Mt Etna View from Taormina?

gismo1554

Just wondering can you see Mt Etna from the Cruise port or not? Just debating whether we need to get off the ship or not here. We have already been to a Mt Tide in Tennerife and don't have much interest in doing the experience again but it would be nice to see it at least.

Which port in Sicily are you going and which cruise line? I noticed that with our upcoming RCCL cruise the ship goes the long away around Sicily before going up to Messina.

I know that you can see Mt. Etna from the Greek theatre at Taormina, just google it and see all the photos. It is a far away shot though and depends on the clouds.

Also, depending on the port, Messina is supposed to be delightful. You could get off the ship for a little while and stay as long as you want. I certainly would plan to get off the ship, even if it's just to walk around some.

IMHO Taormina is a delightful town. Very picturesque. The view of Mt Etna and the coastline are "picture-book". I definitely recommend getting off the ship and wandering around the town at least for a while. The public gardens which are just below the ruins of the old Greek Theatre are superb.

It's actually the port of Taormina that we are stopping at and we are travelling on Silversea.

The port of Taormina and the village are quite different. The village is up in the hills far above the port and city of Messina. In the village there are ruins of a Greco Roman amphitheater. From the seating area past the stage of the amphitheater through the collapsed back wall you get some great vistas and photo ops of Mt Etna. If you decide to go up to the village of Taormina, which I recommend, do not take a cruise line tour. Arrange a small group tour and start out early. When we, a group of 8, went we actually arrived in the village before the amphitheater opened and had ample time to explore the village and the amphitheater and take photos before the hordes of cruisers got off the big buses. BTW the best cannolli I ever had was purchased in a small pastry shop in Taormina. A little higher in the hills above Taormina in the village of Castlemola. The roads up to Castlemola are a little too tight for big cruise buses, but are no problem for a van. It is very much worth it to escape Taormina when the crowds arrive and head up to Castlemola. A bottle of almond wine from a Castlemola shop is an excellent way to unwind with friends from the excursion when you return to the ship.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions! With our packed itinerary I think we may skiup Etna and possibly look at getting to the village or just stay onboard. We only have 1 sea day so it would be nice to get a bit of extra time onboard.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived