Galveston/Gulf weather in September

tinman47

Newbie here...planning first cruise from the sand box...have read most entries for lst timers and for this thread, too. Concerned about being seasick, so have decided to go in Sep, and depart from either Galveston or Port Canaveral. Question: is Sep early enough to avoid bad weather in the Gulf/Mexico areas? This is our first trip, but want to go on Transatlantc if all goes well this time. Have question re Carnival, but will post on their thread. Totally blown away by the amount of usefull information on this site! Thanks to all.

Newbie here...planning first cruise from the sand box...have read most entries for lst timers and for this thread, too. Concerned about being seasick, so have decided to go in Sep, and depart from either Galveston or Port Canaveral. Question: is Sep early enough to avoid bad weather in the Gulf/Mexico areas? This is our first trip, but want to go on Transatlantc if all goes well this time. Have question re Carnival, but will post on their thread. Totally blown away by the amount of usefull information on this site! Thanks to all.

Hurricanes are so unpredictable - take it from one who lives near the Gulf coast. Hurricane season runs till end of November.

Just get cruise insurance to be safe. Can't predict the weather. We have been in a cat 5 hurricane in mid November in the British Virgin Islands, live on an island that was devastated in 1900 and 1908, had tornadoes and flooding in England in November, 2000 so you just have to take chance.

Transatlantics are fabulous. The Atlantic has always been smooth as glass. Can't say the same for the Mediterranean though.

Never been seasick.

Really there is no way to know. When did Katrin hit? I know it was after school had started in September because we got a lot of kids from NO. Wait until the middle of November to be safe if you are not a gambler. The ships most likely will still sail, but to different ports to keep out of harms way.

Nancy

Really there is no way to know. When did Katrin hit? I know it was after school had started in September because we got a lot of kids from NO. Wait until the middle of November to be safe if you are not a gambler. The ships most likely will still sail, but to different ports to keep out of harms way.

Nancy

Katrina hit Aug. 29th, Hurricane Rita was Sept. 23rd, an Hurricane Ike hit on Sept. 13th. We had to evacuate for Rita and Ike which is a major pain in the neck! Peak hurricane season here is around Sept. 10th. With that said, we have sailed out of Galveston in mid-September and the seas in the Gulf were the calmest I have ever seen! There was not a ripple in the water. Some of the worst we've experience is January and February when those cold fronts come through and kick up the seas. So, you never know what Mother Nature has in store for you! :rolleyes:

Thanks for your help and information - it was what I really needed. Apologize for not responding sooner to your inputs, but I have read so much about cruises lately that I had to back off a couple of days to let most of it sink in. Decided to book in late November - better to have an enjoyable cruise onbetter seas, than to just jump onboard at a someewhat more convient date. Going to drive down from Kansas City, anyway, so will make a longer pre-stay in Galveston. Thanks again, all.

Archived