Will my XM radio work???

O2BNTEXAS

I just came from the XM Radio website FAQ;

“ Is XM Service available in the waters off the coast of the United States?

Yes, XM is designed for marine use. In addition to domestic waterways in the continental United States, XM's signal extends off the coast into all U.S. coastal waters.”

Just curious if any of you cruisers out there have ever used XM (or Sirius) on any of the eastern Caribbean runs? If so, how far south did you get before you lost the signal…if ever. Wondering if I should pack it. Would love to hear from you.

Thanks

05/28/05...HAL...Eastern Caribbean

I have been considering bringing my Sirius on Mexican Riveria. I am figuring it should have no problems. After all I know people in South Florida who use satellite radio, so they have to have good coverage well south of Miami.

O2B: here is a snippet from Grumpy's post about day 2 of his world cruise on the Prinsendam:

"We arrived at Georgetown, Grand Cayman, right on schedule this morning and were just about to anchor when the port authority decided that the seas were going to get too rough for tendering operations and closed the port. Looks like another sea day... probably will be easier on Grumpy's wallet though. We didn't have any shore excursion planned, just shopping, but did have a list of items we had wanted to purchase in port...We brought our XM satellite boom box along. It's nice to be able to listen to something other than CNNI. I have the antenna taped to the balcony railing and, so far, it works fine as long as we are headed East or South. When headed west, as we were yesterday while cruising past the North Shore of Cuba, the steel deck above blocks the reception."

I don't think you will get fair reception much further east of of where Grumpy was especially if you do not have a decent antenna. However you might want to check on the the following forum: www.XMFan.com

Hope this helps!

I am a new XM user and was wondering if we can take it with us to Europe.The sales person told me that they are plannin on extending usage. Does anyone have any info on this? We leave in June for Rome.

Thanks

At the moment, no European XM coverage-it's two currently operational satellites, "Rock" and "Roll", pretty much blanket the continental US and lower Canada. For the best info and discussions about coverage, future plans, etc try:

www.XMFan.com

I love my XM radio and it would be great to have coverage on a cruise, if only for the news channels.

Thanks for all the input. I will definitely pack it.

Laffnvegas… looks like you and your DH have turned into cruise monsters! DW and I were on the Oosterdam to Alaska with you guys last year. We have also fallen in love with HAL. Booked to the eastern Caribbean this spring and looking at Alaska again next year for a land/cruise deal. Happy crusing!

Archived