Guided shore dive and Stingray City in Grand Cayman

WET193

We are hoping to do a guided shore dive and go to Stingray City while in Grand Cayman. Is this possible? We will be on RCCL Voyager of the Seas which has us in GC from 10am to 6pm. They have excursions for both things with the time for the dive from 10-12 and the trip to Stingray City at 12:30. Anyone know if it's possible to do both with only 30 minutes in between? Any shops that can do both for us? I already checked with Don Fosters and Eden Rock, but they can't do the Stingray City for us.

Thanks.

A few years ago, we took a Sting Ray City and reef snorkel excursion through one of the private operations. On the reef excursion, you were in deep water the entire time and it was a bit rough due to the wind. I suspect this combo is more practical as one needs to get to Sting Ray City by boat.

You might want to go over to the ports of call threads and look around there for more up-to-date information.

We are in GC in November and this type of excursion would be perfect fro us!:D

If I find anything I will post it here and would appreciate any info you find!

I'm getting close to giving up and just having a relaxing day diving without the stingrays and maybe explore the island a bit instead.

I don't know what cruiseline you are on, but besides what RC offers, I have found guided shore dives at Eden Rock at 11am and 2pm for $65/one tank, $100/two tank. Still waiting to hear back from Sunset House. For Stingray City, I found Stingray City Trips has them from 10-1, 2:30-5:30 for $44 and Captain Marvins has them 11:15-1:30, 1:45-4:00 for $38. Theoretically, we could make it work, but it's my vacation and I don't want to have to worry about running from place to place to get there in time, or worry about making it back to the ship. I was really hoping to find one stop shopping, but the places that do both, don't have trips to Stingray City the day we will be there - you could check Don Fosters and Eden Rock for your date though. GL

• 1 month later...

One of the best dive sites in Grand Cayman (the start of the West End Wall) can done from shore on your own at Turtle Reef - the mini wall is an easy swim out and a very cool dive - I have done the main wall, which can take 10 minutes of swimming to get to - bu the mini wall is less than a 5 minute surface swim. The dive shop is located in front of the Cracked Conch and is about a 15 minute cab ride from the tender pier.

Not sure why you require a guide - none of the shore dives, including those near the tender pier - are challenging. The reef runs parallel to the land, and none are a far swim out. Each dive shop will give you a detailed briefing - the key is to go early before the current and winds pick up - plan to be in the water by 8:30am and you will be good to go. Do not head out after 11am - the current here can be wicked.

Good luck.

Archived