dinner dress attire

Gudenau1

on royal u were allowed to wear dress shorts

Unfortunately Celebrity has a different dress code. Only time I've seen people wearing shorts in the main dining room for dinner is on the first night if luggage delivery is running late. That happened to me once.

Royal Caribbean is different than Celebrity. Celebrity is more low key and traditional. Tends to be more focused on adults. None of the bells and whistles that attract families.. like ice skating, large pools, rock climbing etc. It has a quieter atmosphere..certainly not the announcements, loud pool games etc. (When we have multi generational family groups, we choose Royal. When it's Dh and I , we choose Celebrity. )

With that in mind, X requests smart casual dress guidelines on non-formal nights. A nice pair of khakis or even dress jeans will work with a polo or casual shirt.

well thanks for the info. won't make my husband too happy though! lol

Well, being on Celebrity will:)

I just finished a cruise on the Connie. I met a whole group of people who usually cruise Royal Caribbean. They were delighted with their Celebrity cruise. Many booked another cruise on X while on board:)

Royal Craibbean is totally different than Celebrity. Passengers turn it up quite a bit in clothing on X. Shorts are expressly listed as a no no for the dining room at night. Men can be just as comfy in dockers and a collared shirt----oh, btw casual t-shirts without collars aren't allowed in the MDR at night.

I have taken a number of cruises on Royal Caribbean and shorts are not allowed in the dining room at dinner. On the first night of the cruise they may make exceptions since some people may not have received their luggage in time for dinner.

Whatever you do don't book Cunard. They(thankfully)enforce the evening dresscode.We're looking at Celebrity, but like the more formal atmosphere when you dine at exclusive restaurants rather than a night at the Sizzler.

from Celebrity FAQS which is easy to look up for any query..

Evening Attire

Evenings aboard Celebrity include two types of dress: "Smart Casual and Above" and "Formal."

Examples of "Smart Casual and Above" attire include:

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) complemented by sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Examples of "Formal" attire include:

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown, or dressy pantsuit.

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. As a courtesy to our guests, we respectfully require and enforce compliance with the dress code at the entrance of your restaurant of choice. We thank you, in advance, for your cooperation and understanding. Additionally, guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual and Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the appropriate attire each evening. A casual dress code applies at all times onboard Celebrity Xpedition.

I have to disagree with all the nay-sayers about shorts in MDR on RCI. We have not been on an RCI caribbean cruise in the last couple of years when we have NOT seen any number of people with shorts on in the MDR on casual nights. And we always see at least a couple on formal nights. :eek:. That is just today's RCI. We even saw men in the specialty venues in shorts this past Fall - one man in linen shorts in Portofino on Freedom in Nov and one man in docker type shorts in Chops on Radiance in Dec......

It's a small price to pay for the experience upgrade from RCCL to X, IMHO. Just tell him he may want to consider going "a size up" in the pants he takes. Either that, or a pair of pants with an elastic waist. :D

Have a great time!

Susan

Royal Craibbean is totally different than Celebrity. Passengers turn it up quite a bit in clothing on X. Shorts are expressly listed as a no no for the dining room at night. Men can be just as comfy in dockers and a collared shirt----oh, btw casual t-shirts without collars aren't allowed in the MDR at night.

We just got off the Solstice. While we did not see any men allowed into the dining room in shorts, we did see men in t-shirts without collars in the dining rooms at night. As long as the shirt have sleeves (short or long), you will be fine. Collared shirts are NOT required.

We just got off the Solstice. While we did not see any men allowed into the dining room in shorts, we did see men in t-shirts without collars in the dining rooms at night. As long as the shirt have sleeves (short or long), you will be fine. Collared shirts are NOT required.

Celebrity is well known for being a little inconsistent on enforcement of the dress codes in the MDR. One Maitre d' might not care if customers fully adhere to the dress code and another one might. The only way to make sure that there will be no dress code issues that prevent you from eating in the main dining room is to follow the dress code which specifies no shorts and requires collared shirts on Smart Casual nights.

Just because one cruiser saw people being admitted who did not comply one cruise does not mean that someone else on another cruise will be admitted.

Celebrity is well known for being a little inconsistent on enforcement of the dress codes in the MDR. One Maitre d' might not care if customers fully adhere to the dress code and another one might. The only way to make sure that there will be no dress code issues that prevent you from eating in the main dining room is to follow the dress code which specifies no shorts and requires collared shirts on Smart Casual nights.

Just because one cruiser saw people being admitted who did not comply one cruise does not mean that someone else on another cruise will be admitted.

In what way was this against the dress code? I don't believe my experience was an inconsistency - the maitre d' was simply following the dress code as it is clearly written. Nowhere in the dress code does it state that collared shirts are required.

Most people understand the concept of "smart casual". Just think about it and it really isn't difficult. Anywhere we go there will always be exceptions to good judgment. The question is whether one wants to be one of the exceptions.;)

In what way was this against the dress code? I don't believe my experience was an inconsistency - the maitre d' was simply following the dress code as it is clearly written. Nowhere in the dress code does it state that collared shirts are required.

Were they wearing collarless shirts that are not T-shirts? The dress code as clearly written specifically says no T-shirts.

Oh yes, I saw some of those so-called dress shorts. They were NOT dressy at all. Some of the fellas in shorts looked like they just came in from working in the yard all day.

Shorts have NO place in the MDR on ANY ship.

PS: the accompanying baseball caps and thongs (not even good enough to classify as flip-flops) made the lack of couth that much more apparent.

Archived