B4 with Extended Balcony

TERRIER1

They probably charge less because they are so overlooked from above & side cabins

I would not want to spend more $ so everyone above can watch me

I'm thinking that the reason for the lack of "extra" patio furniture on the larger veranda is twofold.

First, since those are standard cabins, it would be a logistical nightmare to get any extra furniture inside the ship in the event of inclement weather.

More importantly, it has become an accepted business practice, throughout the hospitality industry, to downplay the individuality of individual accomodations in deference to the ease of selling a standard product.

In this prewar deck plan for the French liner Champlain, for example, I count more than ten different cabin configurations:

231018.jpg

Contrast that to a similar area on the Marina:

051739.jpg

I'm thinking that the reason for the lack of "extra" patio furniture on the larger veranda is twofold.

First, since those are standard cabins, it would be a logistical nightmare to get any extra furniture inside the ship in the event of inclement weather.

J or S

I think that may be the case

DH said the same thing ;)

Lyn

Sorry -I can't really buy this reasoning. I have been on HAL, Celebrity and RCI numerous times in aft verandas and I have never seen furniture being brought inside. These verandas all had a minimum of two chairs, a table and two lounges up to my Concierge cabin on Constellation that had four chairs, a dining table and four lounges.

More importantly, it has become an accepted business practice, throughout the hospitality industry, to downplay the individuality of individual accomodations in deference to the ease of selling a standard product.

Sorry, I have to disagree with you again here. Oceania, following Celebrity's lead has created a Concierge category providing questionable "value added" features for what is essentially the same product. It wouldn't really take much effort to create a new category such as "Ocean Patio" or "Deluxe Lanai" - you get the drift.

I honestly feel that the real reason is that they simply didn't give it much thought. If enough people voice concern, I am sure that things will change. I have never seen Cruise Lines miss an opportunity to charge for a product that makes people feel "special"!

Sorry -I can't really buy this reasoning. I have been on HAL, Celebrity and RCI numerous times in aft verandas and I have never seen furniture being brought inside. These verandas all had a minimum of two chairs, a table and two lounges up to my Concierge cabin on Constellation that had four chairs, a dining table and four lounges.

I bet Marina staff had wished they had taken in the furniture when some of it went sailing over the ship during a big blow while bringing the ship from Genoa to Barcelona. They do put all of the pool deck lounge chairs in stacks and tie them down every night; perhaps lounge chairs are more susceptible from blowing away.

Finally, they absolutely do bring in the cushions from the extended deck 7 chairs when they expect rough weather, and place them beside the desk/dressing table. Lounge cushions would be commensurately larger and more difficult to store.

Yes, Don, things did sail around on that day.

I had stuck my camera outside to get a video of the waves crashing higher than our Deck 10 verandah. As soon as a wave sailed up the side, above your heads, but before I turned off the camera, a low table or a lounger sailed by from above us on its way out to sea (from the Spa maybe?). Looked kind of like the Wicked Witch of the West on her broom if you blinked.

I'd never thought of how much deck furniture cruise lines must lose in this way. And the deck furniture on Marina is not inexpensive.

Yes, Don, things did sail around on that day.

I had stuck my camera outside to get a video of the waves crashing higher than our Deck 10 verandah. As soon as a wave sailed up the side, above your heads, but before I turned off the camera, a low table or a lounger sailed by from above us on its way out to sea (from the Spa maybe?). Looked kind of like the Wicked Witch of the West on her broom if you blinked.

I'd never thought of how much deck furniture cruise lines must lose in this way. And the deck furniture on Marina is not inexpensive.

Oooooooh...do they have those double teakwood loungers near the pool like Insignia does ? :)

I really did not care one way or the other for the extended balcony. We were in 7005. I can see where if you didn't want blazing sun coming in, that that extended balcony would let you enjoy the great outdoors without being in full sun exposure.

They were a bit odd. I'm sure water/design/aesthetics all taken into account would say no, but seems like they could have made additional enclosed space for larger rooms/different category between penthouse and balcony.

Either way, I'll take any room on Marina over any other ship any day.

:)

As stated previously, this is my first time on Oceania.

Is the poolboy complimentary or is there an upcharge ?

Poolboys are plentiful and complimentary, but passengers are respectfully requested to refrain from littering them with spare sunglasses, towels, or old novels, in order to reserve them.

Poolboys are plentiful and complimentary, but passengers are respectfully requested to refrain from littering them with spare sunglasses, towels, or old novels, in order to reserve them.

Gotcha. I hope it's not like Royal Caribbean where you have to hand one in before you get another.

Can you tell me if the dividers between the balconies open? If you had 4 in a row would you take the Extended B4's or ???

The dividers do open, but only for the width of a door.

112319.jpg

In this photo, for example, some of the extended B4 Veranda cabins can be seen above the name of the ship. ONE SEGMENT of those dividers would open (as in a doorway, and can be latched open) but the remainder are stationary.

Hope that this helped-

Can you tell me if the dividers between the balconies open? If you had 4 in a row would you take the Extended B4's or ???

They do open for the crew to wash the decks off but whether they will open at the passengers request is another matter

It could be a safety issue as they open right at the railing

• 2 months later...
Those who had sailed previously with a standard depth veranda (about 3 feet deep), .
We have not been on the Marina, but we doubt the regular balconies can be only 3 ft deep. Even standard balconies on Regatta and Nautica (which we had been on) were 4'10" deep (we measured with tape). 3 ft will be difficult to sit down confortably, even airline economy pitch is around 31".

Archived