Cruising with twin 18 month olds

Why do parents allow their children to make such a mess?

There's two types of messes....the mess because the kids were doing something they weren't supposed to, and the mess because they're kids.

If my kids throw something at the table, or do something else they are not supposed to do and make a mess, they are going to be disciplined for that.

The other type of mess is just going to happen. We cut up a grilled chicken breast for my one year old on every night of the cruise and he ate most of it, but he just didn't have the ability to get the handful of food in his mouth, so some of it fell on the floor. So, what typically happened then is that I'd try to clean some of it up, the waiter came over and insisted that he would take care of it, and then he got a double tip :)

I took my daughter on her first cruise when she was 18 months old. She had a great time... We did have a grand suite.There were 4 of us total in the Grand Suite, my parents, my Daughter and myself. I would recommend getting that size since you need to have 2 pac n plays. I will also give you some room for the twins to move about. Another nice part is that they also have DVD player in the suites. This came in handy, I brought some of my Daughter's DVDs with us.

I didn't use any of the sitting services, so I can't comment on that. We did participate in the fisher prices program that they ran daily. My daughter had a good time there.

As far as high chairs go,they have them in the dining room as well as the windjammer. The waiters in the dining room were great... The bent over backwards for my daughter.They always had cut up fruit on the tray of her highchair when we got to the dinning room. This kept her busy while we ordered and waited for our food.

Another thing that I did that you may want to consider. In the cabin , I had our cabin steward bring us an additional large bucket of ice to put in the mini bar, it is cool in there but not Cold. I would bring back containers of milk and yogurt from breakfast and keep them in the ice for use during the day. I have done this on multiple cruises. The cabin steward always made sure there was fresh ice in the bucket to keep everything cold. ( in order to put the bucket in the mini bar, have the cabin steward remove the contents.)

Have a great trip!!

Lisa

There's two types of messes....the mess because the kids were doing something they weren't supposed to, and the mess because they're kids.

If my kids throw something at the table, or do something else they are not supposed to do and make a mess, they are going to be disciplined for that.

The other type of mess is just going to happen. We cut up a grilled chicken breast for my one year old on every night of the cruise and he ate most of it, but he just didn't have the ability to get the handful of food in his mouth, so some of it fell on the floor. So, what typically happened then is that I'd try to clean some of it up, the waiter came over and insisted that he would take care of it, and then he got a double tip :)

Well, the double tips do help :).

I have seen the mess that toddlers and young children make at a restraunt. Why do parents allow their children to make such a mess? It has to be the parenting style because not all children do it. Again, it is not the adults that are loud and make messes.

Really? Really? "Why do parents ALLOW their children to make such a mess?" Really? I am the parent of a 16 month old and trust me, if messes were avoidable, we would avoid them. Little ones are messy eaters, they are trying to teach themselves how to self-feed and they also enjoy experimenting with limits. Like, "what will they do if I throw this". When they are done eating and there is more food on the tray or the plate, they want to get rid of it, so they throw it.

It has NOTHING to do with parenting style. I would be interested to meet ANY parent that did not experience a mess with their toddler during feeding time. Why do you think they invented bibs, toddler placemats and plastic coverings to put on the floor under the high chair? Sure, when they get older, they know better; and when they are able to understand what you are saying and comprehend more, it is easier, and more realistic, to be able to ask them to keep their food on their plate, etc.

I am guessing you are not a parent!?:eek:

We have always traveled with our children. We have three, 9, 8 and 4. We took our youngest on a mediteranean cruise at 6 months. All three of our children are diamond members (and would be without our status, except the youngest one). We usually book a JS for 4 of us, and one of my kids stays next door with grandma and grandpa. The benefit of a JS is the bathtub, which is essential with toddlers. Don't leave your kids at home. They learn so much from traveling. Enjoy life with them!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! My wife and I just read all of your responses. If we have as much fun on the cruise as we did reading all this it will be an incredible week. We settled in on the Allure in July and we have 2 connecting balcony rooms. My parents are getting a suite so we can have access to a bathtub also. As for the behavior of toddlers at dinner I would never want someones vacation experience to be diminished because of me and I would of course remove a screaming child from dinner. I also understand that some parents are morons and not considerate of others. Kids do silly things, that's why they are not allowed to vote or drive. I am much more annoyed by parents that don't teach and discipline them and I am even more bothered by loud obnoxious drunks. Anyways, we will have a fantastic time and I promise to keep the girls on a short leash. Thanks everyone and if you are on the Allure the week of July 3rd come find us in the dining room. I will be the guy with the 2 beautiful daughters and one hot momma! Bon Voyage.

We are considering a cruise this summer and we have twin girls that will be 18-19 months old when we go. I am looking for any thoughts or advice. A few questions are-

Is there enough room for 2 pack and plays in the balcony rooms or would we have to get a suite?

How does the pricing work for children under 2?

Are there high chairs available in all the dining areas?

I saw that there is childcare available at $8 per hr per child. Is this the only option for daycare?

What documentation is needed? Passports, Birth Certificates, etc?

Any other ideas or thoughts on something that I may be missing is greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone. Jeff

Why would you take twin 18 month olds on a cruise, really???????:rolleyes:

Really? Children that young on a cruise? I guess I've been pretty lucky. Out of 21 cruises, I have not had the "pleasure" of such young children nearby. For many, the cruise experience could be less enjoyable if there were crying children on the balcony next door, or a child crying/throwing food in the dining room, etc. It sounds like you are one of the more considerate parents, however, by seeking info and advice ahead of time. If they get unruly, please consider removing them from the dining room, or other area, until they calm down.

We are taking our 9 month old in 2 weeks time,

I don’t see what its really got to do with you if someone chooses to take their child on a cruise, go on an adults only cruise if you are that bothered

We dont have her screaming in public or let her throw food around, why should someone not enjoy a cruise because they have children?

To the OP, we paid about $750 for her, compared to about $1100 each for us

We are taking our 9 month old in 2 weeks time,

I don’t see what its really got to do with you if someone chooses to take their child on a cruise, go on an adults only cruise if you are that bothered

We dont have her screaming in public or let her throw food around, why should someone not enjoy a cruise because they have children?

To the OP, we paid about $750 for her, compared to about $1100 each for us

mcoler: Amen to that!

Royal Diamond MazandSteve, Kotery- I don't have small children- i am a grandmother and I love to see the children onboard and they have every right to be there with their parents (or grandparents). Why should they miss out on a family cruise? Besides it has been my experience that the babies and children tend to be much better behaved then some of the drunken and rude adults onboard! True children can act up sometimes- they can do that anywhere- at home, in a mall, on a playground or on a cruise ship- BIG DEAL! The parents will take care of it and then it is over!

mcoler: Amen to that!

Royal Diamond MazandSteve, Kotery- I don't have small children- i am a grandmother and I love to see the children onboard and they have every right to be there with their parents (or grandparents). Why should they miss out on a family cruise? Besides it has been my experience that the babies and children tend to be much better behaved then some of the drunken and rude adults onboard! True children can act up sometimes- they can do that anywhere- at home, in a mall, on a playground or on a cruise ship- BIG DEAL! The parents will take care of it and then it is over!

We are grandparents too and I love our grandson to bits, I used to be a childminder years ago and adore my children, but no way would I want a crying noisy child in the next room to me or next to me when eating. Yes its a family cruise for them but its not for me. Ok, if they are next to me then I have no choice but I am saying I would not like it. There is nothing worse than a child screeching when trying to rest or eat. Some parents do deal with it but not all. If a baby woke me at 3am, I would not be happy at all, its my vacation too.

Archived