flight canceled

Capt. JC

American Airlines called this morning to tell me that my flight from Phoenix to San Juan tomorrow was canceled. They rebooked me on a flight that got in just in time to watch the Victory depart. I talked to an agent who said I could leave this afternoon, spend the night in Dallas, fly to New York, and arrive in San Juan around midnight, 30+ hours travel time. Best they could do. Meanwhile I got on-line and found USAir flight that matched my original flight with everything but the price. Canceled the American flight and then American canceled my return flight that had been booked on USAir. Got that rebooked. Not a good start to a trip.

American Airlines called this morning to tell me that my flight from Phoenix to San Juan tomorrow was canceled. They rebooked me on a flight that got in just in time to watch the Victory depart. I talked to an agent who said I could leave this afternoon, spend the night in Dallas, fly to New York, and arrive in San Juan around midnight, 30+ hours travel time. Best they could do. Meanwhile I got on-line and found USAir flight that matched my original flight with everything but the price. Canceled the American flight and then American canceled my return flight that had been booked on USAir. Got that rebooked. Not a good start to a trip.

Rut-roh!! Glad you found another option - why did the cancel the flight so far ahead :confused:

I agree, this is not the way to start your vacation. Did they give you an explanation as to why it was canceled?

Rut-roh!! Glad you found another option - why did the cancel the flight so far ahead :confused:

Just taking a guess, but most likely American has lots of aircraft out of position due to the fuel tank fire at MIA (one of their hubs) yesterday. Lots of flights delayed/cancelled nationwide as a result - and it is still a mess. As of this afternoon they still had limited ability to pump fuel for any aircraft at MIA.

Sometimes, if the plane is not very full (and the return as well), and the airline is going to spend more in fuel than the can get by making the trip, they cancel for business reasons. Can't blame them.

They will usually paint it as some issue out of their control, so they do not have to compensate the passengers.

So sorry that happened to you, but good that you had enough notice to book another flight so you can join us on the Victory. Hope you had travel insurance to cover the extra expense. Or will they be refunding you the flight plus the difference in fare?

They said it was a refueling problem at Miami.

Thanks for confirming it was what I thought. I'm glad you were able to find an alternative - hope you have a fantastic cruise. Unfortunately, lots of people are going to get off cruises tomorrow and Sunday and be mighty surprised to find their flight out of MIA on any airline delayed or cancelled due to the fuel tank fire. Many flights are even having to make stops elsewhere (usually FLL or MCO) to fill up with fuel, delaying them even more.

Sometimes, if the plane is not very full (and the return as well), and the airline is going to spend more in fuel than the can get by making the trip, they cancel for business reasons. Can't blame them.

They will usually paint it as some issue out of their control, so they do not have to compensate the passengers.

Salty Dingo, in this case, your scenario is the incorrect one. The fuel tank farm at MIA caught fire early Thursday morning. As a result, airlines are unable to get fuel to their planes in any kind of efficient manner. Instead of being able to use the airport's fuel distribution system (which will have to be completely replaced, hopefully sometime next week) they are having to rely on tanker trucks. So the airlines are having to delay flights until the relatively few tanker trucks MIA has can get to their flights or have the flight make a fuel stop elsewhere. For example, all US Airways flights have been making stops at FLL after they take off from MIA, just to fill up the plane with fuel - which adds at least 1 to 2 hours to the flight times. For American it's worse than most airlines because it's their hub so lots more flights affected, unfortunately for the OP.

Archived