Best Alaska Itinerary???

tennesseejoy

Husband and another couple are getting ready to book an Alaskan cruise on Princess for August 2011. There are several itineraries and ships to choose from. Can I get some comments/recommendations from my cruising friends on their favorites?

Thanks and happy cruising!

Diane

I would recommend doing land first and than sailing from Anchorage to Vancouver. Viewing the glaciers the first couple of days without leaving the ship is a wonderful way to rest after sightseeing by land first. I believe this is called a southbound cruise.

Having been to Alaska many times over the years, I sincerely believe the "Voyage of the Glaciers" out of Vancouver or Whittier can't be beat. I would recommend the southbound itinerary as it gives you both Glacier Bay and the Hubbard Glacier...northbound it is Glacier Bay and College Fjord.

That depends on what you are more interested in.

Princess has three basic offerings: Voyage of the Glaciers, RT from Seattle and RT 10 day out of San Fran.

Voyage of the Glaciers will get you into Glacier Bay and College Fjord which are the most scenic.

The RT from Seattle and San Fran go to Glacier Bay but not College Fjord, all three hit the same three ports.

Both of the RT get you to Victoria, which is a nice port of call.

You have to ask yourself, is the cost of airfare a deal breaker, if yes, then the Voyage of the Gleacier North or South, two different airports in two countries is going to be more.

Roundtrip out of Seattle and SF will be less.

The 7 day out of Seattle is going to be some fast cruising. The 10 out of SF, lots more motion for about 2 days going and 2 days coming.

We have chosen the Voyage of the Glaciers 2 times. One Southbound, the last Northbound.

On the Southbound, we arrived in Anchorage 3 days before departure. Took a couple of Grayline tours, investigated the older part of Anchorage and had a great time. Used the Princess Transfer to Seward (10 years ago). After the cruise we spent two days in Vancouver, the hotel was 3 blocks from Canada Place, walking distance to most of the important things.

Our last cruise was Northbound with a 5 day land portion afterward. We arrived in Vancouver the day before departure. The land tour comprised of one night at McKinley, two nights at Denali and two nights in Fairbanks. Have to say the further you get inland the more you will see of the real Alaska.

In Skagway, an excursion is a must as it is really a waste of time otherwise. Whitepass RR, or something, unless you like shopping for jewelry!

Ketchican is nice, lots of opportunities for nice excursions. Lots to do in town or short walking distance from the port.

Juneau, the same, lots of opportunities to get into something interesting.

Personally, we will never do another Alaskan cruise. We are planning an extended tour on our own to get to see as much as possible and meet some fo the local color. We loved both cruises but will keep it to the Caribbean or perhaps Austraila.

You have already chosen Princess?? Then you need to choose which of the three routings?? IF doing a one way, I strongly recommend you add several days, in my opinion, another week is needed. (don't underestimate time).

When are you looking at going?? That can make a difference on direction depending on the overall plan.

That depends on what you are more interested in.

Princess has three basic offerings: Voyage of the Glaciers, RT from Seattle and RT 10 day out of San Fran.

Voyage of the Glaciers will get you into Glacier Bay and College Fjord which are the most scenic.

The RT from Seattle and San Fran go to Glacier Bay but not College Fjord, all three hit the same three ports.

Both of the RT get you to Victoria, which is a nice port of call.

QUOTE]

Victoria most often is only a few hours. It is an excellent port, and if of interest, get to Seattle early and go over to Vancouver Island for a few days.

All Seattle cruises, unlike mentioned above, do NOT go to Glacier Bay, there are Tracy Arm sailings. With Tracy Arm, I find it "necessary" to budget and book the add on Tracy Arm ship tour- GROSSLY superior to the cruiseship transit.

One ways also do not all do College Fjord, as stated above. Southbound, in the past has done Hubbard.

I've sailed to all these glacier areas, my opinion only, if your time allows a northbound sailing- you certainly will have an excellent scenic day of College Fjords.

I highly recommend using your Whittier time wisely and not be in a rush to get on the ship, or in a rush to get out of Whittier. A Prince William Sound boat tour, works out well time wise and is just an excellent scenic adventure to consider.

I'd like to know which Royal Caribbean itinerary is best, not Princess.

Thank you!

Although, I don't find RCI a top choice, probably their one way, on the Radiance is the "best" choice. The Rhapsody, has some weaknesses with the itinerary. Aren't those the only two ships there???

Although, I don't find RCI a top choice, probably their one way, on the Radiance is the "best" choice. The Rhapsody, has some weaknesses with the itinerary. Aren't those the only two ships there???

Would you mind me asking why you don't consider RCI a top choice? Is it just because of the Rhapsody itinerary or the cruiseline in Alaska overall? Thank you.

Would you mind me asking why you don't consider RCI a top choice? Is it just because of the Rhapsody itinerary or the cruiseline in Alaska overall? Thank you.

RCI is not consistant with a ship naturalist. They may have "lecturers", of various "experts", which is not my preference. The Radiance only does one glacier, no College Fjords. Port times not ideal. Rates up there in pricing.

RCI is not consistant with a ship naturalist. They may have "lecturers", of various "experts", which is not my preference. The Radiance only does one glacier, no College Fjords. Port times not ideal. Rates up there in pricing.

Thank you. You learn so much from reading these boards, but then it's easy to forget some of the important items when you're finally trying to select the cruise you're going to take.

You have already chosen Princess?? Then you need to choose which of the three routings?? IF doing a one way, I strongly recommend you add several days, in my opinion, another week is needed. (don't underestimate time).

When are you looking at going?? That can make a difference on direction depending on the overall plan.

We are planning an August cruise. We have cruise Princess several times on the larger ships and book a mini-suite, usually Dolphin port aft. This being our first Alaska, I am curious about ships (other than Golden-which we love), and must see glaciers. I am leaning toward the RT Seattle, but want to know what the last couple of days (or first on SB) offer and is this a must see?

We have limited travel time since we will spend 5 days in California prior to the cruise. (we live in Tennessee) We find that 10-12 daysnis the most we need to be away from home, pets, elderly parents, etc.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. We will be traveling with another couple - first time to ever vacation with friends-and they are deferring all the decisons to us because they have not cruised in 28 years.

Thanks in advance....Diane

We usually cruise with RC also but chose to make the switch to Princess for the itinerary alone! they go to Glacier Bay which is a must for us! We will be on the Aug 20 sailing and can hardly wait! It was a tough decision for us because we have so many perks with RC but if going to Alaska I want to to see the top spots! Good luck choosing Kindly Karen~

We are planning an August cruise. We have cruise Princess several times on the larger ships and book a mini-suite, usually Dolphin port aft. This being our first Alaska, I am curious about ships (other than Golden-which we love), and must see glaciers. I am leaning toward the RT Seattle, but want to know what the last couple of days (or first on SB) offer and is this a must see?

We have limited travel time since we will spend 5 days in California prior to the cruise. (we live in Tennessee) We find that 10-12 daysnis the most we need to be away from home, pets, elderly parents, etc.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. We will be traveling with another couple - first time to ever vacation with friends-and they are deferring all the decisons to us because they have not cruised in 28 years.

Thanks in advance....Diane

In my opinion, no I don't think a one way is the best cruise, with no interior Alaska touring. It also is a long flight for many, and may be more costly?

Problem is, round trip Seattle, does have the least scenic sailing itinerary. I think HAL round trip Vancouver with Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm, a top "best" choice for some.

So, my point, any choice is going to be a compromise. :)

As for the Gulf of Alaska sailing, most ships I have been on, do stright across, open ocean. An exception I had, last year, with HAL< who did do coastal- hadn't had a "coastal" in probably 10 years?? I wouldn't count on it, however.

IF You happen to have at least 1 extra night, it certainly could be worthwhile with at least 1 day touring.

Archived