What to wear while in the Amazon

Cruisedreamer1

We did the Amazon cruise in Nov/Dec and no matter what plan on sweating.

A couple of years ago before a SE Asia trip, we bought special breathable shirts that use fabric that wicks away moisture, dries quickly, and design has vents built in. We got a couple of Magellans and the others from REI. We could wash them every night and they would be dry by morning.

Pants are more of a challenge but we elected to stay with long pants for protection against sun, bugs, etc. Slightly loose fitting pants in a lighter weight fabric help. If you are just walking around a town long shorts would work also.

A wide brim hat is a must. You find some with vents to let air flow.

For shoes we went with safety and wore either athletic shoes or light weight hiking boots for more back country days. If just staying in town, sandals would be O.K.

Each day once back on the ship we immediately stripped and showered, then washed out our "jungle" wear for the next day.

What have past passengers worn while doing excursions in the Amazon area? I want to be sure dress correctly in terms of heat and health. Thanks.

Layering was the best, but as comcox stated you sweat no matter what you wear. I brought several pairs of tennis shoes, one pair old that I could throw away after treking through the forrest. I also brought a pair of rubber booties to fit over my other tennis shoes. Although the native children wash your shoes following this adventure, they are still wet. I also wore short overalls which have a lot of pockets.

was there a couple years ago, and spent time along the River, a day in the jungle, and another along the tributaries & back country. For all, long sleeves, hats, long pants and shoes, preferably with high tops (hiking, etc.). Not to endorse anything, but REI sells a "Sahara Shirt" that is button-down with cuffs that all button. Think about getting one size larger than you normally wear to create an "air layer" between you and your clothing.

You could also choose any of the dri-fit or Underarmor wicking materials (light colors). My wife wore a dri-fit long sleeve with crew collar & mid-top walking shoes (thick soles for a number of reasons) We also bought a couple of the scarves that are treated with repellent.

I wore a drover's hat that takes a lot of abuse (and can be collapsed into luggage). we also got industrial-strength repellent & used it each day. My wife wore a short-brim hat (she hates hats) but liberally used sunblock and repellent along the neck and ears. For pants, look for breathable denim/cotton that does not pick up lint (avoid sweatpants, which pick up brambles, seeds, etc.).

I got a pair of cargo pants with a loop belt (pockets that velcro or zip to keep things secure; military surplus or an outdoor store will have ample choices). Wear hiking socks and don't forget to use repellent along the top of the sock line if any of that area will be exposed (perhaps the worst bites are there, and are also some of the easiest to receive).

As noted, wash thoroughly after returning, especially for the repellent, which can create an environmental hazard if ingested (unlike the standard sunblock you might wear to the beach).

After all was said and done, the prep was worth it (no bites), the inconvenience was minor, and we had a great time seeing things that are found nowhere else in the world. Preparation is the key (isn't it always?).

Thanks, Bob H

Archived