Toddlers on NCL - What can we expect?

Tapi

Hello everybody:

We are planning on taking our toddler son (he will be 19 months old at the time of sailing) aboard the Norwegian Spirit. We understand that he will be too young to participate in the kid's program regularly scheduled activities, however, we'd like to know what we can expect:

• Will they have scheduled times when our son can play in the kid's room (supervised)? If so, when are they normally scheduled for?
  • Does NCL provide babysitting to toddlers under 2? If so, would it be at te kid's facilities, or in cabin? What's the charge?

Thanks for your input! This will be our son's second cruise, but first on Norwegian! :)

We had children with us on Norwegian and were very disappointed with the children's programs. They have a "two zoo" for a short time each day but from what we could see that was all that was available. Our children are a little older but they have way too many children in a very small space. I would never put a child under age 8 in there simply due to safety concerns. I believe the age is 3 to start the day program and they must also be potty trained or they ring a buzzer so you can get them.

We had children with us on Norwegian and were very disappointed with the children's programs. They have a "two zoo" for a short time each day but from what we could see that was all that was available. Our children are a little older but they have way too many children in a very small space. I would never put a child under age 8 in there simply due to safety concerns. I believe the age is 3 to start the day program and they must also be potty trained or they ring a buzzer so you can get them.

Norwegian's children's program starts at age 2. Parents are required to come change diapers if their child is not potty trained, so they are given a pager and must stay onboard (if it's a port day).

No private or group babysitting is available. The Under 2 Zoo (where parents can bring their toddler and supervise playtime) receives varied reviews from parents. I'm not sure if the hours are consistent ship to ship.

beachchick

We've been on several NCL cruises with our girls, one was 19months when she first cruised. We loved the kids crew on each ship, and felt our girls were very safe. If not, we would not have left them. We were not permitted to take our 19 month old in to play. We are traveling in December with our newest, who will be eighteen months, and are so excited. The others can't wait for kids crew. We spent 11 wonderful nights on the Spirit, she's such a classic, you'll have a wonderful time.

On the Spirit there is the "Under Two Zoo". This is located at the entrance to the kids club. I sailed on the Spirit a year and a half ago with my daughter who at the time was 18 months old. The "Under Two Zoo" is opened pretty much at all times the kids club was open. It really is nothing special, a couple toys, some rubber mats, and seating for parents to supervise. Again, nothing special but your toddler can burn off some energy there. During our cruise, which was in September, we rarely saw any other kids in there.

And to confirm what everyone else has said regarding babysitting, NCL does not do it.

You will have a great time with your toddler. It was challenging (as is most things with toddlers) but it was one of the best cruises we have taken. So much fun with a little one. And the crew (as well as other cruisers) will treat your son like a little prince. They really seem to love the little ones. Also, don't be afraid to ask for something that is not on the menu or make special requests regarding food. For the most part they were able to make it happen or they at least really tried.

Hello everybody:

We are planning on taking our toddler son (he will be 19 months old at the time of sailing) aboard the Norwegian Spirit. We understand that he will be too young to participate in the kid's program regularly scheduled activities, however, we'd like to know what we can expect:

• Will they have scheduled times when our son can play in the kid's room (supervised)? If so, when are they normally scheduled for?
  • Does NCL provide babysitting to toddlers under 2? If so, would it be at te kid's facilities, or in cabin? What's the charge?

Thanks for your input! This will be our son's second cruise, but first on Norwegian! :)

Yes, they do offer a program where parents can play with their toddlers. We talked to a coupld different families on the Spirit a couple weeks ago and both said they loved having a chance to interact with the little ones.

Nita

Yes, they do offer a program where parents can play with their toddlers. We talked to a coupld different families on the Spirit a couple weeks ago and both said they loved having a chance to interact with the little ones.

Nita

Unless things have changed since I last cruised the spirit 18 months ago, I wouldn't really call it a "program". It was just a room (the Under Two Zoo) that they opened up with some toys and mats where kids could play while being supervised by their parents. If things have changed to enhance it, then that is great!

Unless things have changed since I last cruised the spirit 18 months ago, I wouldn't really call it a "program". It was just a room (the Under Two Zoo) that they opened up with some toys and mats where kids could play while being supervised by their parents. If things have changed to enhance it, then that is great!

No, you are right, I guess program is the wrong word, but I used it because not all cruise lines offer anyplace to spend time with the toddlers.

Nita

I feel pretty stupid, never saw the little room, oops!!! We wanted to take our little one in the climbing set inside the kids room and was told no, so my answer was based on that. We understood, and loved the ship.

Why not leave the little ones home with grandma so you can really enjoy the cruise? Just the two of you.

Why do you feel the need to give unsolicited advice totally unrelated to the question posed by the OP? Why do you think they won't "really enjoy the cruise" just because they have their young child with them? That is quite presumptuous and rude, IMHO.

Why do you feel the need to give unsolicited advice totally unrelated to the question posed by the OP? Why do you think they won't "really enjoy the cruise" just because they have their young child with them? That is quite presumptuous and rude, IMHO.

I agree. That was extremely uncalled for. For all we know, there is no grandma/appropriate caretaker, and even if there were, perhaps OP wants a family cruise to include their child. My parents always traveled with me as a child and they have always remarked on how much they "truly enjoyed" it. Bring your baby, OP, and have a good time :)

Why not leave the little ones home with grandma so you can really enjoy the cruise? Just the two of you.

Before my wife and I made the decision to start a family, we had the opportunity to travel extensively, just the two of us. Now that our first son is here, real enjoyment comes from traveling as a family. :)

Our lives are busy. Work and everyday obligations keep us away from our son quite a bit. The last thing that we wish to do is to spend our leisure time away from him as well.

I know that some people feel the need to get away from their kids to "really enjoy their vacations". We don't fall in that category. The most wonderful and amazing memories that we have from our last cruise consist of watching our son discover and enjoy new experiences. At this point in time in our lives, that's REAL enjoyment, far better than anything else..! :)

Our kids are a pleasure to travel with. We love every minute spent with them and love introducing them to the world!!!! When traveling with children you learn to enjoy the little moments, and kids are more forgiving when things don't go exactly as planned. Have a great cruise, your entire family will love the Spirit.

Archived