Food allergies: 60 days???

RedSox5

Hi-

We just booked a cruise for April 2nd on the Gem a few weeks ago. I booked over the phone and told the person that I must have a gluten-free diet and she was very helpful. She said the Access Desk would contact me soon. I waited about a week and didn't hear from them, so I called back and the person gave me the email address for the Access Desk. I emailed them last Friday, and they got back to me today with their standard "there is no allergist onboard, please understand that we will try our hardest, but cannot guarantee against cross-contamination, etc." email, with a form to fill out that just asks me to say that I cannot have gluten, and sign the form and return it to them.

Based on my research here on CC, I was expecting a list of gluten-free items to be able to choose from to request to have on board that week. However, the email says that they need 60 days notice to process gluten-free requests. Since we didn't even book the cruise 60 days prior to sailing, that obviously is impossible.

This is our first time on Norwegian, and I'm just wondering at this point, if anyone has any experience with how strict that 60 days rule is? I would think they may be able to get *some* items (GF cookies, a pizza crust, etc.) with about 3 weeks notice, but I'm not sure. I don't want to be a pain in the neck, but obviously, would love to have some GF options onboard.

I had a terrible experience on Celebrity last year in regards to trying to eat gluten (and I'm a BIG fan of Celebrity), so I'm just trying to have the best experience possible this year!

Anyone with food allergies, and experience with NCL have advice? :confused:

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi-

We just booked a cruise for April 2nd on the Gem a few weeks ago. I booked over the phone and told the person that I must have a gluten-free diet and she was very helpful. She said the Access Desk would contact me soon. I waited about a week and didn't hear from them, so I called back and the person gave me the email address for the Access Desk. I emailed them last Friday, and they got back to me today with their standard "there is no allergist onboard, please understand that we will try our hardest, but cannot guarantee against cross-contamination, etc." email, with a form to fill out that just asks me to say that I cannot have gluten, and sign the form and return it to them.

Based on my research here on CC, I was expecting a list of gluten-free items to be able to choose from to request to have on board that week. However, the email says that they need 60 days notice to process gluten-free requests. Since we didn't even book the cruise 60 days prior to sailing, that obviously is impossible.

This is our first time on Norwegian, and I'm just wondering at this point, if anyone has any experience with how strict that 60 days rule is? I would think they may be able to get *some* items (GF cookies, a pizza crust, etc.) with about 3 weeks notice, but I'm not sure. I don't want to be a pain in the neck, but obviously, would love to have some GF options onboard.

I had a terrible experience on Celebrity last year in regards to trying to eat gluten (and I'm a BIG fan of Celebrity), so I'm just trying to have the best experience possible this year!

Anyone with food allergies, and experience with NCL have advice? :confused:

Thanks in advance for your help!

My advice would be to pack some Larabars which I believe are GF, and avoid the cookies.

Two suggestions: you should email the ACCESS desk; I would not rely on their calling you and, more importantly, YOU [and only you] need to be responsible for eating or not eating the correct items. I have several food allergies...and over time i've learned...it is up to me.... having said that I'll also say we've had good and bad experiences with the ACCESS desk. They handle matters in order of both receiving them and the departure date of the cruise. They mostly provide information to you. They do that very very well. They do NOT do a good job a conveying information to YOUR SHIP and YOUR CRUISE. For awhile this stumped me until I realized......everything is only as good as the weakest link in the human chain and more importantly, ship personnel rotate almost daily. Crew members are coming and going from the ship every time the ship docks somewhere....if you're contract is over, you leave; someone new or from another ship or returning takes your place. Multiple this by thousands of crew people across a large fleet and you can see why information gets lost or is not properly transmitted. Sooo your ship may or may not know of your need and newer crew members may not be completely trained etc. Thus, I always take items I know I like and are good for me on the ship. I also know that foods that fresh and then grilled for example are o.k. I know fresh fruits and veggies, abundantly available, are o.k. I never eat baked goods, any sauces, most desserts etc. I cruise and vacation all over the world....and never get sick....and enjoy every minute.

From all the threads I have read on gluten free, it sounds like the NCL ships stock a lot of gluten free foods.

We were on the Sun after Thanksgiving and although we had put in an order for our favorite foods, they had tons of things available that were not on the list and would try to accommodate any requests we might have.

They recommend placing your dinner order the night before, but we forgot a few times and we never had a problem. They always gave us great options that were available when we sat down to eat.

I would still fill out the form... but I think you will find tons of options regardless of whether they got your info in time or not.

Have a great time!

I was on the Jade in October and also had to be GF. I was sent the GF list and filled it in and sent it back but it was not the only thing they served. I had so much GF food prepared on the 7 day cruise I was never hungry. In the Italian restuarant alone, they fixed me pizza, pasta with veggies, garlic bread AND found a GF cake for our anniversary.

Be sure to remind the Access desk again closer to the cruise, tell the servers and they will send someone to take your order. I chose my meal the night before and never had a problem

I felt so spoiled all week.

Good Luck

Lynda

I am also in the same situation. I received the standard letter that I had to fill out. I emailed the access desk for the request list and I have not received one either. I will try contacting the access desk again.

From all the threads I have read on gluten free, it sounds like the NCL ships stock a lot of gluten free foods.

We were on the Sun after Thanksgiving and although we had put in an order for our favorite foods, they had tons of things available that were not on the list and would try to accommodate any requests we might have.

They recommend placing your dinner order the night before, but we forgot a few times and we never had a problem. They always gave us great options that were available when we sat down to eat.

I would still fill out the form... but I think you will find tons of options regardless of whether they got your info in time or not.

Have a great time!

Thanks- I was wondering if they tend to stock some popular GR items. Sounds like they do. Thanks.

I was on the Jade in October and also had to be GF. I was sent the GF list and filled it in and sent it back but it was not the only thing they served. I had so much GF food prepared on the 7 day cruise I was never hungry. In the Italian restuarant alone, they fixed me pizza, pasta with veggies, garlic bread AND found a GF cake for our anniversary.

Be sure to remind the Access desk again closer to the cruise, tell the servers and they will send someone to take your order. I chose my meal the night before and never had a problem

I felt so spoiled all week.

Good Luck

Lynda

Thanks- great to hear! :D

Two suggestions: you should email the ACCESS desk; I would not rely on their calling you and, more importantly, YOU [and only you] need to be responsible for eating or not eating the correct items. I have several food allergies...and over time i've learned...it is up to me.... having said that I'll also say we've had good and bad experiences with the ACCESS desk. They handle matters in order of both receiving them and the departure date of the cruise. They mostly provide information to you. They do that very very well. They do NOT do a good job a conveying information to YOUR SHIP and YOUR CRUISE. For awhile this stumped me until I realized......everything is only as good as the weakest link in the human chain and more importantly, ship personnel rotate almost daily. Crew members are coming and going from the ship every time the ship docks somewhere....if you're contract is over, you leave; someone new or from another ship or returning takes your place. Multiple this by thousands of crew people across a large fleet and you can see why information gets lost or is not properly transmitted. Sooo your ship may or may not know of your need and newer crew members may not be completely trained etc. Thus, I always take items I know I like and are good for me on the ship. I also know that foods that fresh and then grilled for example are o.k. I know fresh fruits and veggies, abundantly available, are o.k. I never eat baked goods, any sauces, most desserts etc. I cruise and vacation all over the world....and never get sick....and enjoy every minute.

I DID email the Access Desk- re-read my original post.

I'm NOT taking items with me on the ship- never have and don't intend to now. Some people do, and some people don't- it's all about personal preference. I'm not going to go hungry- that's not what I'm worried about. Like you, I've been living with this a long time and know what I can and cannot eat. Simply put, I'm just trying to make every option available a reality. I would hate to come back from the cruise and realize I could have had so much more if I had simply explored my options (e.g. requesting certain foods) prior to sailing. I know that this is a possibility, so I essentially was just wondering how strict they are with the 60 days notice. I don't expect to have the same number of food options given to me as someone with no food allergies at all, but if everyone is paying the same price for the cruise, I'm not bringing the majority of what I eat from home!

Thanks for your help.

We sailed on the Epic recently and we booked it about 2 1/2 weeks before we went. Our DS has a dairy allergy and when we spoke to the access desk we too were told that it was too late to special order anything, but he never went hungry on board. Of course it all depends on what stock they already have on board, but the kitchen was quite accommodating. They made a special batch of cookies for him and they also make fruit sorbets for those passengers that can't have the mainstream ice creams.

For us, NCL was the easiest to navigate food allergy wise of the four cruiselines that we have sailed with.

Archived