How to maximize 4 hours in Colon

Tikibird

The reviews are up from the March Acapulco-FLL cruise and they didn't stop in Gatun Lake to let people off for shore excursions. All we are going to get is 4 hours at the Colon cruise terminal. All I really want is to buy molas like these. http://www.panart.com/mola_gallery6.htm Our ship will be there on a Saturday from 5-9pm so unless local malls are open we will be limited to whatever opens for the cruise crowd. Are there mola stores in the terminal? Or is there anyway to email someone and ask them to bring a selection across the street from the mall if they aren't allowed in?

As for Molas, I have read on this board that they were also available in Puntarenas, I did not see them however, but then I was not looking for them.

I looked up your itin on the CP and they still had excursions listed for the Canal, just curious, have they told you that you would not be able to take excusions from Gatun Lake? Perhaps it was something unique to that particular cruise:confused: as to why there were no excursions in Gatun Lake. In the past the stop in Colon was primarily to pick up the passengers who disembarked in the Lake.

PS I would think if the ship is docked there would be something open in the nearby mall. Then again stranger things than that have happened. Our ship stops there on Sunday April 24th, so I may have some info after that!

. . . Our ship stops there on Sunday April 24th, so I may have some info after that!

I'll be in Colon on the 22nd. Which cruise are you on?

BTW, 24th is Easter Sunday. Some of the vendors might not be there due to the holiday.

We will be on the Jewel, which will only be stopping at Colon. As far as the 24th being Easter Sunday I had not given any thought to that:eek:! That's one day of the year they take pretty seriously and most things are closed, so much for being able to tell what vendors will be around!

The reviews are up from the March Acapulco-FLL cruise and they didn't stop in Gatun Lake to let people off for shore excursions. All we are going to get is 4 hours at the Colon cruise terminal. All I really want is to buy molas like these. http://www.panart.com/mola_gallery6.htm Our ship will be there on a Saturday from 5-9pm so unless local malls are open we will be limited to whatever opens for the cruise crowd. Are there mola stores in the terminal? Or is there anyway to email someone and ask them to bring a selection across the street from the mall if they aren't allowed in?

I'm glad to see you posted this. We're on the same cruise (think we talked about the molas on Princess thread). Will watch this for any add'l info.

Sheila

I have searched all the reviews and no one has specifically addressed the shopping opportunities in Colon (after Cristobal market was demolished) or posted pics. I know there must be something besides duty-free!

We will be on the Jewel, which will only be stopping at Colon. As far as the 24th being Easter Sunday I had not given any thought to that:eek:! That's one day of the year they take pretty seriously and most things are closed, so much for being able to tell what vendors will be around!

I will try to take note of what's available at Colon 2000 when I get there. But, I will be there on Good Friday, April 22. So some of the vendors may be absent that day too.

We are going on the JunglelandPanama Day Adventure tour (formerly the Gatun Lake Safari "houseboat" tour). I'll be adding a review of that as well, after we get back.

Can anyone who has been there identify where these photos were taken?

I think the first 3 were the old market at Cristobal.

http://capiana.com/PanamaCruise/souvenirmarketatcolonpanamadock.html

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:DSC02068,_Panama_Canal,_Colon,_Panama.jpg

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2883398620063342928NKqIeO

This one *might* be the new Colon 2000 one, the roof is different than the others. It's all the way down at the bottom of the page and was taken in 2010.

http://www.saltysailors.com/images/articles-cruising/colon/shopping-colon.jpg

T-Bird, the first two pics are certainly of Pier 6 in Cristobal. As far as the third one goes, it probably is the same Pier 6, just can't see enough details of the structure. On the last one, really don't know since I have not been to the Colon 2000 facility.

I will try to take note of what's available at Colon 2000 when I get there. But, I will be there on Good Friday, April 22. So some of the vendors may be absent that day too.

We are going on the JunglelandPanama Day Adventure tour (formerly the Gatun Lake Safari "houseboat" tour). I'll be adding a review of that as well, after we get back.

Good Friday, that's another HUGE day as well! Should have much of an impact on sightseeing particularly for the tour you have scheduled. I know DW is on the lookout for a few things from the vendors.... that is going to be real if-ie. Oh well, without poor planning I just would not have any planning!!

As for Molas, I have read on this board that they were also available in Puntarenas, I did not see them however, but then I was not looking for them.

I was in Puntareas in Nov 2010 and the only molas I saw were already sown into t-shirts. The t-shirts were $40 and the molas were beautiful, well worth the price, IMO

Archived