Still confused about anytime dining

tlcs

I understand about the times of anytime dining, I'm just confused about the seating arrangement. It's just my husband and I. When you arrive for dinner, do they seat you automatically with other people or at a table for 2? If you ask to be seated with others, do you end up waiting at an empty table until they find others to sit with you? I just don't want dinner to be awkward. On our last cruise we sat at a big table with lots of other people, (late seating) but they all new each other and didn't really talk to us. On our first cruise, (late seating) we sat at a table with 3 other couples, and no one knew each other till the end. We had a grate time. I guess my ideal table would be to sit with other couples that don't all know each other, and I would rather not be seated at a table where we have to wait for other couples to show up to eat. Any info on how this all works would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

When checking in, they asked us if we would like to be seated with others. Most nights we requested a table for 2 instead (or however many we were eating with, we were traveling with a family group). We were then seated right away or with a very short wait.

I have never cruise with Carnival and was wondering the same things. So In reading on these threads the last few months I have seen reviews and other comments about any time dining.

What I have read is that you get a table for two but in many cases it is six inches away fron another table for two and can be awkward at times. I also saw a picture in someones review. I cannot remember the name of the review however I am sure you will receive more comments.

I see that the OP is sailing on Glory... we were on Freedom, so maybe the dining room layout is similar. A few nights, we were seated at the tables that were very close to the tables around it. Other nights, we had regular tables that were not overly close, and two nights we were seated at a table where one person since on the booth-like bench and the other person is in a chair. We liked this, as we had tables nearby, but they were a few feet apart. Hope that helps!

When you arrive at the maitre d's desk they will ask if you would like to sit with others. We always say yes. It's never been awkward. The table usually fills up pretty quickly - usually before we can even decide on what we want to order. The waiter usually brings your menu as soon as you sit down but doesn't start taking orders until the table is full.

Everyone introduces themselves, says where they're from - polite chit chat sort of thing. I've met some very interesting people that way.

Don't be concerned with how it will go - it will be very easy - the maitre d' and waiters are all very professional.

If you want a table for 2 just ask for that right away and they will accommodate you.

We asked for a table for two the first couple of nights, then were seated with some nice people we met during the cruise, for the rest of the cruise.

I will NEVER cruise without Your Time Dining again.

It is 100% more enjoyable than early or late dining.

Bill

I understand about the times of anytime dining, I'm just confused about the seating arrangement. It's just my husband and I. When you arrive for dinner, do they seat you automatically with other people or at a table for 2? If you ask to be seated with others, do you end up waiting at an empty table until they find others to sit with you? I just don't want dinner to be awkward. On our last cruise we sat at a big table with lots of other people, (late seating) but they all new each other and didn't really talk to us. On our first cruise, (late seating) we sat at a table with 3 other couples, and no one knew each other till the end. We had a grate time. I guess my ideal table would be to sit with other couples that don't all know each other, and I would rather not be seated at a table where we have to wait for other couples to show up to eat. Any info on how this all works would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

We didn't like anytime dining because we asked to be seated with others and they would bring us to an empty table to "start" it and then we waited and waited for others to arrive. They wouldn't take orders from the table until it was filled probably so they wouldn't have to make more than one trip. No more anytime for us.

Mom and I tried Your time dining on the Inspiration..first night was 'rough'' as a table for two, as the table for 4 next to us ( VERY next to us) was filled with 4 young men who didn''t seem to have much respect for those seated around them. It was very uncomfortable.

Fortunately, we had a small roll call on this last cruise, and by the second night, we'd become a table for 5!:) We had a phenomenal wait staff ( Julius Ceasar, David and Mandic ( you can imagine the fun the 4 'boys' had with that name..:(:rolleyes:), and asked for them every evening.

The only other issue with YTD is trying to work around the different show times... we chose to eat at 7, and by the time we usually finished eating, we had missed the second show!

Every cruise my buddy and I have been on, we have always sat at a big table, and made friends with our table mates. This is one of the things we look forward to most! lol! Fun to see where everyone is from... And... After a day or 2, we try to get to dinner first so that we sit in different seats each night just to throw everybody off! lol!

But we always like going to dinner each night to catch up with our mates... see what everyone did that day... etc...

We chose late seating again... coming up next month... It will be interesting to see the anytimers... get their opinions...

We did anytime dining on the Destiny in December and loved it..they NEVER asked us if we wanted to sit with anyone which was fine with us...We were also surprised and they gave us the same wait staff every night!! We were also very happy...Will never do traditional Seating...We have Anytime Seating on the Liberty for our Thanksgiving Cruise as well...

We didn't like anytime dining because we asked to be seated with others and they would bring us to an empty table to "start" it and then we waited and waited for others to arrive. They wouldn't take orders from the table until it was filled probably so they wouldn't have to make more than one trip. No more anytime for us.

That's exactly what I'm afraid of! :( It sounds like most of the responses are positive experience, so if they ask if we would like to be seated with others when we check in, we will. Otherwise, we'll just sit by ourselves.

Thanks for all the info!

Thanks!

We did Anytime Dining last April, but chose to early dining this trip. I have no complaints about ATD, really. We were never asked about sitting with others, but it could have been because there were 3 of us (Me, DH & DD8)) We did miss meeting new people at dinner & getting to chat, but the tables at ATD are rather close together. We were actually seated close to the same people each evening & spoke to them. They were all really pleasant. Also, we had a different waitstaff every night & I missed the experience of them getting to know you, interacting with our daughter, etc. If we'd been assigned ATD though, I'd be content with that. Enjoy yourself either way.

If want to sit with other people you don't know..why not just opt for either early or late dining in the traditioanl dining room?

To me, the whole point of using anytime dining is so you DON'T have to sit with strangers or others...

Just my opinion.

]

Yes, and if they finally did take your order, someone would arrive. Then if you sit at a two top - you might as well be sitting at a ten top because the tables are SOOO close together.

Plus we found ourself going to the dining room as soon as it opened - AND seeing the same ANYTimers there everynight. SO we only do early. Plus we eat alone at home. We would rather sit at a large table. Even if they all know each other, we can listen and have stories for when we home. :p

If want to sit with other people you don't know..why not just opt for either early or late dining in the traditioanl dining room?

To me' date=' the whole point of using anytime dining is so you DON'T have to sit with strangers or others...

Just my opinion.[/quote']

Actually this isnt true..We do anytime dining because we like to know we can eat when we want and not have to feel rushed we will miss our seating...We have no issues with sitting with other people It just works to our schedule..

We have done YTD on the last 3 cruises. When we cruise with another couple, we always get a table for 4 without asking. When we cruise alone, we try to get a table with others. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. If we find a waitstaff that we really like, we request and get them every night, sometimes with a minimal wait. We like the variety of choice that YTD offers and will pick it every cruise.

I'd do YTD again, but I'm one of those who found it somewhat awkward. We asked for a table for two each night, and there were three in a row, separated by about 12 inches. It was difficult to decide whether the people at the nearby tables wanted to dine on their own (as was our intention) or be engaged in conversation.

Half of the time we ended up visiting with people, half of the time we didn't. When we didn't, our own conversation was awkward because it was nearly impossible not to eavesdrop or be overheard.

For a group of four or six, at least on Splendor, it would work very well as there's more separation between the tables.

There's a link to Splendor YTD tables in post #7 on this thread.

Because sometimes 6 is too early to eat dinner and 8 is too late to start eating dinner.

YTD is also great because of the table flexibility, not only the time. When my husband and I cruised with Celebrity last November we did their version of YTD. There were nights when we ate alone and nights when we met up with people and went to dinner with them or just asked for a larger table when we got to the dining room. Even when we had a table for 2 and it was close to someone else we did not feel obligated to hold a conversation with them but could if we chose to. While we did not get to know a few people really well as you would with traditional dining, we got to know a lot of people on a basic level and then re-encountered them throughout the rest of the trip. Ultimately we met far more people than we would have just doing traditional dining. We also found a waiter that we really liked and were able to request him each evening with little to no wait. We are definitely doing ATD on our upcoming Dream cruise.

I have never cruise with Carnival and was wondering the same things. So In reading on these threads the last few months I have seen reviews and other comments about any time dining.

What I have read is that you get a table for two but in many cases it is six inches away fron another table for two and can be awkward at times. I also saw a picture in someones review. I cannot remember the name of the review however I am sure you will receive more comments.

Many restaurants in NYC, (such as Carmine's) seat you very close to the people next to you.. esp when one side's a bench, and other side is a chair.. Just go with it, enjoy, make the best outta every situation.

I have been debating over YTD or the late dining, as there will only be two of us. I'm not really keen on eating with a bunch of people we don't know, especially since we'll be on our honeymoon. If we can ask for a table for two and get it, then I will probably go with YTD. Good to know all this stuff.

Every cruise my buddy and I have been on, we have always sat at a big table, and made friends with our table mates. This is one of the things we look forward to most! lol! Fun to see where everyone is from... And... After a day or 2, we try to get to dinner first so that we sit in different seats each night just to throw everybody off! lol!

But we always like going to dinner each night to catch up with our mates... see what everyone did that day... etc...

We chose late seating again... coming up next month... It will be interesting to see the anytimers... get their opinions...

I really dislike that after the first night everyone expects to sit in the same seat...I like to move around and get to talk to others at the table without talking across the table....How about everyone else?....dennis

I really dislike that after the first night everyone expects to sit in the same seat...I like to move around and get to talk to others at the table without talking across the table....How about everyone else?....dennis

I agree Dennis!

lol

It's funny when people walk up and get a confused look of "someone is in our seat" but they get over it quickly...

We both live in the country back home... so this is socializing time for us!

:-)

Archived