Booking with cruiseline vs TA?

kaclmay

I know this has probably been asked a million times here, so don't throw anything at me..... I did a little searching but thought that asking would just be a tad quicker, lol.

When booking a cruise - have you found it cheaper to go through a TA/cruise agency (whether online or local) or directly with the cruiseline itself? (I know we can't discuss TA's or agencies on here, I'm just asking in general)

How is booking directly through the cruiseline more beneficial? I'm sure the cruiseline ~wants~ you to book with them - so what incentive do they give cruisers to book with them - if any. I've never used the cruiseline to book direct before so I don't really know the difference.

Thanks everybody!!!! :) Happy Spring!

First allow me to welcome you to Cruise Critic.

My personal view is that a person needs a TA. That said you should check, cruise line pricing, online TA pricing, newspaper ads and then visit a TA...a couple if need be until you find one that you can work with. A good TA should be able to match or beat any pricing you can find or provide OBCs or other perks to make it a better deal for you.

A TA brings a lot of experience to the table, can offer you advice, can cut the baffle-gaff that cruise lines can throw at you, and you have a face with a name if there are problems instead of some faceless person in a call center.

Just this morning we booked a cruise thru our TA and saved a full $700 over the cruse line's online rack rate.

We have booked more then 2 years of cruises (with 12 cruise lines) and have only used a cruise line direct booking on one ocassion. Booking a cruise is just like any other purchase in that it usually pays to shop around. We have often saved more then a thousand dollars on a cruise by simply going with the best deal. As an example, we have an upcoming Holland America cruise where the cruise price was pretty much the same at all of our normal sources (we use 5 different TAs plus always check the cruise line). However, one of our favored TAs was offering an $1075 on board credit (not available from the cruise line. To us its just a no-brainer. It normally takes us about 30 min to check a cruise price with our usual 5 sources (all online TAs) and the cruise line. The lowest price gets our business.

As to whether a TA is helpful we would not know anymore since our last 8 cruises have been booked online without even talking to an agent (just like the airlines).

Hank

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Be prepared to learn some great stuff.

Of all the mass-market cruise lines, only Princess permits travel agents to discount fares ... so when you book one other than Princess, you'll pay the same price as you would going direct. However, as incentives, TA's will offer perks such as onboard credit, prepaid tips, etc. We've used the same online agency for years, and have had no difficulty whatsoever. On our last cruise, we received $100 OBC, and were able to purchase an additional $100 for only $17. The one time we deviated (at the behest of our traveling companions) we had an issue with onboard credit.

As with any other occupation, there are a few sterling agents, and some pretty bad ones. The majority of them fall somewhere in the middle. You'll need to do a bit of due diligence ... but you'll know when you find a situation that works best for you.

Again ... welcome aboard; we're glad you're here.

Al

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Al and Darcie, I am sorry that I forgot Al>jewopaho and Darcie >kitty9 in my reply to Hank... I would appreciate if the both of you would email me also... It would be most appreciated... Richard from Ca.

I always check the price at the cruiseline and then go to my different TA's and see where my best deal is found. I've always done much much better through one of my TA's than directly with the cruiseline.

I'm usually very upfront with my TA's. I ask what deal they are offering, and then I tell them what I'm able to find for myself (even if it's from other TA's). Usually, one of my TA's will always beat my best price. Even if they're only able to throw in an extra picture and bottle of wine....It's something. This way, I end up with my best price, plus some added bonus.

This is the first cruise that I booked with a TA and I have yet to see any benefit. I have to call everytime there is an issue and hope that they get it right on the first shot (which is yet to happen as of yet) and then I have to check up on it and call back to have them get it correct. I find it easier to just do it myself in the first place.

This is the first cruise that I booked with a TA and I have yet to see any benefit. I have to call everytime there is an issue and hope that they get it right on the first shot (which is yet to happen as of yet) and then I have to check up on it and call back to have them get it correct. I find it easier to just do it myself in the first place.

You need to look for a different TA - they should be working FOR you...

Ask your crusin' friends, co-workers or people you meet on your cruises - they will gladly give you their opinion of good/not-so-good TAs.

Archived