Uggh.. just venting!

wvliz

Do you have an extra birth certificate?

If you're concerned the passport won't make it back in time, the passport people will still have her birth certificate...

My daughter's renewal took just 4 weeks exactly from the day we brought it to the post office, so I'm guessing you'd be okay.

You just need to quickly figure out which stress is less evil: the waiting for the passport, or the worry that if you use her birth certificate she won't be able to fly in an emergency. or if you don't mind paying the expedited, in the words of Nike "just do it" and no more worries.

I know we don't HAVE to have a passport for her... but we just want to be cautious, in case we would have to fly back into the US for any reason... we have family members on both sides who we would worry about becoming ill.

It is a good reminder though to just breathe... it's not like we can't cruise if it's not back in time.

Once you get the proper papers done, check with the passport office for the closest major city to you. For a fee (of course) they do have some offices that will do a same day passport. I had to take an unannounced hurried trip out of the country once, and had mine done in New Orleans. They usually make you bring a copy of your booking papers to prove you need it fast!

I wonder why they mail the passports and birth certificates seperately? That is annoying. They told me the same thing when I renewed (I used my old passport as proof of citizenship and not my BC- just incase I needed my BC to take the cruise). They said I would get my expedited passport in 2-3 weeks (I am REALLY hoping I get it today, I HATE waiting for it, but this is week 2 so it could be another week- boo!), but my old passport would take longer to get back. If they approve you for a passport don't you think they should send everything back, new passport and proof of citizenship in one shabang. Whatever, they just need to give me my new passport LOL.

I'll join in on your vent, still didn't get my expedited passport renewal back yet, but hey this is the 2nd week, and they said 2-3 weeks, I'm just getting antsy.

Good luck with everything. I know (for obvious reasons), why getting a passport would make you feel more comfortable, but its not necessary. One thing, like another poster said, if you do decide to file for it, make sure you have another official copy of her birth certificate or she won't be able to cruise at all. The expedited fee is only $60, so its annoying, but doable.

I just renewed mine and did not do the expedited (didn't need it) and had mine back 3 weeks to the day they received it. Hopefully you will get yours soon!

I wonder why they mail the passports and birth certificates seperately? That is annoying. They told me the same thing when I renewed (I used my old passport as proof of citizenship and not my BC- just incase I needed my BC to take the cruise). They said I would get my expedited passport in 2-3 weeks (I am REALLY hoping I get it today, I HATE waiting for it, but this is week 2 so it could be another week- boo!), but my old passport would take longer to get back. If they approve you for a passport don't you think they should send everything back, new passport and proof of citizenship in one shabang. Whatever, they just need to give me my new passport LOL.

I THINK they do it so that if something happens to it, you haven't lost everything (both the old passport and new passport or BC and passport) and if it is stolen, somebody doesn't have everything.

First I find out that we have to have all that consent to travel/medical POA/passport consent form all filled out and notorized from both parents. OK, no big deal, I waste a week and a half mailing paperwork back and forth with her mom. Only to find out that our post office gave us outdated forms that are no longer accepted!

Not terribly surprised, the passport consent form, and a number of others recently changed (March 1st). So if you picked up the forms in February, then they where the right forms...at the time, if you picked them up in March, well, then it could have been the lack of training or something. I just put in the application for both my daughters passports. I waited till the new forms came out before getting my ex to sign them, because I noticed on the website that they where changing. But I am fairly anal about over researching everything. And the post office was a bit astounded that I had all my paperwork ready, filled out, and all my documentation, plus a lot of other documentation I didn't need, but wanted to have...just in case.

DF=Dear/darling fiance'

If you read what you wrote, you will realise you were not able to answer my questions with any certainty. These are very important questions and unless you know, I would suggest not giving your opinion, or thoughts as a reply. It could cause someone a lot of problems. These were not general question, where certainty didn't matter. Since you asked what DF was, I feel the reply was directed to me and say, he is my son....as I stated.

If you want CERTAINTY...go to Carnival, not a message board.

Since you need to send the BC to get the passport make sure you have an extra copy or your niece won't be able to cruise if it's not back in time.

Bill

Just FYI.... I sent off for my son's passport on 2/12/11 and got it back on 3/13/11. We do live in Texas but they are going faster than what I was told when I sent it off. (Which was 6-10 weeks)

And..... when I checked the status on the internet, once it said accepted, it never changed. So I was shocked when I got it in the mail last saturday.

:-) I hope you all have a great cruise and congrats on the new dresses :-)

DF=Dear/darling fiance'

If you read what you wrote, you will realise you were not able to answer my questions with any certainty. These are very important questions and unless you know, I would suggest not giving your opinion, or thoughts as a reply. It could cause someone a lot of problems. These were not general question, where certainty didn't matter. Since you asked what DF was, I feel the reply was directed to me and say, he is my son....as I stated.

If you don't want opinions, don't ask important questions on a message board. Pick up the phone and call a government office and find out the facts from the proper source.

Yes you will need a noterized paper giving you permission to travel out of the country without him.

I don't think this is true. The mother & daughter have the same name and her name will be listed on the birth cert so nobody will even question whether you can take the child out of the country.

To the OP: Something to consider....if you send off the birth cert with the passport application and it doesn't make it back to you before the cruise, you will be up a creek without a paddle. With the birth certificate, you will be able to cruise without a passport if you are leaving & returning to the same US port.

Aren't photo IDs required at ports by their security before they will allow you into the secure area to reboard the ship?

Nope. They always tell us to have a photo id and our sail & sign card when we get off the ship because we will have to have them to reboard. I've never been asked for anything but the S&S card when reboarding.

During original check in process, anyone over 16 needs a valid photo id. Under 16, no photo.

Technicially you do need your husbands permission to take your child out of the country. It needs to be notarized too. I have done this twice on cruises where my husband didn't go with me and the kids and I have not once been asked to show it. I don't want to chance it though and will have one with me for each cruise I go on sans hubby.

Hmm, I wonder what they do for a single parent? My friend's husband passed away when their son was 11. So, he is on the birth certificate but sure couldn't give his consent.

I asked that at our local office. Mainly because I totally panicked when I got my OLD passport back first! They said the same thing someone above mentioned. If the envelope they mail to you with either your old passport or your bc in it goes astray or the new one does, you still have the backup of the one that is not lost. It's purely about reducing risk. I was surprised it just came back to me in the regular ol' mail.

I don't think this is true. The mother & daughter have the same name and her name will be listed on the birth cert so nobody will even question whether you can take the child out of the country.

I don't know how you can say that regarding the need for a noterized paper giving you permission to take the child out of the country without the other parent. Carnival has this in their FAQ:

All guests 16 years of age or older must provide an official photo I.D. When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we
strongly recommend
bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico.

It would be a real bummer to get to port and have problems when a simple notarized letter would have cleared it up. It certainly could be true that these are often not checked, but you never know.

Not sure what they do regarding a single parent.

Nope. They always tell us to have a photo id and our sail & sign card when we get off the ship because we will have to have them to reboard. I've never been asked for anything but the S&S card when reboarding.

During original check in process, anyone over 16 needs a valid photo id. Under 16, no photo.

Photo IDs have been requested (not sure what would happen if someone didn't have one) at several ports I've been to. The most recent being St. Maarten (last October). I know it is hit and miss, but there have been some that asked for it in my experience.

DF=Dear/darling fiance'

Oh Em Gee..... Do you realize YOU hijacked her thread??? Get a grip Shelly...

If you are taking your child out of the country on a cruise ship, airplane or by land and both of the parents are not there then you have to have a notarized statement giving permission from the absent parent for the child to go. This is to protect the child from parent abduction or abduction from a nonparent situation. IF one of the parents is deceased then a copy of that parents death certificate will be needed. You may or may not be asked for it but better be prepared then denied boarding. Of course if you are taking someone elses child then you will need the authorization of both parents in most cases. Otherwise think about how many people could just take off with someones child and get on a plane or ship and disappear in another country :eek:!

Oh Em Gee..... Do you realize YOU hijacked her thread??? Get a grip Shelly...

IKR...she hijacked and then got all snarky with the poor OP who said that she's a newbie...talk about a warm welcome. WVLiz- don't let the few jerks on FB scare you off...most folks are kind and helpful. I hope the passport dilema works out. We always use birth certs, but I think it's time for us to get passports (we didn't realize we'd be cruising as much as we are). We are taking DS's friend (took a friend last summer too). We did/will get the notorized permission to travel without parents letter and a permission to seek medical care letter and also a copy of their insurance card. Last year nobody asked for the notorized letter and we, thankfully, didn't need the medical letter or insurance card. Have fun!

Archived