question on youth programs

cc waddles

I have two kids 7 and 9. The youth programs are separated into 3-7 year olds and then 8-12. My question is my kids will want to be together. will that be a problem and can the 7 year old join the 8+year old group. He will be almost 8 by the time we go.

Yes, they are strict on the ages.

I agree. Three years ago I chaperoned 4 girls on a cruise on the Caribbean Princess. All 4 girls were in the 12th grade. Two of them were 17, and two of them turned 18 a few weeks before the cruise. What a disaster! Princess would not allow the 18 y/o girls in the teen club with the 17 y/o girls because they were too old. It didn't matter that they were all still in high school. It was suggested that the 18 y/o high school girls could go to the bar area, where they were too young to drink and were hit on by much older men. Needless to say, it was not a pleasant trip. :(

Keeping strict to the age groups makes more sense. I imagine the staff gets plenty of parents coming up to them the first night to say, "my child is mature for" his or her age. The number of staff that handles each group is hired before the start of the cruise -- the cruiseline knows how many kids per age will be onboard.

OP: it might be that your older child would prefer to be with his/her own age group. But definitely if the group starts at age 8, the other kids wouldn't like it if some younger kids were put in there. Besides, I'm sure your kids are in separate classes at school (unless they're at a small school) and are in separate groups at summer camp.

Archived