Fly into Ft Myers

pirate52

In June I am flying into Ft Myers on a Sunday prior to a Majesty of the Seas cruise on a Monday. I chose Ft Myers because the tickets are significantly cheaper...although I hope I made the right decision. I have reservations at the Intercontinental in Miami as the whole family is meeting there. I also chose Budget rent a car as I got a 1/2 day deal for $41. I plan on driving from Ft Myers to the Miami Airport and then catching a cab to the hotel ($25). Total cost saves about $150 although it does take about 2.5 hours to drive.

My biggest concern is my outbound flight at Ft Myers leaves at 2:05PM. I am thinking if I get off the ship by 8am, take a taxi to Budget location at 665 Southwest 8th Street (3.2 miles from port). Get in rental car by 9am and be to Ft Myers by noon and I should be ok. I will try to get RCCL hand carry departure which actually should get me off the ship by 7am. I realize this is a bit risky as any delays in arrival could screw with my plans....but I am also thinking it isn't any riskier than someone having a Ft Lauderdale flight that leaves at noon. What do you think? Am I crazy?

Pirate 52 (I should probably change that to Pirate56)

For a 2:05 flright you need to be at the airport by 12:35 or so, meaning with a 2.5 hour drive you need to be leaving from Miami by 10:00 - you should be fine. :cool: If you carry your bags off the ship you are likely to be in the car by 9:00 and should have plenty of time.

Yours is not the crziest plan - there have been report son these board many time of folks cruising from POM who fly in and out of MCO or TPA! Good luck! :)

For a 2:05 flright you need to be at the airport by 12:35 or so, meaning with a 2.5 hour drive you need to be leaving from Miami by 10:00 - you should be fine. :cool: If you carry your bags off the ship you are likely to be in the car by 9:00 and should have plenty of time.

Yours is not the crziest plan - there have been report son these board many time of folks cruising from POM who fly in and out of MCO or TPA! Good luck! :)

I agree with John and just in case, I would not stop for anything until I reached Fort Myers.

FWIW, I was surprised what a large airport it is and really a nice one!

Archived