Luggage Valet

jmcdon7230

Sorry, but it sure is nice that NCL doesn't have prices anywhere close to Princess. Stick with what you love. We have always had our luggage in a timely manner but we pack other clothes in our carry just in case. Princess passengers do it too from what I've heard.

Ill be the 1st to chime in.. For 100 bucks per item Ill haul drag carry my own luggage.. think about it.. 2 bags each for 2 people.. cost 400 bucks.. No thankyou thats almost the cost of a whole cruise for me.. (i paid 449 plus taxs and fees for my 7day cruise) i am by no means rich i work for a living

I wonder how many people use it. It could get expensive, even considering the charge for checked bags on airlines. It says they pick up bags 7 days before you leave. I can't imagine what my clothes would look like after being in a suitcase for a week. I'm not talented enough when it comes to packing to avoid wrinkles.

I got all excited about this (my husband just had shoulder surgery, we have a cruise coming up) until I read all the fine print.

My husband thinks my bags would run the price of the cruise fare ("...start as low as $90 each way"). He's under the mistaken impression that my luggage are what dislocated his shoulders. I'm an excellent packer, I don't know WHAT he's talking about... ;)

You also still have bags to take care of with your medicines, toiletries, etc.

SUCH an excellent idea, though. Just wish it was less pricey and more inclusive.

I totally agree with the OP as well. But my reasons are a bit different. Mind you, I would probably never use the service for either my husband's or my own bags but I sailed on Princess when my daughter turned 1, 2 years ago and I used this service for many of her things, like the diapers, swimmies, formula, baby carrier, etc.... I can go on and on. This was such a blessing and really relieved us of having to carry a ton of bags.

I too wish that NCL would incorporate this policy. I actually called to ask them as soon as I booked our cruise this June. I was a definately disappointed.

As far as Princess being much more expensive.... I disagree. I think they're possibly a tad bit higher, but still less than RCL. We find Princess to be quite reasonable.

I totally agree with the OP as well. But my reasons are a bit different. Mind you, I would probably never use the service for either my husband's or my own bags but I sailed on Princess when my daughter turned 1, 2 years ago and I used this service for many of her things, like the diapers, swimmies, formula, baby carrier, etc.... I can go on and on. This was such a blessing and really relieved us of having to carry a ton of bags.

I too wish that NCL would incorporate this policy. I actually called to ask them as soon as I booked our cruise this June. I was a definately disappointed.

As far as Princess being much more expensive.... I disagree. I think they're possibly a tad bit higher, but still less than RCL. We find Princess to be quite reasonable.

You are right, Princess is less than RCI/Celebrity but as for the service. OK, so NCL offers it or some wish they would, I don't see it going over too well. To be honest, at the prices they are charging, I will gladly handle my own bags. I understand your choosing to use the service when you had a toddler, I guess that is one reason I wouldn't cruise with a toddler, too much hassle. Of course this is my opinion, others disagree.

Nita

On a top end balcony on NCL, Princess is $500 per stateroom higher than NCL and they don't list any high end balconies. For $500 I can do a lot of things. If I were to choose a lower level balcony on NCL the difference would be closer to $800 per cabin. Quite a bit of difference?????:D

Sorry to diappoint you but Princess is offering a 9 day cruise to the Caribbean from NYC the same day I'm leaving on NCL on a 7 days cruise to the Bahamas/Florida. Balcony prices are currently the same. Insides/Oceanview/Suites are slightly higher (about $200) but its 2 extra days and in my opinion the itinerary is much better. That's pretty reasonable in my eyes. We really have to compare apples to apples here.

We chose the NCL Jewel because of the Nick activities for our 2 1/2 year old and we were willing to try a different cruise line. Its all about the kiddie!:D

Sorry to diappoint you but Princess is offering a 9 day cruise to the Caribbean from NYC the same day I'm leaving on NCL on a 7 days cruise to the Bahamas/Florida. Balcony prices are currently the same. Insides/Oceanview/Suites are slightly higher (about $200) but its 2 extra days and in my opinion the itinerary is much better. That's pretty reasonable in my eyes. We really have to compare apples to apples here.

We chose the NCL Jewel because of the Nick activities for our 2 1/2 year old and we were willing to try a different cruise line. Its all about the kiddie!:D

It is very hard to compare prices unless you are comparing exact ports and similar cat ships. yes, sometimes Princess will run the same or even a little lower, that can happen with any cruise line, but the norm is, NCL is a little less expensive 99% of the time, sometimes it is a lot less expensive. We did choose Princess a few years ago because the ships ships (NCL and Princess) were almost identical in size, age, cabins sizes etc and the itineary was almost the same: Princess was a few $$s cheaper.

Nita

if the prices were a bit lower it would def be something i would consider!! we will be cruising in nov 2012 (i know, its so far away, i dont know how im going to wait that long!!!!) and we will have our 1 yr old and 3.5 yr old and that would make the whole experience way easier!!!!

@ aelittleb...trust me, the luggage service made things so much easier and really put my mind at ease. It was just a huge help with the little one. I feel it was definately worth the money. It is not cheap by any means, but we felt it was worth it for us. Ofcourse, some won't go for it but isn't it nice to have the option? I think so.

@newmexicoNita...I hear you and you really do have to compare the same itinerary, # of days, etc. but my point was just that Princess isn't always that much more expensive. A little research and proper timing goes a long way.

To each his own and we are all entitled to our opinions.

Happy cruising everyone!:D

@ aelittleb...trust me, the luggage service made things so much easier and really put my mind at ease. It was just a huge help with the little one. I feel it was definately worth the money. It is not cheap by any means, but we felt it was worth it for us. Ofcourse, some won't go for it but isn't it nice to have the option? I think so.

@newmexicoNita...I hear you and you really do have to compare the same itinerary, # of days, etc. but my point was just that Princess isn't always that much more expensive. A little research and proper timing goes a long way.

To each his own and we are all entitled to our opinions.

Happy cruising everyone!:D

i never thought about a luggage service before, but do they exist, other than what princess offers? like is there some outside service that does it?

@ aelittleb - I think Princess uses an outside company for the luggage valet but I haven't found any other provider of this service online. I would be skeptical using anyone else for fear that the luggage would never arrive. At least going through Princess you have some security.

As I remember, we had to pack up my daughter's stuff about a week prior to the cruise for pickup. We didn't use the service for the trip home as so many of the items that we started with, such as diapers and wipes, were gone. You can choose to have the service one way or both ways.

I'm laughing because I thought of Rainman when I read that! Thank you for the quick chuckle!:D

And I agree - the rates are high.

*grin* Thanks for catching that tone... I meant that voice when I wrote it! :D I do love to laugh at my own foibles.

Another option for people... Have FedEx or DHL ship a box to your hotel and ask for it when you check in. Or have a grocery service deliver baby supplies to your hotel.

Hope that helps!

@ aelittleb - I think Princess uses an outside company for the luggage valet but I haven't found any other provider of this service online. I would be skeptical using anyone else for fear that the luggage would never arrive. At least going through Princess you have some security.

As I remember, we had to pack up my daughter's stuff about a week prior to the cruise for pickup. We didn't use the service for the trip home as so many of the items that we started with, such as diapers and wipes, were gone. You can choose to have the service one way or both ways.

They use DHL. If you click on the link the OP provided the information is there.

Archived