Phone Cards for Tips

mcwebber

Anyone know what kind of phone cards would be best to give a crew member for a tip? Would it only be the one sold on board or the ones sold in the US that they can use when they're at home port to call home? I would think they don't have a lot of time on board for that and would prefer more minutes when the ship is back in Miami or where ever.

The ones sold in the US are only good to call from the US ...I dont think there really is a universal phone card. cash is better.

Just as a for instance my international card, of course has to be used from a phone, so I found a phone booth in Key West... but it wouldnt take my CVS international phone card ..and thats from a US port.

I never saw phone cards sold onboard a ship to be honest.

Is something wrong with giving them cash? I would not give out a phone card because maybe they do not have anyone to call.

Nothing at all. But, I have read of other people tipping with the equivalent amount in a phone card and the crew member being very happy to get it.

Nothing at all. But, I have read of other people tipping with the equivalent amount in a phone card and the crew member being very happy to get it.

I've never read a poster on here claim that the crew expressed that they were unhappy with any thing they were given. But I would think cash would be the item most appreciated. Unless you know someone well, how can you possibly know what they want and/or need? With cash, you know they'll get something they can actually use.

As another poster said, many of them probably have their own cell phones. Give them cash they can use that to help pay for their cell phone charges to call home.

If they don't have a cell phone, give them cash and they can buy a phone card.

Anyone know what kind of phone cards would be best to give a crew member for a tip? Would it only be the one sold on board or the ones sold in the US that they can use when they're at home port to call home? I would think they don't have a lot of time on board for that and would prefer more minutes when the ship is back in Miami or where ever.

I saw the posts you are referring to. Just ignore some of the immature comments. What I would suggest is striking up a conversation with the Steward or the waiter or who ever you are interested in giving a phone card to, to see if they do use them. Ask them about their family and how often do they get to speak to them. Ask them do they call from the ship or at Port or if they use phone cards to stay in contact with their loved ones. That way you have an idea if it would be a truly, welcomed gift.

I saw the posts you are referring to. Just ignore some of the immature comments. What I would suggest is striking up a conversation with the Steward or the waiter or who ever you are interested in giving a phone card to, to see if they do use them. Ask them about their family and how often do they get to speak to them. Ask them do they call from the ship or at Port or if they use phone cards to stay in contact with their loved ones. That way you have an idea if it would be a truly, welcomed gift.

Yes, maybe I do get to know the crew members beyond just asking them for ice, towels, etc. It's how I knew one of my cabin stewards would really appreciate an extra Budweiser cap I brought on board for that purpose.

When we took the Behind The Fun tour on Freedom, there were machines on the wall that dispensed phone cards and internet cards in one of the rooms near the crew lounge. The guide told us that was how most crew kept in touch with home, and laughed that the "crew could buy them much cheaper than passengers", meaning that crew could access ship phone and internet much cheaper that you or I.

My suggestion is to tip in cash, and the crew can buy what they need and make sure that it is the correct kind of card. Some may keep in touch in different ways, like phone vs internet.

I understand the desire to do something more personal, but I wouldn't want to be tipped a phone card at work. I tend to be kind and pleasant, while tipping cash. :)

When we took the Behind The Fun tour on Freedom, there were machines on the wall that dispensed phone cards and internet cards in one of the rooms near the crew lounge. The guide told us that was how most crew kept in touch with home, and laughed that the "crew could buy them much cheaper than passengers", meaning that crew could access ship phone and internet much cheaper that you or I.

Much cheaper than you or I on board the ship. Same as with drinks or alcohol at the duty free shop. Do you know what the actual prices were?

Much cheaper than you or I on board the ship. Same as with drinks or alcohol at the duty free shop. Do you know what the actual prices were?

Beers were a buck or less as I recall when we did the Behind the Fun tour on the Glory last year.

This wouldn't be in place of cash, it would be in addition to.

Maybe based on the opinion of someone who has spent 25 years on board ships:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=261

I just wanted to say it is very kind of you to want to do something more personal with with a gift that has some thought put behind it along with the normal cash tip. It shows that you are a thoughtful person, along with you not getting upset with those who have posted their thoughts that a gift card is not a such a good idea(to them). :)

"phone cards" that are green, rectangular, and have pictures of dead US presidents on them are the best ones. Then they can use them for whatever purpose they truly need...whether it is to call home, or for something else. And a nice thank-you note, along with fillling out the official recognition card that the cruise line presents, which goes into their personnel file and may help them get a promotion...

Archived