Tampa Taxi from Car Rental @ Airport

michigyrl

Hello! We are taking a cruise from Tampa in September, and we're planning on flying into Tampa a few days early to spend time with family. We've rented a car (Hertz) at the airport, and our plan is to return the car the morning of our cruise and catch a cab to the port. Now that I think of it, I never see taxis at car rental places. Anyone familiar with the Tampa airport? Are the car rental places located right at the airport or do they have to shuttle people to the car rental place? Any suggestions?

Hello! We are taking a cruise from Tampa in September, and we're planning on flying into Tampa a few days early to spend time with family. We've rented a car (Hertz) at the airport, and our plan is to return the car the morning of our cruise and catch a cab to the port. Now that I think of it, I never see taxis at car rental places. Anyone familiar with the Tampa airport? Are the car rental places located right at the airport or do they have to shuttle people to the car rental place? Any suggestions?

Hertz is right at the terminal at TIA so no worries there. Call Hertz at Tampa directly and find out if they offer a free shuttle to the port. A lot of the car rental agencies do and it includes a trip back from the port to TIA once your cruise is over so it might be worth a call. As far as the taxis, once you drop off the car you will go across the crosswalk and then take the elevator to baggage claim. Go right outside the door and you will see a taxi que. There is a flat rate of $25 for up to 4 passengers from the airport to the port. If you need a larger taxi just tell them and they will call a van-taxi out of the que to pull up for you. TIA is one of the best airports that I have ever flown from. Have a great cruise. :)

There is also a Hertz location that is very close to the port. I believe it is in one of the larger hotels. If you could drop off there then it would be VERY close to the port and maybe only a few $ in cab fare or a short walk. I'm not too sure just how close it is so you may want to contact Hertz and ask.

BTW, we were on the Legend last Oct and had a great cruise. It was a wonderful ship and the ports were fantastic. I wish you and your family a great time and good weather.

I researched this for us for June cruise. The Tampa hotel near the port is Marriott Waterside.

It would be considered a one-way rental though, which can be a lot higher price. Check it vs. returning back to airport for price difference.

We're using Hertz points for our rental, and we don't have an option, have to return to airport. We're flying in/out of PIE (St. Pete) instead of TPA though, which will be a bit more costly cab ride. Oh well it is vacation, right?!

Archived