Dawn or Gem? New York or Boston?

lmreddin

I am trying to decide between two cruises to Bermuda. Either the Dawn out of Boston or the Gem out of New York. I have never been to either Boston or New York. What have your experiences been at either of these ports?

I will be traveling with my sister-in-law and her 19 year old son. Also briinging my son who will be almost 14. I suppose both ships are good for teenagers, but what is your experience with either of these ships? Would you recommend one over the other?

Any advice is appreciated.

That's a tough question. Personally, I like the Dawn better. I actually found it less expensive than the Gem. The 3rd and 4th passenger prices are less. The Gem has more stuff like the bowling alley, rock wall, slide at the pool and such but it also charges for things like movies in the room that the Dawn doesn't. I think you have to look at which port is easier for you to get to and the price difference. If all things are equal I might go with the Gem for the teenagers.

Depending on where you are driving or flying from may make a difference too, cost of airfare. Both ports are great for checking in and views when leaving port. Parking (if needed) is also right there for both. Parking is twice as expensive in NY. Gem leaves on Sun, Dawn on Friday. Gem is there from Wed 8am to Fri 5pm, Dawn Sun 11am to Tues 5:30pm. You get about 2.5 more hours in Bermuda on the Gem. I have only been on the Gem so I can't comment on the Dawn but we loved the Gem.

I didn't realize that one ship would have better 3rd and 4th passenger prices than another.

I will be flying out of Mineapolis, but I didn't think that would necessarily make a difference. Don't need parking.

I suppose the Dawn going out on a Friday might make airfare less expensive.

Thank you for the information.

My family and I just went through the same dilemma - though dilemma isn't the right word since either choice wins :)

I am in Boston, family is in NY so leaving from either port would be easy.

We chose the GEM for the following reasons:

-Gem prices were cheaper for the week we wanted to leave.

-Gem is newer.

-NY is home of 3/4 of the family going, BOS only 1/4.

-Gem leaving Sun means I can take off one less day of work and use the extra day for another trip :)

- Love sailing past the SOL in NY.

-Dawn is Bermuda on a Sunday, and, from what I've read, a lot in Bermuda is closed on Sundays. On the Gem, we are in Bermuda for 3 full, OPEN, days.

I'm sure the Dawn has other benefits too, but this is what decided it for us.

My family and I just went through the same dilemma - though dilemma isn't the right word since either choice wins :)

I am in Boston, family is in NY so leaving from either port would be easy.

We chose the GEM for the following reasons:

-Gem prices were cheaper for the week we wanted to leave.

-Gem is newer.

-NY is home of 3/4 of the family going, BOS only 1/4.

-Gem leaving Sun means I can take off one less day of work and use the extra day for another trip :)

- Love sailing past the SOL in NY.

-Dawn is Bermuda on a Sunday, and, from what I've read, a lot in Bermuda is closed on Sundays. On the Gem, we are in Bermuda for 3 full, OPEN, days.

I'm sure the Dawn has other benefits too, but this is what decided it for us.

The amount of time you are in Bermuda is just 2.5 hours more then the Dawn ;)

Yes, but one of the days is a Sunday on the Dawn, and from what I've heard a lot is closed on Sundays. So we preferred having 3 full days making the most of what Bermuda has to offer.

Hotels in NY are expensive, but any hotel in the center of Boston is as well. Through different websites, I'm sure you could find a good deal for a precruise night in either city.

Yes some things are closed on Sunday. We have taken the ferry to Hamilton and walked around and did our souvenir shopping on Sunday or just headed to the Beach. Another thing I thought of was the distance from each airport to the port and that fee. I know Boston is very close but don't know what a taxi would cost. NY has three airport options and I believe Newark was the closest. I'm still not pointing you in either direction, just trying to cover all your options.

I didn't realize that one ship would have better 3rd and 4th passenger prices than another.

I will be flying out of Mineapolis, but I didn't think that would necessarily make a difference. Don't need parking.

I suppose the Dawn going out on a Friday might make airfare less expensive.

Thank you for the information.

Minni to Boston/Logan might be a good option. Check Jet Blue also.

I took the Gem out of Ny (I live here) and embarkation was a breeze. That was the best part of our trip. Lol. The Gem was awful. Food, service, excursions, things to do, awful. I have never been so sad and bored on a vacation. I cannot recommend this ship (or this cruise line). Take your chances on the Dawn or try another cruise line altogether. Maybe RC? This was my one and only cruise and it was so bad, I ll never cruise again.

We've been on the Dawn 4 times and once on the Gem. Both ships are great. I find it easier to get around in Boston, but we're from the area so that could have something to do with it.

The one thing that I can say is much easier is flying into Boston over NY.

Have a great time whatever you decide.

First, both ships have amazing Teen Clubs. My son (16) had a great time with the Teen Club New Year's Eve 2009 on the Gem and August 2010 on the Dawn. In fact, he still keeps in touch with many of the teens he has met on these cruises via facebook, text and such. We did like the Dawn a little better than the Gem as we felt the ship was set up more spacious and the crew was the friendliest at sea. However, I would book either of these ships again in a minute. The most important factor to me would be location of the port vs my home. We live in PA so NY is a quick train ride away. I feel that stress free travel to the port is very important as that is the start of your vacation. Best of Luck with your plans as you cannot go wrong with either of these beautiful ships and the port you are visiting, Bermuda is simply amazing and I believe the most beautiful place on earth. :)

Archived