Timing for an Amtrak train in Boston?

Loucat

We are on Jewel this fall and cannot find a flight that meets our needs. Does anyone know the distance from the cruise terminal to the Amtrak downtown station? What is the earliest train we could make? Do you know if we would need for a car service in advance? Thanks so much, as this is unknown territory for us. Amtrak has a train leaving at 11:40 AM.

We are on Jewel this fall and cannot find a flight that meets our needs. Does anyone know the distance from the cruise terminal to the Amtrak downtown station? What is the earliest train we could make? Do you know if we would need for a car service in advance? Thanks so much, as this is unknown territory for us. Amtrak has a train leaving at 11:40 AM.

Off the top of my head, I'd say it's about two miles. (I've walked it a few times; roughly a half hour, at my stride, hauling a bag on wheels in snowy weather. Not really recommended, though.)

Without knowing exactly what time your ship is due to dock, but assuming you will be off by 10 or 10:30 at the latest (and probably somewhat earlier than that), an 11:40 Amtrak departure from South Station should give you more than enough time.

Other posters will be able to give you info re. car- or taxi services.

Unless you're unduly burdened with luggage, you might want to consider taking the T's "Silver Line" from the cruise ship terminal to South Station. Upon leaving the Black Falcon Cruise Terminal, go to the left and walk to the west end of the facility. On the opposite side of the street is the terminal for the SL2 branch of the Silver Line. For $2.00 (exact fare, please), the Silver Line goes direct to South Station in 9 minutes travel time. It is every 5 to 10 minutes on weekdays, every 15 minutes on weekends. You can find additional information here http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/subway/lines/?route=SILVER.

Otherwise, it is about 1-1/2 miles in distance. Very short by taxi, quite doable on foot if luggage is not an issue.

One caution, on the roundtrips this should be fine, but if you are on the transatlantic it might be tight. We didn't make it off the ship until after 10:30am - and we were in one of the first 5 groups. But this was due to the extra issues involved with a ship returning to the US for the first time in awhile.

As others have said, the trip from the cruise terminal to Amtrak's South Station is very short; either taxi or the Silver Line would be perfect...

That being said; If it were me, I would book the 135pm train. If you get to South Station early enough you can try and get on the earlier train.

Aloha,

John

I much appreciate your exact information. I sailed out of Boston on Jewel 3 years ago, and only remember being surrounded by warehouses!

Indeed that is a good description of the area!

Recently, when I've been planning travel, I've been making much use of the street view within Google Maps. Using this view while at home will allow you to explore much of the local detail, including surrounding landmarks, sidewalks, bus stops, and so much more. Where a particular thing might be either to the left or to the right, the street view allows one to go both directions from the comfort and convenience of home, and then be able to stride with confidence once in that local in person. Interestingly enough, Google has been good enough to include Mexico within its street view database, but unfortunately, the Caribbean has not yet been so photographed (I hope that will change soon, but I understand how there might be difficulty and expense in getting the car camera equipment to and from each island.)

For Boston, go to this page in Google Maps. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Boston,+MA&aq=0&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=35.547176,56.513672&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Boston,+Suffolk,+Massachusetts&ll=42.344018,-71.03381&spn=0.001021,0.002747&z=19 Then drag pegman (the orange man above the slider on the left) to the intersection of Black Falcon Av and Design Center Pl (right on top of the square marking "Boston Beer"). Do a 360-degree turn and you'll see the west end of the Black Falcon Cruise Terminal. "Walk" down Black Falcon Av towards the cruise terminal, and after three clicks of the mouse you will be right at the "Silver Line" bus stop going towards South Station. Keep "walking" along Black Falcon Av some more (by clicking the mouse) and you'll see the entrances into the cruise terminal itself.

One caution, on the roundtrips this should be fine, but if you are on the transatlantic it might be tight. We didn't make it off the ship until after 10:30am - and we were in one of the first 5 groups. But this was due to the extra issues involved with a ship returning to the US for the first time in awhile.

I want to be sure that I understand your post. We will be getting off a 7 night Canada/New England cruise. The next sailing is the same. Do you see that as an issue?

Indeed that is a good description of the area!

Recently, when I've been planning travel, I've been making much use of the street view within Google Maps. Using this view while at home will allow you to explore much of the local detail, including surrounding landmarks, sidewalks, bus stops, and so much more. Where a particular thing might be either to the left or to the right, the street view allows one to go both directions from the comfort and convenience of home, and then be able to stride with confidence once in that local in person. Interestingly enough, Google has been good enough to include Mexico within its street view database, but unfortunately, the Caribbean has not yet been so photographed (I hope that will change soon, but I understand how there might be difficulty and expense in getting the car camera equipment to and from each island.)

For Boston, go to this page in Google Maps. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Boston,+MA&aq=0&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=35.547176,56.513672&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Boston,+Suffolk,+Massachusetts&ll=42.344018,-71.03381&spn=0.001021,0.002747&z=19 Then drag pegman (the orange man above the slider on the left) to the intersection of Black Falcon Av and Design Center Pl (right on top of the square marking "Boston Beer"). Do a 360-degree turn and you'll see the west end of the Black Falcon Cruise Terminal. "Walk" down Black Falcon Av towards the cruise terminal, and after three clicks of the mouse you will be right at the "Silver Line" bus stop going towards South Station. Keep "walking" along Black Falcon Av some more (by clicking the mouse) and you'll see the entrances into the cruise terminal itself.

Thank you for the link. I will play around with it more. The pics of the area are great.

Archived