Flying from Edinburgh to Corfu?

This is my first post although I 've been reading posts for a while and have had many useful tips (insulated mug for tea is my favourite) and lots of information on port DIY options. Thanks to so many of you.

We're on the Spirit on May 27th, flying from Edinburgh to Corfu for B2B cruise. When we booked the carrier was Flybe, changed to Thomson in February and the departure time was 6am. Today I've been at the travel agent with a booking query and have been told that the flight is now 'possibly' going to be a Monarch one - will this mean a baggage allowance change from 23Kg?

According to the Thomson website this afternoon, the flight now departs at 8.25am but is still a Thomson flight. Guess we'll have to wait until the tickets arrive to know for sure.

This is my first post although I 've been reading posts for a while and have had many useful tips (insulated mug for tea is my favourite) and lots of information on port DIY options. Thanks to so many of you.

We're on the Spirit on May 27th, flying from Edinburgh to Corfu for B2B cruise. When we booked the carrier was Flybe, changed to Thomson in February and the departure time was 6am. Today I've been at the travel agent with a booking query and have been told that the flight is now 'possibly' going to be a Monarch one - will this mean a baggage allowance change from 23Kg?

According to the Thomson website this afternoon, the flight now departs at 8.25am but is still a Thomson flight. Guess we'll have to wait until the tickets arrive to know for sure.

Hello missus mac - and welcome to the forum. :)

If they change your carrier, I'm not sure if they can morally change your luggage allowance (even if the new carrier has a different one) because on P.9 of the Dec 2010 Cruise brochure, which until April is the latest one, it specifically says:

Under: 'Reasons to book with Thomson Cruises'

Section: 'Jet Off From Your Doorstep'

..............'What's more, you get 23Kg of hold luggage with us and 7Kg of hand luggage.'

Now it would be very naughty of them to say you can't have the 23Kg if you travel with e.g. Monarch on the grounds of 'that's not US' as I believe it's implicit in the advert that it's one of the reasons you should travel with us - i.e. Thomson Cruises and that includes your travel arrangements. It's their operational reasons which will necessitate the change and that shouldn't impact on customers.

I'd make a fuss if I were you if you don't get the full allowance as 3kg per case makes a big difference in terms of getting what you want in - and not! (Well it does for me! :D)

I think you'll get the 23Kg even if the carrier is changed - it's not unusual to find various baggage allowances on the same plane depending on the holiday/holiday company you book with and I think Thomson cruises have made a commitment on this one.

Good luck anyway. Let us know what happens - and happy planning for your first cruise. I'm sure you'll love it - that itinerary is one of my all-time favourites. Stunning destinations and a lovely friendly ship. Like many more of us, you will probsably come back 'hooked' and keen to go again. Enjoy!:)

have had many useful tips (insulated mug for tea is my favourite)

Hi Missus mac,

Just to add to Kruzseeka's welcome. We're all very friendly on here, unlike some of the American cruise lines part of Cruise Critic. It seems sometimes that World War 3 is about to break out over there.

Anyway, the insulated mugs are really handy, especially if you have a long way between the buffet and your cabin. Apart from the mugs being bigger so you get more to drink they help stop the tidal waves in the mugs spilling over like the ship's mugs.

A tip on packing them, take the lid off and stuff them full of small clean items like socks, it saves wasting empty space in your suitcase.

Have agreat 1st cruise.

Berwyn

missus mac

I`d be surprised if your entitled to 23kgs with Monarch.After booking with Thomson last year I noticed further down the line on checking Thomsons website that we were flying with Monrach not Thomson but took it for granted that we were entitled to 23kgs of hold luggagre.A thread on this forum raised the subject of luggage allowance and got my mind thinking(it takes a lot).Looked on Monarchs website,stated 20kgs but thinking because we were cruisers and the fact Thomsons had chartered a Monarch airline or bulk bought seats we would still be entitled to the same as those travelling with Thomsons.To make doubly sure(before tixs arrived)called Thomson and they confirmed that our entitlement was indeed 20kgs not 23kgs...In between times I had emailed Monarch and they had given me the same answer........Cant remember the full explanation given but it was something like "Thomson have agreed a specific baggage allowance with Monarch for this flight which in this case(pardon the pun)is 20kgs ".

Having seen Monarchs set allowances, they do vary between scheduled and chartered flights and not over generous.

Suggest you contact first and foremost..your TA and Thomsons....then Monarch if they confirm change of airline

Hello missus mac - and welcome to the forum. :)

If they change your carrier, I'm not sure if they can morally change your luggage allowance (even if the new carrier has a different one) because on P.9 of the Dec 2010 Cruise brochure, which until April is the latest one, it specifically says:

Under: 'Reasons to book with Thomson Cruises'

Section: 'Jet Off From Your Doorstep'

..............'What's more, you get 23Kg of hold luggage with us and 7Kg of hand luggage.'

It does indeed but another good marketing ploy by Thomson

Now it would be very naughty of them to say you can't have the 23Kg if you travel with e.g. Monarch on the grounds of 'that's not US' as I believe it's implicit in the advert that it's one of the reasons you should travel with us - i.e. Thomson Cruises and that includes your travel arrangements. It's their operational reasons which will necessitate the change and that shouldn't impact on customers.

Its in the small print at the back of Thomson brochures regarding luggage allowance.Something we found out after booking last year

I would pack to the Monarch allowance and save yourself a lot of anguish and stress. No point in throwing the toys out of your pram over a little thing like this. BTW what are you packing? for me it is about 16KG for 14 nights and that includes a penguin suit which I will only wear twice.

If you argue with Thomsons HQ you will lose, everyone does, those corporate lawyers have considered EVERY word in the brochure.

It does indeed but another good marketing ploy by Thomson

Its in the small print at the back of Thomson brochures regarding luggage allowance.Something we found out after booking last year

Well, all I can say is that if Thomson do pull this trick it is another example of very poor customer relations - much as I'm a fan of the 'Thomson product' I'm quick to criticise when I think they're out of order. They've dropped some dreadful clangers recently and I would say this is sharp practice and doesn't do them or their management team any credit! :mad:

We once had tickets sent for 20Kg (which I believe is the land-based holiday allowance with Thomson) and complained and they were amended - I think a lot of cruise passengers were similarly affected but we got letters to take to the airport in case there was a problem. But as an advertised reason to travel with them it's reprehensible to take that away as happened to you, jim. They should have negotiated with Monarch to carry 23Kg - not 20Kg as that's what you'd signed up for!

Please let us know how you get on missus mac - seems as though we've not been able to allay your concerns!

P.S. Dave - it's the shoes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

P.S. Dave - it's the shoes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Eeek, I would have expected you to have dainty little size fours not huge size sixteen clodhoppers :eek:

As I don't like sandals I only take 3 pairs, trainers to travel in, canvas deck shoes for lounging around the ship, and smart casual boat shoes for the evening. Plus shiny blacks for the penguin suit but I am not going formal on Spirit next cruise.

Thinks.. why do we use 'I' for 'i', i am fed up with hitting the shift key.

If you pack more than the 20kg you are allowed to check in on Monarch (and they are VERY strict these days:() just transfer the excess to your hand luggage as you are allowed 10kg compared to Thomsons 7kg. I can't see why they are so anal about check -in weights when the plane will be carrying the same total weight whether in suitcase or hand luggage :confused: . I know it's a pain to lug it onto the plane, but at least you can still take all your shoes:D

If you pack more than the 20kg you are allowed to check in on Monarch (and they are VERY strict these days:() just transfer the excess to your hand luggage as you are allowed 10kg compared to Thomsons 7kg. I can't see why they are so anal about check -in weights when the plane will be carrying the same total weight whether in suitcase or hand luggage :confused: . I know it's a pain to lug it onto the plane, but at least you can still take all your shoes:D

Hoorah!!!! :D:D:D

Thanks Kruzseeka and Cymro.

This will be our 3rd cruise, our first was on the Spirit 3 years ago - although a bit unsure about cruising we had a really good holiday and now are indeed 'hooked'. Last September we went on the Pearls of the Aegean which we loved so decided to go again this year as some of the ports are different. Looking forward very much to the Adriatic Explorer, it sounds wonderful.

As to the luggage allowance, seems from what Suekay says that it will work out the same if Monarch still give 10kg hand luggage. All the chargers, 4-way extensions, insulated mugs, sun cream etc, etc add up - to say nothing of the glad rags! Are you invited twice to the Gala Evening if you are B2B?

I'll let you know what happens when the tickets arrive.

That is unbelievable! 10 + 20 = 30 and 23 + 7 = 30 so the total weight is exactly the same. I thought I was rubbish at arithmetic but clearly airlines are too!

I haven't checked our allowance yet but was hoping to not take towels and have dropped a million hints about a kindle for my birthday as I read about 8 books on holiday which weigh a fair amount>

Has anyone used a kindle when cruising and would the 3G thingy work at sea? :confused:

Yes, missus mac, you do get invited both weeks to the Gala Night. One week you will be given First Sitting and the other week Second Sitting however the Maitre D' is usually available at a given time (advertised in the Cruise News) for you to swap sittings if you wish.

Sorry, read more into your post than you'd written - it was your first post - not cruise! :confused: So you will know exactly what to expect and are familiar with the Spirit - no wonder you're looking forward to it! We did this cruise two years running as we enjoyed it so much too. Have a great time. :)

But as an advertised reason to travel with them it's reprehensible to take that away as happened to you, jim. They should have negotiated with Monarch to carry 23Kg - not 20Kg as that's what you'd signed up for!

Agree kruzseeka I said as much to Thomsons when I called them on the phone and was more or less told to take it up with Monarch

That is unbelievable! 10 + 20 = 30 and 23 + 7 = 30 so the total weight is exactly the same. I thought I was rubbish at arithmetic but clearly airlines are too!

I haven't checked our allowance yet but was hoping to not take towels and have dropped a million hints about a kindle for my birthday as I read about 8 books on holiday which weigh a fair amount>

Has anyone used a kindle when cruising and would the 3G thingy work at sea? :confused:

My hints bore fruit and I just got a kindle for our next cruise in 6 weeks:D

According to posters on other boards, not only does the 3 G work at sea, but you can also use it to access emails as Amazon have an agreement with "somebody" for free downloads which use the same "airways or whatever" (as you can see I'm a technology dinosaur:o) Will test this out on our next cruise

My hints bore fruit and I just got a kindle for our next cruise in 6 weeks:D

According to posters on other boards, not only does the 3 G work at sea, but you can also use it to access emails as Amazon have an agreement with "somebody" for free downloads which use the same "airways or whatever" (as you can see I'm a technology dinosaur:o) Will test this out on our next cruise

Hi Sue,

Well done on getting your Kindle. Just be careful on using the 3G at sea though as it will go through the ship's satellite mobile phone network and the prices are extortionate, compared to using at home or a mobile on land when abroad.

Berwyn

Thanks for the info. I think I would try to buy some books before I go then if I run out could get some more. :cool: I had no idea you could access emails tt! Will step up the hints I think ;)

Oops, I got Kiki cat and Suekay mixed up. Sorry.

I've just got a kindle, seen this book for 71p idea for the adriatic explorer trip

Venice Sights 2011: a travel guide to the top 45 attractions in Venice, Italy (Mobi Sights)

It says the 3g is free using in certain parts of the world on the amazon site

Archived