Liquor Amount Allowed

KevinsCruising

Hi All,

Can someone let me know how much duty free liquor I can buy from the ship and carry off with me? People found out I am cruising and putting in liquor orders but I need to know what my limit is so I can still get MY STUFF ! :D

Thanks

Aren't these type of limits set by Customs?

Perhaps they can tell you on their website what their restrictions are.

I can generally get liquor locally about as cheap as what the ship sells it for...and I don't have to carry it. In fact, most of the tequila prices I've seen in the Mexican ports are not much better than locally, again taking into account the need to transport.

For persons of 21 years or older; 1 lit of alcoholic beverage (for arrivals from American Samoa, Guam and U.S. Virgin Islands, 5 lit not more than 1 lit of which may be acquired elsewhere than on these islands.

Al

Hi All,

Can someone let me know how much duty free liquor I can buy from the ship and carry off with me? People found out I am cruising and putting in liquor orders but I need to know what my limit is so I can still get MY STUFF ! :D

Thanks

NCL will sell you as many much as you wish... Helps the bottom line ;)

Which country do you disembark in?? It will be that country's laws re the amount of duty free you can bring in..

P

NCL will sell you as many much as you wish... Helps the bottom line ;)

Which country do you disembark in?? It will be that country's laws re the amount of duty free you can bring in..

P

USA.... Doing round trip NYC. Buying liquor from the duty free shops on the ship. Cruising the Gem April 2nd. :rolleyes:

If you buy it all on the ship, you are allowed 1 liter per person. If you buy in St. Thomas you can bring 4 more liters per person besides the one you buy on the ship. The ship will sell you as much as you want, but that doesn't make it legal.

Hi!

I cruise all the time and I usually buy 10 to 20 bottles of exotic rums and liquors. When I hit America's port, I pay customs about a 10% tax which still makes most bottles much cheaper that at home. however, i can only do this at my home ports in Florida where I can drive my heavy load straight home!

So, your answer is, you can buy unlimited bottles as long as you declare them at Custom's stop.

Hi!

I cruise all the time and I usually buy 10 to 20 bottles of exotic rums and liquors. When I hit America's port, I pay customs about a 10% tax which still makes most bottles much cheaper that at home. however, i can only do this at my home ports in Florida where I can drive my heavy load straight home!

So, your answer is, you can buy unlimited bottles as long as you declare them at Custom's stop.

But the amount I can buy without declaring them ( not paying tax) is ?????

You have to declare all liquor you are bringing in, even if the amount is within the duty free limit. I believe the cruise you are on stops only in Bermuda, so if you buy liquor in either Bermuda or on the ship, the duty free amount is 1 liter per person for each person 21 and over. (I think the amount of wine you can bring in is higher, but you should check the Customs website to check.) Under 21's have no duty free allowance. If a person brings in more than 1 liter, he/she has to pay duty on it. As an previous poster said, the duty may still result in a lower price than one would pay at a local liquor store, it makes sense to do some research in advance so you'll know if you're getting a bargain.

The cruise I am sailing is doing Florida, Bahamas and GSC. Only 1 LTR bottle is not that good. :(

Yes that is what you are allowed, 1 liter/1 carton of cigarettes. On the Dawn last year I heard the store employees tell people several times they could "smuggle" more off the ship, and the best way to do it, talk about hypocritical.

You can buy what you want and pay the duty, it will still be a savings.

If memory serves me correctly, we only had to pay 1-2 dollars per bottle over the allowance. This still worked out to be way cheaper for some stuff. We saw customs detaining a few people for not declaring and it makes sense to either pay the extra or tell your friends they are out of luck.

The worst part is lugging all the boxes filled with bottles home (especially when one breaks!)

I have brought back as many as 10 bottles of assorted liquor and alway go to customs and declare it. I still have never been charged the duty. The duty on the liquor, as told to us by customs last January, depends on what is bought, ie:alcohol strength...most of ours was Kahlua and flavored rums and cashew wine from Belize. The customs agent said, since the alcohol content was low on most of our bottles, they signed off on it and sent us on our way. Woo Hoo...but I would have paid the small fee and still had a great bargain. Honesty is always your best policy, and sometimes it pays off!!

the duty free limit is one liter per adult traveling together(unless you stop at an US insular possession). The duty on the excess is about $1 per bottle...if you declare it. for the most part if you don't they won't stop you at all. as others have said if you do declare it most of the time they waive you through anyway its too much paperwork for less than $10.00.

Liquor is expensive in most states because of local excise and sales taxes-not Federal excise taxes or duty.

Most of the ports don't check that extensively.

There is one exception to the above. If the ship returns to Texas and you are from Texas, Texas law prohibits the importation by an adult of more than one bottle(doesn't matter whether you want to pay the excess or not) and that is enforced.

I've always been charged the duty on "extra" liquor I bring back. It is certainly more than $1 or so. Usually on Crown Royal it is about $5 per bottle. For most booze the savings is not enough for the hassle for me. The only exception has been tequila, for good tequila, the savings over US prices has been substantial. :rolleyes:

But the amount I can buy without declaring them ( not paying tax) is ?????

As people have already told you, ONE LITER per person. You pay 10% customs tax for each bottle above that amount.

Duty free does not mean YOU don't pay duty on it but has to do with what the shop paid for it. That's why it's cheaper in those shops.

I've always been charged the duty on "extra" liquor I bring back. It is certainly more than $1 or so. Usually on Crown Royal it is about $5 per bottle. For most booze the savings is not enough for the hassle for me. The only exception has been tequila, for good tequila, the savings over US prices has been substantial. :rolleyes:

you are being overcharged

http://www.ehow.com/list_6876588_laws-excise-tax-distilled-spirits.html

on one day cruises out of NY they add the tax to the price of the sale...since you are not allowed the duty free allowance(since you have to be outside the US for more than 48 hours)...they add a dollar or two per bottle...

you are being overcharged

http://www.ehow.com/list_6876588_laws-excise-tax-distilled-spirits.html

on one day cruises out of NY they add the tax to the price of the sale...since you are not allowed the duty free allowance(since you have to be outside the US for more than 48 hours)...they add a dollar or two per bottle...

although a 2 liter bottle could approach $5.00

I heard the store employees tell people several times they could "smuggle" more off the ship, and the best way to do it, talk about hypocritical.

Why would the store employee care if the U.S. government got its cut, they probably aren't U.S. citizens anyway;)? (I know, you are comparing the smuggling off the ship with the smuggling onto the ship, but the store employee probably doesn't care about that, either.)

had the same issue with cigs from the ship....the rule is you can't bring back more than one carton of cigs that was made in the US and sent overseas. You can bring back as many as you want if they are made overseas(if you pay the excise tax..)...but the clerk told the passenger in front of me to declare them. The rule is the rule on any given day they may or may not enforce the rule...

Archived