EPIC: Good, not Great. IMO

cariboukids

Sorry to butt in here ;) but I have your answer.

Sandals was created with "couples" in mind. Adults only. A place where they could come for a nice getaway or for a honeymoon. Several years later, Sandals realized that the same couples who had been their clients in earlier years now had families. (may or may not have been as a direct result of the great romantic getaway they had there the first time around, if you know what I mean ;)) They created Beaches for that very reason. A place that was family friendly and catered specifically to those that brought their children on vacay. Therefore, they have a great number of activities (both day AND evening) that are very kid friendly and meant to hold the attention of children in an environment with a lot of other children (Sesame Street shows, etc). I'm sure Sandals does have evening entertainment but it's just not child friendly (shows kids may consider boring, nightclub, etc).

Hope that answered your question. I'm sure Caribou will chime in and answer...just thought since I was here I'd give you the info. I've never been to either, btw, just knew about the history a couple of months ago when one of our local radio stations was broadcasting from there and thought it was interesting.

Thanks for the explanation about child friendly entertainment at Beaches. Now I understand the OP's criticism about lack of evening entertainment for families.

Epic is set up to entertain the children but that is in the kid's club. I would say a great many folks who have reviewed the kid's club on board Epic have given it rave reviews. The adults can enjoy adult entertainment and the kids have a ball with children their own age. Oh well, I guess it's not for everyone.

Beaches had 2 shows everynight. The first one was very kid friendly, usually Sesame Street characters or dancing lessons, and the second show was for more 'mature' audiences. They were always PG though.

I wonder if Sandals started to have nightly entertainment. My sister and BIL stopped going to Sandals after we got them hooked on cruising a few years ago.

Have to put in my thoughts here-- our DS, newly 8, had a GREAT time at the evening entertainment on Epic two weeks ago. We found that all of the early shows we attended (BMG, Cirque-- a little suggestive, but younger kids are not going to catch on, and Second City-- which we went to THREE times because it was such a hit with kids!) were consciously kid-friendly. I might have had concerns with Cirque if my kid was pre-teen or teen, I have no idea since we're not there yet:rolleyes:, as there was a good amount of sexual innuendo, but for younger kids and those who are OK with such stuff, it's no big deal. That one people have to do what they're comfortable with, but DS LOVED the show. Thanks to Second City, we discovered that DS is a comedy-show fiend and went back again and again, as well as to the Murder Mystery Lunch (at HIS insistence!). They made a point of announcing at every show that kids were in the audience and asked everyone to keep it clean, and that was respected. BMG, of course, was right up a little boy's alley, so that was a big hit, too. He wasn't crazy about the music shows, so we didn't stay at any of them very long, but I have read lots of other reviews here mentioning that their kids loved them. I should add that DS was repeatedly included in the shows-- his suggestions were taken for improv, he was spotlighted before BMG and he was made a part of the Murder Mystery Show, so he was delighted with his involvement!!

I suspect that the compatibility of the shows with kids depends on the kids themselves, and specifically on their ages. I would say that I saw kids from about 5 on up to teens enjoying all of these shows, but I don't remember seeing younger ones. I can say that there were at least 20 kids at each of the shows we went to, and sometimes many more, and that they seemed to be having a great time! We loved it so much we're going back next year, and we've never repeated a vacation so soon before! :D

I honestly don't get this review. You bring your young kids, don't put them in the activities provided and then complain that there weren't activities? You obviously didn't enjoy much of the entertainment provided for adults due to having young kids with you and not utilizing the club. I think a Disney Cruise or Sandals would be more to your taste, if you utilized the kids activities.

I'm going on this cruise (kidless) in a month, because IMHO it is designed after Las Vegas, besides the pool/slides, to me it appears very adult oriented. I can't wait to do the ice bar, did it at Mandalay Bay this past Oct for my daughters 21st. Sounds like you were too busy worrying about leaving your young ones for 1/2 hour, this wasn't the right situation for your family as it is obvious you didn't want to leave them with anyone but yourself. All inclusives and cruises are designed to give parents a break and entertain young children seperately, if thats not your cup of tea, chose something more to your family situation and comfort zone.

I honestly don't get this review. You bring your young kids, don't put them in the activities provided and then complain that there weren't activities? You obviously didn't enjoy much of the entertainment provided for adults due to having young kids with you and not utilizing the club. I think a Disney Cruise or Sandals would be more to your taste, if you utilized the kids activities.

I'm going on this cruise (kidless) in a month, because IMHO it is designed after Las Vegas, besides the pool/slides, to me it appears very adult oriented. I can't wait to do the ice bar, did it at Mandalay Bay this past Oct for my daughters 21st. Sounds like you were too busy worrying about leaving your young ones for 1/2 hour, this wasn't the right situation for your family as it is obvious you didn't want to leave them with anyone but yourself. All inclusives and cruises are designed to give parents a break and entertain young children seperately, if thats not your cup of tea, chose something more to your family situation and comfort zone.

I'm sorry if you don't agree with my opinion, and review of the EPIC. I wasn't worried at all about leaving my children in the care of others, they have both been in daycare since they were 1 year old, that's 9 years between the 2 of them. Also, like I said before, my kids were on vacation too, so I don't just want to dump them off so I can have a break.

It was also 'Nickelodeon at Sea', but only say a few activities with them.

Again, I apologize for MY opinion, and the way I raise my children. I hope you have a great cruise, and I look forward to your review.

I'm sorry if you don't agree with my opinion, and review of the EPIC. I wasn't worried at all about leaving my children in the care of others, they have both been in daycare since they were 1 year old, that's 9 years between the 2 of them. Also, like I said before, my kids were on vacation too, so I don't just want to dump them off so I can have a break.

It was also 'Nickelodeon at Sea', but only say a few activities with them.

Again, I apologize for MY opinion, and the way I raise my children. I hope you have a great cruise, and I look forward to your review.

You sound like a great parent Caribou and I can understand your way of thinking 100%. You booked a Nickelodeon at Sea cruise, so correct me if I'm wrong but that would indicate to me a very, very child friendly, family oriented vacation. It doesn't scream "Las Vegas" to me....

It was your vacation and your review that contained (and I think this is what people are forgetting), YOUR opinion. Just that. An opinion. I never understand why people have to jump on someone for their opinion. A hundred people can be on the exact same ship and each one can have an entirely different vacation. I guess that's why I have never posted a review as of yet. It's for the benefit of others so they can get MY feeling on the experience and it would end up being a case of me having to defend and explain myself over and over...so I just don't.

Anyway, thanks again for taking time out to post a review.

Caribou,

No need to apologize. I also had an opinion and I shared it, sorry if I hit a nerve. As I said my opinion which is different from yours, is this ship seems adult oriented and most adult entertainment on it is related to Vegas, contrary to the other poster. I appreciate all reviews but felt your opinion/review was hindered by not enjoying all that was offered due to not putting kids in offered activities or taking any adult time. Just another opinion that you can't review kids programs and other offerings if u didn't utilize.

Thank you for a detailed review, it is appreciated. I am not a huge fan of the Epic and would call it "good not great" as well. However, my reasons are because there's not much in the way of feeling on the sea (no promenade), not enough windows in the public areas, etc, too large for my preference, didn't care for the lay out of the pool area.

Our feelings exactly. We felt almost as if the Epic was designed to minimize your contact and view with the sea around you. If that's the case, then why not just book a huge hotel? We go on cruises, in part, to go to sea. Love the air, the views, the tranquility, the gentle motion. Epic looks inward, not outward.

Of course, that's the new trend in cruise ship design. More and more of them focus inward - look at the huge new RCCL Oasis class with stacks of rooms with balconies facing in over the courtyard/atrium....just like a hotel.

We'll take the smaller, more old-fashioned ships anytime.

Interesting comments - you certainly have a point..........we were lucky enough to have a balcony and so we spent lots of time there just watching the waves.

But potentially from some of the decks and bars etc you didn't see the sea. I never thought about it - simply because I had own little paradise in the cabin..................

Archived