.

The excursion we were on told us that they have not had any trouble with other ships getting people to them. Just Carnival is showing muscle and keeping the non carnival crowd till later.

We ended up going back to the pier, since some of the other Carnival guests did not get in tender line early enough, and were delayed for a while. I have to stress this: IF YOU ARE TENDERING IN BELIZE, AND YOU AREN'T BOOKING THROUGH CARNIVAL, GET TO THE TENDER TICKET AREA EARLY!!!!! When we did leave the port, our load was the last bus of the day.

So we're on the Triumph next week and we're also booked on a non-Carnival cave tubing excursion in Belize (with the .bz guys).

If we weren't able to make it to the excursion desk as early as you were, what would you guess would be the latest time to line-up and still make it on the bus? Something before 8:30? 9:00?

Thanks for all the advanced info.

So we're on the Triumph next week and we're also booked on a non-Carnival cave tubing excursion in Belize (with the .bz guys).

If we weren't able to make it to the excursion desk as early as you were, what would you guess would be the latest time to line-up and still make it on the bus? Something before 8:30? 9:00?

Thanks for all the advanced info.

8:30 would probably be pushing it a little. It would probably be closer to 9. It will also depend on how many ships are there. There was only one other ship there the day we went (non Carnival) and most of it had already tendered, so we got just about all the tenders. If they are spread out between ships, it may be later.

How do you book the Chef's Table in advance?

Through John Heald's blog site. You can use the reply section, and for your first line just write: CHEF'S TABLE RESERVATION. Give your name, your ship name, sail date, and room number. John and staff forward that to the ship and the matre d will reply with a confirmation. Your request will not post on the blog, even though it looks like it!

th_CIMG0222.jpg

I think I found the right user. Is this you? If so you have to set your acount to allow you to show all the options for the links. That is why you are having problems, I think.

LMAO that's me, and we had had a few... Thanks for the info!

What is the Chefs tabls

For $75/person, you meet the executive chef, who takes you on a tour of the galley during early supper. You see the hussle and bustle, and he explains it all. While there, you get 3 or 4 appetizers and champagne. You then move to the dessert section, and a guest will help him make a Warm Melting Chocolate Cake for the guests to have later. You then go to where the 7 course meal will be served. Some of the other senior chefs are there and with unlimited red or white wine, you eat and eat and eat. He explains each serving, how and why it is made, what each segment on the dish does, etc. You also get a group photo for free, a rolled up copy of the menu, and each couple gets a free cook book with Carnvial recipes. It is about 3 hours or so long, and it is the experience of a lifetime!!! Our head chef loves doing it and made it even better!

You wouldn't happend to have any pictures of the room? We are going to be on that same floor in April and wanted to see what the room looked like.

there were 3 or 4 on the photobucket site. BTW, only Carnival ship I've been on that doesn't have a fridge in the room!

there were 3 or 4 on the photobucket site. BTW, only Carnival ship I've been on that doesn't have a fridge in the room!

Nope, she doesn't have a fridge. Was on her in January and I also feel she is in dire need of a dry dock. Second time on her. It's an easy port, (sixth time out of NOLA). The actual cruise terminal parking usually opens up about 10 AM. I read Fulton Place is cheaper and has great service.

Time for a little more! At work again, so I can't access photobucket, so I'll have to wait till tonight to put some photos.

Covered Belize, now off to Roatan! As I had mentioned in my first posting, I was really upset that the CD almost never used the word "Roatan". Instead, it was Mahogoney Bay. Blah, blah, blah... We booked independent again, and had to walk through the American style mall that Carnival built, leave the terminal and walk a couple hundred yards over a hill. From what I understand, if you don't want to walk it, or if you are disabled and it would be a stain, a taxi can take you for a couple of bucks. We booked an Extreme Zipline through Pirates of the Carribean. They gave very good directions on where to meet them and what to look for, and we had no trouble finding them. The driver they had was such a nice guy. He seems to be a little speech impaired, but he is a wonderful, sweet guy. Very friendly and good to be around. We got to the zipline HQ, and were outfitted with the harness to wear. Guys, and gals, leave your caps at the boat. You are required to wear a helmet. Since I don't have a bunch of hair, I always wear a cap. Our driver kept our caps for us, so no big deal. What I really like about Pirates is that their lines are double lines. Stability is much better. Each line is rated at about a ton a piece, so I don't think anyone will burden a line... LOL They do have a max weight, but I think that is probably for the size of the harness. The max, I think was in the mid 300's. The first zip we did was about 1000 meters long and a couple hundred meters high! It was absolutely GREAT!!! I had a video camera with me, so I videod each station we did. I will do this excursion again if I go back to Roatan! A notice for you, though: If you book with them, the schedule they give you will say that they will have you back on the boat with an hour or half and hour to spare. Well, the zips, since there were 4 people in our group only lasted about an hour, so we had the majority of the day left! If you do schedule this, you may want to schedule something else for the rest of the day.

I'll try more tonight when I'm home and can access photos!

th_CIMG0222.jpg

I think I found the right user. Is this you? If so you have to set your acount to allow you to show all the options for the links. That is why you are having problems, I think.

Gman, your first name wouldn't happen to be Glen?? My husband and I worked with you at the CPSO!

Gman, your first name wouldn't happen to be Glen?? My husband and I worked with you at the CPSO!

Holy cow!!! That's me! Now you gotta reveal who you are! I've been there 27 years, so I've met a bunch! LOL

If you want, I can email you photos. You can reach me at cruizinat50 at gmail dot com

Archived