Royal Babies and Tots on Liberty -- Review, pics, and schedule

We just returned from an 8-night sailing on the Liberty of the Seas, which we took with our 16 month old son. I am happy to report that the Royal Babies and Tots program is wonderful. We were able to check out a bag of Fisher Price toys that we took back to our cabin for the length of the cruise. Cloud Nine, a small venue on Deck 14, was set aside for use of children under 3 from at least 9 am to 2 pm each day, and toys were provided. Cloud Nine was not staffed, save for certain scheduled events each afternoon (like crayon drawing). Each morning and each afternoon, there was a playtime scheduled in the nursery on deck 12, where the staff was present. And, on the sea days, a staff member brought water toys to the infant splash pool located next to the H20 Zone. Please note that all of these scheduled activities require a parent to be present.

The nursery was open for business for various hours during the cruise. Each day it was open for a block of hours in the morning/afternoon; and then closed for a block of time before opening up again between 5:45 and midnight. We did not use the nursery during the day, but we did drop our son off most nights between 6 pm and 9 pm so that we could do dinner and a show by ourselves. The cost was only $8 an hour. The staff gave us a cellphone for them to reach us in case they had a question; and we could call them to check up on him if we liked.

Our little one really loved all of the scheduled playtimes throughout the cruise and he seemed to especially like his time in the nursery at night. We tried taking him to dinner with us the first couple of nights, which made none of us happy. We felt rushed at dinner and couldn't relax. And, he wanted to eat quickly, had very little patience for sitting in his high chair, and wanted to get back to playing. So, we dropped him off at the nursery each night around 6 pm, with diapers for them to change him, a change of clothes and his dinner for the night. The nursery has a microwave and refrigerator. They will feed him. We ordered his dinner from room service or the main dining room and brought it up to the nursery with us. However, the nursery does provide a limited amount of food as well -- like pizza, fruit, crackers, water and juice. (No nuts allowed). Cots or cribs were provided for sleeping. The nursery has plenty of toys, and a television for videos (like the Wiggles).

Maybe it was because the nursery is new on the Liberty. And, maybe it was because of the time of year that we travelled. But, we had no problem reserving hours in the nursery. The first couple of days there were only 3 to 4 kids in the nursery. By the end of the cruise there were about 6 that we saw. I don't know what the total capacity is, but it was adequately staffed each night, with 3 staff members in the room.

I haven't tried posting any attachments to this site before. But, I will try to attach some pictures of the nursery as well as the schedule of activities and hours for the Royal Tots and Babies program.

Oh, and as long as I am writing about activities onboard, I would highly recommend doing some of the Dreamworks activities. There were character breakfasts on each sea day. To sign up, we made reservations with the maitre de at the dining room on the first night of the cruise. The breakfasts are very cute. There is a special breakfast menu with lots of chocolate themed items and 3 characters come out separately to do a little dance and take pictures with your family. The staff will take pictures with your camera, as well as pictures by the ship photographer. Also, the Dreamworks Parade that is done on the Promenade once during the cruise is excellent. And, there are also scheduled character appearances for pictures at different times throughout the cruise.

One last thing. On your stateroom television, there are a couple of channels for children. There is Cartoon Network; a Royal Caribbean channel showing various kids shows, and a Dreamworks Channel showing several of their kids movies.

Great review, thanks. You might also post this under the Special Interest: Family Cruises board, this would be very helpful for family cruisers.

I especially appreciate seeing how many parent-and-child scheduled events there are, we'll be sailing on Freedom with a 20 month old after Freedom is drydocked to receive the nursery and Dreamworks enhancements.

Thanks so much for posting this! I have a 2 year old, and while we'll be on the Oasis I'm sure they are pretty simular.

Quick question - these are the first pictures of the nursery I've seen. I have to admit, I'm a little scared that these pictures show all there is in the nursery. I've been worried to leave my 2 year old that she'll be bored - and in these pictures the area looks tiny, and toys limited. Is this the case, or just something I'm seeing in a few pictures?

Thanks!

Overall, I think that the nursery space is adequate. We have taken our son to daycare since he was 12 weeks old and I think that the play area depicted in the pictures compares favorably in size to the play space at the infant room (under 1) and is half the size of the toddler room (12 to 24 months) at his daycare that is used for circle time and activities, On the last night of the cruise, there were about 5 other toddlers in the nursery when we dropped our son off. And, even with the 3 staff members, it did not feel crowded. So, I wouldn't worry about the size of the nursery as you will likely only be using it for a few hours here and there.

As for the toys, there are a large quantity of toys that are stored in the cabinets that are located above and below the television that is depicted in the pictures. Each day the staff takes out different toys to play with. Most (if not all) from Fisher Price. Little People toy sets, like a little pirate ship with buttons that make noise, along with little pirate people. A walker-type toy that you can sit on or stand up and push. A bowling set. Cars that roll on the floor. Toys that make noise when you push buttons. Things like that. My son liked those toys, but fell in love with the little ball pit depicted in the picture. He loved climbing into/out of it, chasing a ball and climbing the cushioned cubes they place on the activity mat.

Also, they have about 20 or so books to read with the kids. And, they will play videos on the tv too.

And, they have 5 or so bags of toys that you can check out to take to your stateroom. So, between all of that, and eating and sleeping, I don't think your little one will be bored.

Plus, don't forget that most of the scheduled parent/toddler playtimes will take place in the nursery in the mornings, before the nursery is open for business. So, you and your little one will have the opportunity to spend some time in the room free of charge, if you are at all worried.

Unfortunately, Royal Caribbean did not discount the cruise for our son when he sailed at 8 months old and 16 months old. Royal charged the same price for him as it would any 3rd passenger in a stateroom . . . as do most other cruise lines, except for NCL (which only charged us port charges and taxes - roughly $100 - for a 3 night cruise) and Disney (which will discount the price for children under 3). Oh, and like most cruise lines, infants must be 6 months old to cruise (12 months old for a transatlantic cruise.) Disney will take infants at 12 weeks old.

If I recall correctly, the Royal Babies program is for children between 6 months and 18 months. The Royal Tots program is between 18 months and 3 years. The children share the same nursery when it it is open for business. The only difference between the two as far as we could see was that the Royal Babies scheduled playtime was an hour before the playtime for the Royal Tots scheduled playtime.

If your child is over 3 years old, then he/she should be allowed to participate in Adventure Ocean, which is an entirely different kids' program that is conducted with a different cruise staff. The age group for children 3 to 5 years old is called the Aquanauts, I believe, and there is a different, designated playroom for them.

Thank you elephant98, I will have my five grandkids with me; ages will range from 3-14; so they will all be in different groups onboard. Thanks for info on royal babies and royal tots.

You've put me at ease about the nursery. Now if I could just convince myself that she won't somehow slip and fall over the side... ;)

I'm so looking forward to this trip and experiencing vacation with my little one.

Thanks again!

You've put me at ease about the nursery. Now if I could just convince myself that she won't somehow slip and fall over the side... ;)

I'm so looking forward to this trip and experiencing vacation with my little one.

Thanks again!

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Here is an update for royal tots program. We were on Freedom of the Seas in Dec. we had a 2 1/2 year old. He could only go into the baby pool which is for tots in diapers. He could no go to H2O zone. Also there was no daily program for him. It was more of a glorified baby sitting service. He could go up to the fisher price area. But royal Caribbean staff really did not do any structured program. Now for our 4-14 year olds. They had a great time in Adventure Ocean. They couldn't wait to go each each day and each night after dinner

Archived