Cab to and from Mendenhall Glacier Visitors Center?

FinallyAlaska

I have seen the suggestion to take a cab to the Visitors Center but I am wondering if someone who has done this can tell me a few specifics. First, what are the costs, and second, how hard is it to get a cab, especially coming back to the ship? Also, how long does the drive take?

Thanks!

I don't know if you specifically want to take a cab but if transportation to Mendenhall is all that you want, you could take the shuttle bus at $14 round trip and save a few $$$. The busses are available close to the Mt. Roberts tram.

I have seen the suggestion to take a cab to the Visitors Center but I am wondering if someone who has done this can tell me a few specifics. First, what are the costs, and second, how hard is it to get a cab, especially coming back to the ship? Also, how long does the drive take?

Thanks!

You might want to consider the shuttle bus to Mendenhall. You catch the bus at the base of the Mt. Roberts tram and it is $14 round trip.

Oops. I didn't think my 1st post made it.

What is the walk like to the Mt. Roberts Tram? HAL offers it as an excursion, but if it's walkable, we may just walk there instead.

HAL docks very close to the tram. I would recommend that you wait until you arrive in Juneau to book the tram. If the weather is bad you really can't see much from the top of Mt. Roberts.

Judy, the shuttle is our plan b, but we have 4 people and are on a pretty tight schedule, so I was thinking that if the cost of a cab for four people is not much more than the shuttle, it might be worth it.

Yes, you might come out cheaper taking a cab. Usually, you can ask the driver to come back at a specific time to pick you up. I don't know what they charge though.

I haven't taken a cab to the glacier, but I have to the airport which is about the same distance. So I'd say the cab would be about $30 each direction. Cabs also offer a 'touring' rate in the summer.

I'd contact some of the cab companies and confirm the price. None of of the companies have bad reputations. If you check the Juneau travel website, you'll find their phone numbers.

As you get off ship, there'll be cabs lined up by the Red Dog Saloon. If you're far away, I'd carry their phone numbers and give one a call. They're no longer allowed to wait at the glacier, so you'll have to call one for pick up as well or I'm sure you can make a specific time appointment to be picked up.

HAL docks very close to the tram. I would recommend that you wait until you arrive in Juneau to book the tram. If the weather is bad you really can't see much from the top of Mt. Roberts.

Thank you. It looked real close on Mapquest, but that can't show you specifics. As we're going in May, I'm not going to book that in advance, since we don't know what the weather's going to do.

You might want to consider the shuttle bus to Mendenhall. You catch the bus at the base of the Mt. Roberts tram and it is $14 round trip.

But the shuttle doesn't start running until 9 a.m. and things open at 8 a.m.?

That's why we may need to do the taxi going out, since we are only in Juneau 7-4.

There is NO cab line at Mendenhall, you WILL have to call a cab to pick you up, or have a prearrangement with a pick up time.

It will take 20 minutes from the dock.

For Mt Roberts, the tram is about 5 minutes, it is not worthwhile if you can't see the top, and therefore the recommendation to wait until you get there before purchasing a ticket. Just walk up and pay. The ticket is good all day. IF in port late, especially nice going up with the city and ships lit up.

Archived