Southern Carribean Cruises?

lmreddin

Hi. I have been avoiding taking a cruise to the Southern Carribean because most of them go out of San Juan. I have thought that it would cost me so much more for airfare to have to fly to San Juan and back from there.

Is that true? How much more would it really cost me?

Where are you located? JetBlue will be flying direct from Jacksonville beginning in May. There are good prices to be found out of Orlando.

You can also find cruises out of Ft. Lauderdale that cover the southern caribbean. It would be a 10-day cruise as opposed to 7-day out of San Juan.

It really depends on where you are coming from, what cruise lines you are looking at booking, what type of cabin you plan to stay in, what time of year....etc..but I have also been looking at Southern Caribbean cruises out of San Juan, and the airfare that I have been finding is adding up to be more or almost as much as the the cruise itself. (Im coming from Washington state). Flights for the week I want to cruise were $523.00pp when I checked this morning. An oceanview cabin on a 7 day is only $479pp. (Carnival in December before the holidays).

I am still checking almost daily, but am now looking at longer cruises with other cruise lines that leave out of Florida and that hit some of the southern caribbean ports. If I'm going to spend that much on a caribbean cruise, I figure I would rather have the bulk of it going towards more time on the ship and not on a plane ride. If I don't go with the FL option, I will still fly out to San Juan but may stay 2 days pre-cruise and maybe another day post cruise so that it feels like I am getting my $$'s worth for the airfare I am spending.

Just check out cruise prices/airline prices and make your decisions from there.

Westerdam does a 7 day southern cruise out of Fort Lauderdale. Lots of sea days, though. Only visits Half moon Cay, Curacao, Aruba. This is in winter only, though. All summer cruises are from San Juan. EM

We are sailing Serenade of the Seas on April 2nd. Our air fare was $438 per person (this includes fees, taxes). This if for AirTran from MPLS -> Atlanta -> San Juan round trip.

The price had been somewhat higher in October, but I found this price on the 2nd of November). Since then, I see that price has went up significantly.

Well, I'm looking at flying out of Minneapolis in July or August.

I just did a very brief search on from July 30th-August 7th...Cheapest flight I found from your area to SJU is $518 ($578.00 after taxes/fees) just to give you some idea. You may find other less expensive flights by adjusting dates and everything.

Hope it works out!

Well, I'm looking at flying out of Minneapolis in July or August.

We are flying out of Minneapolis on Sun Country 3/27 and flight was around $450 per person. If you try to book air only online through Sun Country it is much more expensive. Call the Sun Country Vacations and get a quote on air and cruise package. They may not have charter flights to San Juan in the summer though.

Archived