Alaskan cruise dining questions

YoDadio

I want to see/do everything while grazing my way through the ship every day. Heaven knows I won't go hungry on a (Golden Princess) cruise, but I am seeking some input about dining.

Obviously early vs late vs anytime dinning is pretty much a personal preference type thing. The Juneau (12P-10P) and Skagway (6A-8P) ports conflict with the dining schedule. Any recommendations as to "can't miss" food in those ports and/or which excursions will (or won't) allow me to return to the ship main dining room would be greatly appreciated.

I get that Sabatini's is a specialty restaurant for dinner, but I thought I read something about it being open for breakfast as well. If it is, can I safely assume breakfast is treated similiar to dinner (reservation & cover charge)?

Assuming I win the "Chef's Table" lottery, what night is it held?

Thanks in advance for you consideration.

I get that Sabatini's is a specialty restaurant for dinner, but I thought I read something about it being open for breakfast as well. If it is, can I safely assume breakfast is treated similiar to dinner (reservation & cover charge)?

Sabatini's is open for breakfast for those that are in full suites, and from what I have read those guests do not pay extra for their breakfast. It is included with the suite charges.

Sabatini's is open for breakfast for those that are in full suites, and from what I have read those guests do not pay extra for their breakfast. It is included with the suite charges.
Right. Sabatinis' breakfast is available only for those booked in a full suite; not even guests are allowed. If your name isn't on the list, you won't be allowed in.

Personally I don't recall any great food in the ports, although I am sure there is some to be found, I'd plan to eat on the ship, even if it means hitting a late buffet. In Skagway, unless you are on a tour at the time, the dock is a short hop, you can go back to the boat for dinner then back out again if you want. Other than the main shopping drag and the tours, didn't seem to be a lot in Skagway, we fit in two tours and a walkaround and still were back on the ship by 6 PM.

I can't recall how far Juneau was as we got picked up at the port direct for our tour..

As far as the Chef's Table, it's exec's discretion, but often a sea or scenic day to avoid conflicts and always on a casual night.

I want to see/do everything while grazing my way through the ship every day. Heaven knows I won't go hungry on a (Golden Princess) cruise, but I am seeking some input about dining.

Obviously early vs late vs anytime dinning is pretty much a personal preference type thing. The Juneau (12P-10P) and Skagway (6A-8P) ports conflict with the dining schedule. Any recommendations as to "can't miss" food in those ports and/or which excursions will (or won't) allow me to return to the ship main dining room would be greatly appreciated.

While wandering the streets of Juneau (and there were a few ships in) we came across the Red Dog Saloon. This place goes back a few years to the old mining days.

In the days when AK was a territory, an old guy by the name of Gordie...I think his last name was Kanouse??? used to meet the tour boats with a mule that wore a sign saying..."Follow my ass to the Red Dod Saloon".

The Saloon is located at 278 S Franklin and is right on the waterfront adjacent to the jetty (depending where the ship ties up). Inside they have sawdust on the floor and have additional tables upstairs to eat at also as well as on the main where the bar and piano player are located. It really is a place with a lot of that old frontier character to it.

The menu is typical pub fare...sandwiches, saloon food etc. Their alcoholic spirits come in three classes on the menu...Cheap **** (Pretty Good Stuff), Expensive **** and Really Expensive **** at USD$6, 7 and 8 respectively. You could also try the shot they're known for called the "Duck Fart". Lord only knows how it got that name but??? They also have a novelty/souvenir store attached which you can check out at:

www.ReddogSaloon.com

Ciao for now!!!

IMHO I'd say just take the time and enjoy ports and enjoy the grazing on sea days :D

For Juneau we had a similar schedule where we did whales and Mendenhall and were back at the ship around 8pm for a late dinner, worked out well.

For Skagway were there all day. Frankly we had enough of the town and and had dinner early and enjoyed the sailways from a balcony, one of the few times we actually used it.

Tracy's Crab Shack in Juneau for the biggest (google it to take a look at those bad boys!;)), sweetest, most tender King Crab Legs EVER! And their crab bisque is to die for! Expensive, but oh so worth it! Its literally a shack (or more correct, a food cart) with a large tent or canopy w/picnic tables for outdoor dining - right near the parking garage/library. Would HIGHLY recommend! Tracy also puts a sign out front displaying the name of the crab boat the legs being served that day were caught on. On our day in port, it was the Time Bandit (from the TV show, Deadliest Catch). We then actually saw the Time Bandit in port in Homer and I got my picture taken with Eddie, one of the crew members, standing in front of the boat. Big thrill for this Deadliest Catch fan! Try the legs at Tracy's you will not be disappointed!:D

While wandering the streets of Juneau (and there were a few ships in) we came across the Red Dog Saloon. This place goes back a few years to the old mining days.

In the days when AK was a territory, an old guy by the name of Gordie...I think his last name was Kanouse??? used to meet the tour boats with a mule that wore a sign saying..."Follow my ass to the Red Dod Saloon".

The Saloon is located at 278 S Franklin and is right on the waterfront adjacent to the jetty (depending where the ship ties up). Inside they have sawdust on the floor and have additional tables upstairs to eat at also as well as on the main where the bar and piano player are located. It really is a place with a lot of that old frontier character to it.

The menu is typical pub fare...sandwiches, saloon food etc. Their alcoholic spirits come in three classes on the menu...Cheap **** (Pretty Good Stuff), Expensive **** and Really Expensive **** at USD$6, 7 and 8 respectively. You could also try the shot they're known for called the "Duck Fart". Lord only knows how it got that name but??? They also have a novelty/souvenir store attached which you can check out at:

www.ReddogSaloon.com

Ciao for now!!!

Ron, that location of the Red Dog is relatively recent and it is at least the 3rd location for it. I can remember being in it in a completely different location in 1963 and that wasn't the original location for it.

You are in fact correct. You're going back to your port calls on the old SS Prince George now!!!

It was early in the 1970s that a family by the name of Harris I believe bought the old saloon and moved it to where it's now located. That ownership lasted about 35+ years and then again, it changed hands if I recall about 3 yrs ago (2008 or so ???) when a group of locals bought it from the Harris family.

The most recent owners realized the potential business market of the cruiseship calls and added the souvenir and gift shop side of the operation, however the authentic "old days" look/atmosphere of the saloon for better choice of words, is still maintained even in the present location.

Ciao for now!!!

Personally I don't recall any great food in the ports, although I am sure there is some to be found, I'd plan to eat on the ship, even if it means hitting a late buffet. In Skagway, unless you are on a tour at the time, the dock is a short hop, you can go back to the boat for dinner then back out again if you want. Other than the main shopping drag and the tours, didn't seem to be a lot in Skagway, we fit in two tours and a walkaround and still were back on the ship by 6 PM.

I can't recall how far Juneau was as we got picked up at the port direct for our tour..

As far as the Chef's Table, it's exec's discretion, but often a sea or scenic day to avoid conflicts and always on a casual night.

Loon, did you have blinders on in Juneau? The ships dock downtown.

Loon, did you have blinders on in Juneau? The ships dock downtown.
Actually, Princess usually docks at South Franklin Street Dock (Dock B) which is a bit of a walk from downtown. Princess has access to shore power at this dock. The only dock further from downtown Juneau is the A.J. Dock (Dock A). It's a half mile walk from Dock B to the Red Dog Saloon.

Actually, Princess usually docks at South Franklin Street Dock (Dock B) which is a bit of a walk from downtown. Princess has access to shore power at this dock. The only dock further from downtown Juneau is the A.J. Dock (Dock A). It's a half mile walk from Dock B to the Red Dog Saloon.

LOL you must have been on the budget cruise as we docked right downtown both times. Actually depending on how many ships are in port you could even get stuck anchored out and having to tender.

Archived