Elegant/Formal Night Kaput on Carnival

OneNewTexan

Just returned from our second and very last voyage on Carnival. Our first Carnival experience was over the Christmas holiday in 2008 and the passengers dressed reasonably well, probably due to the holiday season. Yesterday, we left the Triumph in New Orleans with the conclusion that the "Elegant Night" is really a joke on Carnival. Out of 3,500 passengers on board (1,100 of them children), only about five percent made any attempt to dress well in the dining room on "Elegant Night." Most were in jeans, shorts, T-shirts, and other very casual attire. I even saw some folks wearing flip-flops and one fello wearing gym sweats to the dining room. I did see about 20 men and boys wearing a tux. My son and I were two of this 20 or so. My wife and our two daughters were dressed appropriate for a formal dinner. This was really a let down to our family and is not what we expected. I know that many of you out there like this new super-casual dress standard, but it is not for us and we will be booking our future cruises on more upscale cruise lines where the passengers dress up more. I just cancelled a NCL booking this morning as we did not want to encounter the same lax dress code as we saw on Carnival. This is an FYI to all those new cruisers looking to book future trips. I will be booking Celebrity to replace the cancelled NCL booking.

*I enjoy dressing up anyway. That way I make Goober in his shorts look silly in comparison.

think about it...two men are sitting at a "FunShip" dining room table on eligent night,

one is wearing a tux and the other is dressed for the beach. Who looks goofy ?

*I enjoy dressing up anyway. That way I make Goober in his shorts look silly in comparison.

think about it...two men are sitting at a "FunShip" dining room table on eligent night,

one is wearing a tux and the other is dressed for the beach. Who looks goofy ?

OK....I give....the guy in the tux if it is really a "Fun Ship." Right?

THe ones in tuxes look stupid. This is vacation. Who really packs a tux? Really??

Who would bring a tux on a cruise ? His name is Bond...James Bond. That dude always looked handsome dressed up.

Over 20 movies and he scored every single time !

By comparison...I'm sure Jethro from the Beverly Hillbillies would wear jeans to dinner.

PT Barnum would be proud that so many people buy an illusion. The Fun Ship isn't some Hollywood fantasy or Camelot, and Sean Connery will be 81 this year, while Max Baer Jr is a youthful 73. :p

I know these guys are old now....but hey...they have pills for that .

Archived