Rome to Capri

KKSpea

We are flying in to FCO and contemplating going to Capri for 2 nights pre-cruise. Is the train the best way?

If I am interpreting the train website correctly, it leaves from Termini and arrives at Napoli Centrale. Is that close to the hydrofoils? There are just 2 of us and we are only bringing 1 suitcase each. We are spending some post-cruise time in Rome, so we were hoping to get over to Capri!

We are flying in to FCO and contemplating going to Capri for 2 nights pre-cruise. Is the train the best way?

If I am interpreting the train website correctly, it leaves from Termini and arrives at Napoli Centrale. Is that close to the hydrofoils? There are just 2 of us and we are only bringing 1 suitcase each. We are spending some post-cruise time in Rome, so we were hoping to get over to Capri!

I would first check the cost of simply adding another leg to your flight and continuing on from FCO to Naples by air. From the Naples airport you can take the Alibus to Piazza Municipio, the stop is just on the other side of Castel Nuovo from Molo Beverello, where the boats to Capri leave from. Or you can take a cab directly from the airport to Molo Beverello for Euro 19,00.

If the train makes better economic sense, you have two options. You could go to Termini and choose from three different levels of trains (high speed, fast, and regional).

I've made this trip many times over the past five years, and I always go from FCO to Roma Ostiense and take the IC train from there. I don't have a problem with Termini, but I do take issue with the Leonardo Express, the direct train that runs between FCO and Termini. I find the local train to Ostiense far less crowded and more comfortable, not to mention that it's almost half the cost. Furthermore, the Leonardo Express uses tracks that are actually a quarter mile from Termini station, which means a long walk to your connecting train.

From Napoli Centrale train station you can take a cab to Molo Beverello or a bus. I use the bus, but I know where I'm going. For a first time visitor, the bus depot at Piazza Garibaldi (in front of the train station) can be overwhelming and confusing. About a dozen different bus lines begin and end here and finding your bus can take a while. There are lots of buses, cars and people moving around and there is ongoing construction in the area as well.

The cab fare from the train station to Molo Beverello is fixed at Euro 10,50. The bus for two would cost Euro 2,20. It's certainly up to you, but I think you'd be more comfortable in a cab. To save the difference, about eight Euro, you'll need to wander around to find the right bus, manage your luggage onto the bus (Naples buses are notoriously crowded), make sure to get off at the right stop, and cross a busy major road to get to the pier. The cab will drop you off right in front of the ticket booth.

You can download the set fares from the City of Naples' web site here: http://www.comune.napoli.it/flex/cm/pages/ServeBLOB.php/L/EN/IDPagina/6665

It's a good idea to print out the pdf and have it with you, because you can only get the set fare if you say so before the ride begins. Most taxi drivers in Naples will not speak English, so the easiest way to ensure that they know you want the set fare is to show them the set fare sheet, with the destination you want highlighted.

Archived