Fuel Supplements

Petrochelli

We booked a 14 night cruise this week going to the Fjords in July and we have been hit with a fuel extra for £168 00 for the 2 of us.:(:(

When I asked the Travel agent how this figure is reached she could not tell me. Does anyone know how these supplements are calculated.:confused::confused: Cheers Petrochelli.

P.S. I shudder to think what it is going to cost to do a world cruise.

The fuel supplements were raised a while back when the price of a barrel of oil kept racing up.

When they first introduced fuel supplements a couple of years ago due to the sustained rise in the cost of fuel they also had a formula for when it would be refunded to passengers (below $70/barrel for 25 days finishing 5 days before departure). At the time the supplement was set at about £3:50pppd and the cost of a barrel of oil was somewhere around $80. Now a barrel of oil is around about $125 so it's understandable that the supplement rate has also risen.

Feebee_71

Hi, I've been tracking a 14 day 2011 P&O cruise to give us an idea what to expect if we go on our first P&O cruise in 2012. I dont have extensive data but the P&O website was quoting the following fuel supplements for 2 PAX:-

March 2011 + £168 = £6 pppd

January 2011 + £112 = £4 pppd

August 2010 + £70 + £2.50 pppd

The 2nd edition brochue says prices & curencies were as at 01st March 2011. Brent crude prices have risen by almost 50% since then. What we dont know is the price pppd of fuel in the original prices of cruises.

Also, the £ GBP has strengthened against some currencies since March 2010 & suggests fuel price rises could be partly absorbed by these favourable rates.

So, the £168 charged for the Fjord cruise seems normal. Dont know if those customers charged say +£2.50 pppd will have to pay the difference & goodness knows what will happen in 2012.

Enjoy your cruise

Archived