Early Saver vs. last-minute booking: which is the better deal?

BeachyBrowns

My wife and I have cruised a few times before, and each time, we booked last-minute. I feel like we've gotten good deals doing that, but we are actually ahead of the curve this time and looking at a sailing in October for our next cruise (CCL Dream 10/22/11). We could book early, but we missed the 72-hr sale, and the price seems to be a bit higher now. Should we just wait for a last-minute deal at this point, or will we likely get a better price by booking early, given the rapidly-rising costs of fuel these days? Thanks for all input!

My wife and I have cruised a few times before, and each time, we booked last-minute. I feel like we've gotten good deals doing that, but we are actually ahead of the curve this time and looking at a sailing in October for our next cruise (CCL Dream 10/22/11). We could book early, but we missed the 72-hr sale, and the price seems to be a bit higher now. Should we just wait for a last-minute deal at this point, or will we likely get a better price by booking early, given the rapidly-rising costs of fuel these days? Thanks for all input!

There is no set answer for this as all cruises are slightly different.

My son cruised on the Pride in January and it was sold out about 6 weeks ahead of time and the prices for the cabins that did become available were very high.

Some cruises there are a lot of availability right until the last minute and bargains can be gotten.

Bill

For my upcoming cruise on the Pride in May, with early saver, I got 3 or 4 price reductions,

and upgraded from an 8B balcony all the way up to an 8K extended balcony for no additional cost. It all depends on how the cruise is selling. With early saver, you can always upgrade, so I book the lowest room category that I would be happy with, and look for not only price cuts, but upgrades offered during the various sales. I have also done well booking last minute. I got an ocean view on the Fascination for a 5 night cruise for 536 total for the two of us. I have limited vacation time, and must schedule it far in advance, so I prefer to book early saver, as I am locked into that week anyway.

They just had 2 or 3 72 hour sales in a row, so I'm sure more will be coming. You just have to keep checking.

For my upcoming cruise on the Pride in May, with early saver, I got 3 or 4 price reductions,

and upgraded from an 8B balcony all the way up to an 8K extended balcony for no additional cost. It all depends on how the cruise is selling. With early saver, you can always upgrade, so I book the lowest room category that I would be happy with, and look for not only price cuts, but upgrades offered during the various sales. I have also done well booking last minute. I got an ocean view on the Fascination for a 5 night cruise for 536 total for the two of us. I have limited vacation time, and must schedule it far in advance, so I prefer to book early saver, as I am locked into that week anyway.

They just had 2 or 3 72 hour sales in a row, so I'm sure more will be coming. You just have to keep checking.

Thanks for the info. I assume you have to take some affirmative step to get CCL to apply the subsequent reduced price to your reservation ... ? Surely they don't just give it to you unasked-for ...

Thanks for the info. I assume you have to take some affirmative step to get CCL to apply the subsequent reduced price to your reservation ... ? Surely they don't just give it to you unasked-for ...

If you are booked under the ES rates then you fill out a form foun d online and submit it to CCL if you booked directly.

If you book with a travel agent then you must notify the travel agent and have them submit the form.

You usually know in 72 hours or less if you got the reduction in price.

Bill

Archived