VICTORY - UK guests embarking in Barbados

hilandlass

Just back from a brilliant cruise on the Victory following a week in Barbados, booked through Virgin.

I had promised to report back to some UK cruisers but cannot find the old thread.

I hope to get round to writing a review but in the meantime, I am happy to answer any queries.

cheers

Ann

Just back from a brilliant cruise on the Victory following a week in Barbados, booked through Virgin.

I had promised to report back to some UK cruisers but cannot find the old thread.

I hope to get round to writing a review but in the meantime, I am happy to answer any queries.

cheers

Ann

Ann I'll look forward to reading your review. Just put my mind at rest :) please..did everything go smoothly? Oh and where did you stay in Barbados. I've been away from the boards for quite a while because we don't go until August but thought I'd pop in today and lo and behold saw your post so I'm feeling quite excited about it again now....it's the word 'brilliant' that did it.

cheers

Ann

Can't wait for your review Ann. I'll be doing the Barbados stay and cruise in May, also booked through Virgin. Which hotel did you stay in? I would really be interested to know how everything went from start to finish........please!;) Thanks!

Thanks for the advice on how to find old threads - dhuh - you can see I'm not used to using the boards but I found them so valuable before we went on this 1st cruise, so hopefully I can be of some help to some folks too. :o

I will get round to writing a review (promise ;)) but trying to catch up with work again.

To answer a few, we stayed in the Amaryllis Beach resort - I have written a quick review of it on trip adviser which should answer any queries. A couple of girls from Scotland did the same trip but in a 4 star (cant remember the name of the top of my head) and they loved it.. I believe it had more night life and was located in a busier area.

Transfers to and from ship were fine, better than I expected. We were picked up at the Amaryllis at 10.30am by V rep, taken on AC bus (about 15 mins to the port and then just through passport control and we were on the ship. Our luggage went into a lorry and we didnt see them again until we were allowed to our cabins around 2pm. There were around 400 UK/Bajan folk getting on at Barbados so once you got on the ship, there was a little bit of waiting (in comfortable dining room with beverages/snacks available) to get sign & sail cards etc but it wasn't too bad. Then we were invited to have lunch & relax until our cabins were ready.

Coming off the ship in Barbados was simple enough, luggage had to be left outside the cabins between 7.30 - 9am on Wed morning and we were able to stay on ship until 1pm (more lunch ;)) then we met our luggage in terminal building, had to take it very short distance to bus stop at 2pm, bus came at 2.15 and then its 45 min drive to airport. V rep met us there and made sure everyone was checked in ok before leaving us to it. Our flight to Gatwick was at 6.40pm so there was a bit of a wait in the airport but they have duty free & usual shops & bars etc. We then had another 8 hr wait in Gatwick before the flight to Inverness then 2.5 hr drive home but hopefully nobody else will have that to contend with!! All worth it though. We had such a fabulous time! :D:D:D

Ann

Thanks Ann. Eek that's a long travelling day you had on the way back - pretty long on the way there too, no doubt. I moan just travelling back to Leicester from Gatwick :blush:

I've just given your Tripadvisor review a thumbs up! Guess where we're staying ;) I've ummed and ahhed about changing the booking so many times - there are some awful reviews on there but I'm trying to take the negative ones with a pinch of salt :)

Do we complete our online visa just for the Puerto Rico part of the holiday? That's what I've done but just want to double check!

One last thing (for now lol) am I right in thinking it's best to get our dollars in mainly small notes? 1s to 20s?

ps don't worry about work...trip reports are so much more fun ;)

Ann

Glad you had such a good time, we are doing this trip in just under a years time and we are really excited already.

Looking forward to your review and thanks for the information on embarkation etc. I didnt realise there would be so many folk joining the ship in Barbados.

Regards.

John

Ann thank you so much for the Trip Advisor review, can't wait for your review on CC.

I've been reading some horrendous, negative :eek: reviews on TA about Amaryllis to the point where I was considering transfering to The Almond - but the additional price quoted wasn't worth it at all. However, your review put a few concerns to bed, so to that end, we will just go with an open mind and enjoy!:D

Just a couple of ? though, you mentioned having a beach front room, did you request this via Virgin or was it allocated upon arrival (just the luck of the draw!!;)) Also, did you mention to Virgin that this would be your anniversary hence goodies found in your room. I ask because I recall the Virgin representative who took our booking asking me if this trip was a 'special occasion', I told him yes, as it is our delayed Honeymoon, so just wondering if we will be so lucky;).

What kind of excursions/tours did you do during your week in Barbados and would you recommend them......I guess you'll mention this amongst other things in your review.

Glad to hear that you had a good time both in Barbados and on the curise. Can't wait to read about it!!!

Bubbles3...

I found the ESTA form really confusing and got advice from a trip advisor user. We only need it for San Juan, as long as you have it printed out and the passport numbers match, no probs but to set your mind at ease, I filled it in as follows ..City where you are boarding: London Gatwick, Carrier - Virgin Atlantic Airways Ltd. Address while in the United States put on address line 1 Carnival Victory Cruise Ship, address line 2 Carnival Cruiselines, City - San Juan, State PR (choose Puerto Rico).

Regarding $, we took $300 in $1 and most of the rest in small notes, if you are planning using room service on the cruise, its best to tip a buck or 2 and $1 notes are handy for the vans/buses in Barbados and for tips when on the different Islands.

KayakBabe..

When you check into the Amaryllis, the form asks if you are celebrating a special occasion. One couple we met were on honeymoon and for an extra $50 or so they were upgraded to the honeymoon suite with 4 poster bed etc. We were just lucky with the beach front room, but a couple I spoke to had emailed the ABR to ask for one and to say that it was their 30th Anniversary. If you email them early, they may upgrade you, give it a try, you have nothing to lose.

cheers,

Ann

Bubbles3...

I found the ESTA form really confusing and got advice from a trip advisor user. We only need it for San Juan, as long as you have it printed out and the passport numbers match, no probs but to set your mind at ease, I filled it in as follows ..City where you are boarding: London Gatwick, Carrier - Virgin Atlantic Airways Ltd. Address while in the United States put on address line 1 Carnival Victory Cruise Ship, address line 2 Carnival Cruiselines, City - San Juan, State PR (choose Puerto Rico).

Regarding $, we took $300 in $1 and most of the rest in small notes, if you are planning using room service on the cruise, its best to tip a buck or 2 and $1 notes are handy for the vans/buses in Barbados and for tips when on the different Islands.

KayakBabe..

When you check into the Amaryllis, the form asks if you are celebrating a special occasion. One couple we met were on honeymoon and for an extra $50 or so they were upgraded to the honeymoon suite with 4 poster bed etc. We were just lucky with the beach front room, but a couple I spoke to had emailed the ABR to ask for one and to say that it was their 30th Anniversary. If you email them early, they may upgrade you, give it a try, you have nothing to lose.

cheers,

Ann

Thanks for the tips Anne. I've yet to complete our ESTA's so your advice will come in handy.

Take care

What airline do they use for the flights and is it possible to upgrade and if so, how much?

We booked through Virgin Holiday Cruises... flew Virgin Atlantic from Gatwick to Grantley Adams (Barbados) 7 hrs direct. It is possible to upgrade, I didnt think about it but wished we had for the way home at least. someone told me they had enquired and it was around £1K!! Not worth that but there may be some good deals to be had if you booked in plenty of time & spoke to them.

Thanks for answering my questions regarding transfers. I don't know why I'm worrying about 4-5 hours at Grantley Adams airport when you spent 8 at Gatwick! I'm really looking forward to your review - I think it'll be the first from a Brit (or should i say Scot?) on the Victory.

You say this was your first cruise. Our first was on Carnival Liberty, it was going to be a one-off for our Ruby wedding anniversary but we loved it that much that we went again the next year. We loved that atmosphere on Carnival though sailing out of Miami you could count the number of Brits in 10's rather than 100's.

Can't wait till the Victory in November with 3 days in Barbados as a bonus.

Hi Anne. Thanks for the information. We're staying at Escape at theGap for 1st week which seems to fare quite well on Trip Advisor. Travelling end June - when GCSE's finish!!!!

Our flight back is 9 pm so we were thinking about buying a day pass at a local hotel rather than hang around the airport for hours. Did you come across anyone doing this?

Also I recall reading somewhere that it was possible to email Virgin reps in Barbados with specific questions before departure but I don't know now where I saw this. Do you know if this is true?

Thanks. Ros

Hi Anne. Thanks for the information. We're staying at Escape at theGap for 1st week which seems to fare quite well on Trip Advisor. Travelling end June - when GCSE's finish!!!!

Our flight back is 9 pm so we were thinking about buying a day pass at a local hotel rather than hang around the airport for hours. Did you come across anyone doing this?

Also I recall reading somewhere that it was possible to email Virgin reps in Barbados with specific questions before departure but I don't know now where I saw this. Do you know if this is true?

Thanks. Ros

Hi Ros,

Yes, I have read (on this forum) of people doing this and it is a good idea because you really dont want to waste a day in paradise sitting in a port or airport!!

I got an email from a barbados rep the day before our holiday, but as we had to leave a day early to get to Gatwick, it arrived too late so didn't do us any good but here is the email address - you could give it a try.. barbadosrep3@virginholidays.com

Ann

Ros

My wife and I are staying at Escape at the Gap when we do this cruise next March. We are actually spending 3 days there ahead of the cruise and will then be staying on the island for 4 days after the cruise where we plan on exploring the island. At the moment we have not arranged the post cruise venue and will be doing that during the coming months.

When you get back in July will you be doing a review of both the hotel and cruise for us UK based cruisers who will still be waiting to experience heaven?

Many thanks

John

Hi Anne, How are you? Just wanted to ask...did the passengers who boarded the ship in Barbados have to disembark in San Juan and then board again....I read somewhere on CC that they did. If not, would you mind sharing what you did for that day as I believe that it's a long port day.

Thanks in advance, and I'm sure we're all hoping you manage to find some time post your review ;).

That sounds interesting - please post the information when you receive it.

Thanks to all who are posting info for Barbados. I've read and enjoyed all the Victory reviews on CC but really look forward to seeing one with a Barbados embarcation.

• 5 months later...

I'm not from the UK, but I am sailing from Barbados next month (I live on the island). I am looking forward to the reviews as well, particularly getting off in San Juan (where I just want to shop and then sight-see later in the afternoon).

I have sailed Carnival before, so I know it is not a luxury experience, but I get bored quickly so with the variety of ports and the lively atmosphere make for a fun-filled holiday. I am counting down the days to my vacation!

Archived