SPLEANDOUR of the Seas - Greek Isles Tendered Stops

Hey Guys

Sailing on Spleandour of the Seas on 12 April and see on the itinerary we have a few TENDERED stops in Santorini and Mykonos etc.. How does these work? Are tendered stops for free or do you have to pay a "transfer fee" to get onto land?

I'm sure you'll get more replies once America wakes:), but basically, the tender is free. Usually large boats supplied by the port authority, sometimes supplemented by a couple of the ship lifeboats. Sometimes you need to go to a designated lounge once you are ready to disembark in order to pick up numbered tender tickets, but recently I've noticed that you don't always need tickets, you just make your way to deck 2 and get on the tender. Depending on what time you want to leave the ship, it can sometimes be a bit of a scrum in the hallway queueing to get onto the tender. Details will be in the daily programme delivered to your cabin, and announcements will also be made in public areas by tannoy.

Tendering is free.

We didn't tender in Mykonos. There is a new dock for cruise ships a couple of kms north of the town which Splendour uses. You can walk into Mykonos from there but it's probably not recommended due to the road/heat. A regular shuttle bus was available but cost a few euros each.

That said, another cruise line did tender into Mykonos while we were there - so perhaps depends on how busy it is on any given day?

We were due to tender in Mykonos but actually docked and were told that it all depended on which ship was first in - the first in gets to dock.

If you don't have an excursion planned in Santorini I would wait until the rush for tenders dies down. Once you get off the tender the only way up is a very steep climb either on a donkey or walking on a path which donkeys travel up and down (with all the mess that ensues :eek:) or on the cable car. The lines for the cable car will be very long particularly if other ships are in port.

wikusdutoit- We'll be on the same cruise a month later. I would LOVE a report back on how to get into town in each port. From what I can gather:

Split - tender right into town

Corfu - Dock about 10 minutes from town (but haven't been able to figure out if its ten minutes walking or on a shuttle)

Athens - Dock. Cab or 20-30 minute walk and metro into Athens

Souda/Chania - Souda is about 20 minutes from Chania, I have found references to a local bus from Souda to Chania, but haven't been able to find the schedule on-line.

Mykynos - Tender into town, but others say you may dock even if tender is listed. If docked, will need a short shuttle or a long walk into town.

Santorini - Ship's tours get off first and tender to one spot. Then the ship repositions to allow all the other people to tender into Fira (need to take a donkey, a cable car, or a steep walk up into town)

Katakalon - Dock right near town.

If you could report back on if RRCL provided shuttles in Corfu or Mykynos (if docked instead of tendered), or if it's short enough for able-bodied people to walk, I would really appreciate it!

If you could report back on if RRCL provided shuttles in Corfu or Mykynos (if docked instead of tendered), or if it's short enough for able-bodied people to walk, I would really appreciate it!

Things may have changed by this summer but our experience is that we docked in Mykonos and the ship provided a free shuttle to the place where the tender boats would normally drop off. In Corfu there is a RCL shuttle but you have to pay for it (I seem to remember around $6 each way). You could walk but would need a good map and it's around 30 mins walk. We tried it and got lost - ended up taking us a LONG time so we caught the shuttle bus back :rolleyes:

You are right in that the quickest way off the ship in Santorini is by taking a ship's tour. We did this in order to get away quickly. The tenders go to a different dock where buses pick you up to take you on the tours. The problem with this is that it means everyone arrives in Oia at the same time. When we were there we were bus no 13 (of 16) and there was an even larger Costa ship in at the same time. The pretty village was overrun with tour groups, shoulder to shoulder down the narrow streets and the lines for the cable car back down was a nightmare - every man for himself!!

Things may have changed by this summer but our experience is that we docked in Mykonos and the ship provided a free shuttle to the place where the tender boats would normally drop off. In Corfu there is a RCL shuttle but you have to pay for it (I seem to remember around $6 each way). You could walk but would need a good map and it's around 30 mins walk. We tried it and got lost - ended up taking us a LONG time so we caught the shuttle bus back :rolleyes:

You are right in that the quickest way off the ship in Santorini is by taking a ship's tour. We did this in order to get away quickly. The tenders go to a different dock where buses pick you up to take you on the tours. The problem with this is that it means everyone arrives in Oia at the same time. When we were there we were bus no 13 (of 16) and there was an even larger Costa ship in at the same time. The pretty village was overrun with tour groups, shoulder to shoulder down the narrow streets and the lines for the cable car back down was a nightmare - every man for himself!!

How do the ship's tours get back on the boat? Does the ship go back to the spot where they were dropped off, or do you have to walk/ride donkey or cable car back down to get to the tenders?

Loads of information on all these ports on the Europe Section of the Ports of Call section.

Have done this trip twice - Mykonos docked - take cab or local bus to town - about five minutes - there is a ships shuttle but I object to the prices they charge - would rather pay a cab the same (or less if you can get a group of 4). and support the local economy.

Other ship in port was tendered.

Corfu - a cab was 10 euros - again cheaper than the shuttle if you get a group.

Santorini - tender - depends how many other ships there on that day - we had to wait only five minutes for cable car - daughter did the donkey !

Split - we have always docked. Other ship NCL tendered.

Katokolon easy walk: local bus tours to Olympia are 10 Euros - much cheaper than ship's tour. Would recommend as really only one street of shops in town.

Sure you will have a great time - Venice is fabulous - take a couple of days before or after cruise if you are able. You will never regret it.

How do the ship's tours get back on the boat? Does the ship go back to the spot where they were dropped off, or do you have to walk/ride donkey or cable car back down to get to the tenders?

The tours drop you in town (Fira) so you have to walk/donkey/cable car back down to the place where the normal ship's tenders go from.

Hey Guys

Sailing on Spleandour of the Seas on 12 April and see on the itinerary we have a few TENDERED stops in Santorini and Mykonos etc.. How does these work? Are tendered stops for free or do you have to pay a "transfer fee" to get onto land?

We are also on the Splendour on 12th April, come over to our roll call for further information, also register for Meet and Mingle (follow the link top right) as if sufficient peolple register Royal Caribbean will arrange an informal get together for those of us who have chatted online to meet, they provide refreshments and give a few goodies away (we received a bottle of champagne last time)

Malcolm

• 4 weeks later...
We are also on the Splendour on 12th April, come over to our roll call for further information, also register for Meet and Mingle (follow the link top right) as if sufficient peolple register Royal Caribbean will arrange an informal get together for those of us who have chatted online to meet, they provide refreshments and give a few goodies away (we received a bottle of champagne last time)

Just need two more to register for Meet and Mingle on our 12th April roll call for it to go ahead (there is no commitment to attend, you received an invitiaion showing time and place and then its up to you if to come along)

Just follow the link on this page to Register to attend Meet and Mingle Party and enter the required details.

Malcolm

• 4 weeks later...
wikusdutoit- We'll be on the same cruise a month later. I would LOVE a report back on how to get into town in each port. From what I can gather:

Split - tender right into town

Corfu - Dock about 10 minutes from town (but haven't been able to figure out if its ten minutes walking or on a shuttle)

Athens - Dock. Cab or 20-30 minute walk and metro into Athens

Souda/Chania - Souda is about 20 minutes from Chania, I have found references to a local bus from Souda to Chania, but haven't been able to find the schedule on-line.

Mykynos - Tender into town, but others say you may dock even if tender is listed. If docked, will need a short shuttle or a long walk into town.

Santorini - Ship's tours get off first and tender to one spot. Then the ship repositions to allow all the other people to tender into Fira (need to take a donkey, a cable car, or a steep walk up into town)

Katakalon - Dock right near town.

Just back from Splendour OTS 10 nights Greek Isles

It was a blast!!

Here are all the info on tenders you required:

1. Corfu: The harbour actually supplied busses from the ship to the entrance of the harbour. From there you are on your own. Its a short walk (15minutes) to the centre of town. At the gate to the harbour are many taxi's eager to take you to Corfu town if you want to.
  2. Mykonos: We docked at the new harbour. Royal Caribbean supplied busses into Mykonos town at $10 return. We decided to walk.... mmm... was maybe not the best idea. About 45 minutes walk (although it was very pretty and the weather was cool)

Hope it helped!

Archived