Restricted Items?

Durhampro

OK, I am not looking for a lecture about smuggling, so lets not go there. I have noticed on the first time cruiser board that some people are talking about items that are restricted. Some items that I have heard being in the restricted list include: travel irons, extension cords and pocket knives. Does anyone know what items besides alcohol are not allowed on NCL ships?

Thanks

Passenger is not allowed to bring on board the vessel any intoxicating liquors, or beverages, firearms, weapons of any kind, ammunition, explosive substances or any goods of a dangerous nature, nor animals of any kind, except service or guide animals, provided the passenger notifies Carrier prior to the cruise of his intention to bring such animal and agrees to take sole responsibility for any expense, damage, injuries or losses associated with or caused by such animal.

Irons aren't allowed, either, but your room steward will bring you one if requested. Extension cords are okay.

This is from the NCL website:

What can't I bring onboard?

Passenger is not allowed to bring on board the vessel any intoxicating liquors, or beverages, firearms, weapons of any kind, ammunition, explosive substances or any goods of a dangerous nature, nor animals of any kind, except service or guide animals, provided the passenger notifies Carrier prior to the cruise of his intention to bring such animal and agrees to take sole responsibility for any expense, damage, injuries or losses associated with or caused by such animal.

OK so no weapons, (although I was hoping to bring the cannon in case of pirates) what about a leatherman tool? The reason I ask about the extension cord is because I have read that Carnival actually pulls you into the naughty room if you bring an extension cord on board. We are traveling on the Star does any one know how many electrical outlets are in the rooms? Are good quality powerstrips allowed?

Thanks

OK so no weapons, (although I was hoping to bring the cannon in case of pirates) what about a leatherman tool? The reason I ask about the extension cord is because I have read that Carnival actually pulls you into the naughty room if you bring an extension cord on board. We are traveling on the Star does any one know how many electrical outlets are in the rooms? Are good quality powerstrips allowed?

Thanks

I've brought a Belkin travel surge supressor / powerstrip without any problems. Three extra outlets and 2 USB chargers is more than I've needed.

OK, I am not looking for a lecture about smuggling, so lets not go there. I have noticed on the first time cruiser board that some people are talking about items that are restricted. Some items that I have heard being in the restricted list include: travel irons, extension cords and pocket knives. Does anyone know what items besides alcohol are not allowed on NCL ships?

Thanks

Actually I was told by an NCL employee to bring an extention cord for my hubbys sleep machine as they run out.:rolleyes:

where did you find out candles werent allowed??? i just couldnt find that in the items that i cannot bring on board

I'm pretty certain that candles are specically disallowed. I've never looked to find out. When I discovered the ships all have electricity, I didn't worry about bringing candles.

where did you find out candles werent allowed??? i just couldnt find that in the items that i cannot bring on board

I have seen it written somewhere, just don't know where.. Maybe in the brochure they send you before you cruise? Whereever I read it, it makes sense.. A candle is a really dangerous thing on a ship.

Robin

Actually I was told by an NCL employee to bring an extention cord for my hubbys sleep machine as they run out.:rolleyes:

I have never heard no exrtention cords. For the person who asked about candles, I don't know where it is written but common sense would say no candles...

Nita

weapons of any kind

That is a pretty funny one if you really understand what a 'weapon is of any kind' is. I love using my brain as a weapon every chance I get!

weap·on (wĕpˈən)

noun

1. An instrument of attack or defense in combat, as a gun, missile, or sword.
  2. Zoology A part or organ, such as a claw or stinger, used by an animal in attack or defense.
  3. A means used to defend against or defeat another: Logic was her weapon.

I have never heard no exrtention cords. For the person who asked about candles, I don't know where it is written but common sense would say no candles...

Nita

YES, common sense but there are some who if they don't see something in writing, will challenge it.

OK, I am not looking for a lecture about smuggling, so lets not go there. I have noticed on the first time cruiser board that some people are talking about items that are restricted. Some items that I have heard being in the restricted list include: travel irons, extension cords and pocket knives. Does anyone know what items besides alcohol are not allowed on NCL ships? Thanks

I brought a brand new extension cord because a power strip would not have reached my balcony to use my laptop. No one said a word about it in my suitcase and I only had it plugged in when I was using my laptop. If you just need extra plugs, a powerbar would be much better.

In a BA balcony there is a plug in the bathroom and one where the coffee maker plugs in, the coffee maker doesn't use it, it is a different type of plug the same as the TV.

I really can't see anything you would normally bring on a vacation being banned like a small pocket jacknife.

as far as common sense goes whats wrong with candles?

Candles are the cause of many fires, most of them caused by unattended lit candles. I would imagine in a ship cabin the could be monitored pretty well, however, due to the nature of ships things can fall over. Lit candles should have an area around them that is free of flammable items, that area should be about a two foot area. Gel candles can be very dangerous, they can splatter a lot if they have too much moisture in them. I have responded to two house fires to provide security that were caused by candles, one of them cost the life of a fire fighter.

If you want a nice alternative to a real candle look into the flickering LED candles made now.

OK, I am not looking for a lecture about smuggling, so lets not go there. I have noticed on the first time cruiser board that some people are talking about items that are restricted. Some items that I have heard being in the restricted list include: travel irons, extension cords and pocket knives. Does anyone know what items besides alcohol are not allowed on NCL ships? Thanks

I can tell you that extension cords and pocket knives are ALLOWED.

We brought an extension cord and a power strip to use with my husband's CPAP machine on our cruise last Sept/Oct.

My husband also had a big pocketknife in our checked luggage (we fly) and it was no problem.

Wow! I posted a kind but helpful explanation of why candles are dangerous and not permitted and offered an alternative for the poster who wanted a romantic ambience (who requested an explanation), and it was deleted along with half of this thread! Too bad he may never know that there are safe alternatives! I know things got a bit silly with the badgers, etc, but really - delete half a thread that had good advice that was requested?? Really?

At the risk of being deleted again - candles are dangerous in a moving cabin where things tend to slide off tables on a regular and unexpected basis - even for the most conscientious person. Please surprise your wife by bringing some battery operated candles for romantic ambience.

Robin

my brother in law was able to bring his small pocket knife on. he didn't realize it was in his pocket until he passed through the metal detector. it can't be longer than your hand. phone chargers and converters are ok also. and for all of you wondering about blow dryers, the ones the ships offer SUCK!!! mine looked more like a vacuum hose than a blow dryer. if you bring your own it can't be more than 110 watts. yOUr basic blow dryer is at least 1500 watts. you have to go to guess services and ask for a converter to use your own. and FYI.........go get one your first day because they will run out. our steward had no clue and wasn't any help. just go straight to guess services.

JUST GOT OFF THE SPIRIT ON 03/13/11

Yesterday,I posted a reply that was intended to be humorous. No malice or slamming intended and was obvious that it was in jest. It and other FUNNY posts were deleted. I understand that this forum is a venue for information regarding cruising. I would think that in times like this, Japan, our goverment , poverty etc., a little leeway would be allowed to bring a smile to fellow cruisers. Sorry if I was wrong.

Yesterday,I posted a reply that was intended to be humorous. No malice or slamming intended and was obvious that it was in jest. It and other FUNNY posts were deleted. I understand that this forum is a venue for information regarding cruising. I would think that in times like this, Japan, our goverment , poverty etc., a little leeway would be allowed to bring a smile to fellow cruisers. Sorry if I was wrong.

It happens. Sometimes a thread is allowed to stay, sometimes....who can say why it's a problem? I made a post referencing first hand knowledge that palette knives and slip-joint weren't allowed on the ship. It was pulled.

The knives and pliers weren't allowed on the ship. The paints and brushes in the box were no problem, however.

Candles definitely aren't allowed...we bought some as souvenirs in the Bahamas (didn't plan to use them on the ship, of course) and they took them when we were getting back on the ship. We had to go to the reception desk the night before to pick them up.

my brother in law was able to bring his small pocket knife on. he didn't realize it was in his pocket until he passed through the metal detector. it can't be longer than your hand.

But I have really big hands! LOL

The knife thing never made much sense to me, if I wanted a blade for a weapon I am sure the steak knives in the restaurants would do. I have travelled with my leatherman all over the world. (in Checked Luggage) It is a tool that if you don't have it you are looking for it because you need a screwdriver or pliers etc....

Archived