Choice Air

SusieV

Can someone please explain to me how this works? In the past, I've never booked cruiseline air because I like to select my own flights and can usually find it cheaper. However, on open jaw cruises I have been told that cruise air tends to be cheaper.

With the old program you saw the price of the air at the same time you booked the cruise and now that doesn't happen. I'm looking at a 2013 cruise so I understand that flights/pricing aren't really available yet.

If I want Choice Air as an option, how does it work? I have a travel agent so I assume I need her involvement as well.

We just booked the 2013 Hawaii-Ensenada leg on Solstice and the other reason I wanted cruise air was to make sure we aren't just left on the pier in Mexico and we have transfers to get into the US.

FYI Choice air does NOT include transfers, so you will have to purchase those separately.

Once you have a reservation number, you can plug that into the Choice Air website to view flights - as you mentioned your cruise is so far out that no flights would show as available yet. I do not think you need your TA involved in this - but am not 100% certain (I think you can just book via the Choice Air website which works pretty much the same as a typical website that sells airline tickets, i.e. Expedia, Orbitz etc.). You will pay the airfare at the time you book the flight. You will have to contact the airline directly once you purchase the tickets in order to select seats. Choice Air does often have very competitive rates (and sometimes the best available rates) for open jaw flights. They also recently appear to have added some travel protection promises on their website (i.e. claiming they will pick up the cost if one's incoming flight is greatly delayed or cancelled and you need to be switched to another flight).

We just booked the 2013 Hawaii-Ensenada leg on Solstice and the other reason I wanted cruise air was to make sure we aren't just left on the pier in Mexico and we have transfers to get into the US.

Susie,

Absolutely get the Celebrity transfers. :) Traveling through Ensenada is a real mess. :(

We booked Choice Air for our October flight to London. As described above, we just went ahead and made our own reservations using the Choice Air link and did not need to involve our travel agent. A few days later, we accessed the airline website to choose our seats. Because our TA's name is linked with our cruise reservations, the info went directly to him and was reflected on our booking information.

One thing that I noticed and posted about on CC, was that there was a difference in price from what Choice Air charged us and what the airline had down on the seat assignment receipt - this is taking n the processing fee Choice Air charges. I never did get an explanation, but as I mentioned at that time, I was satisfied with my price and did not persue it. And I don't think anyone else has experienced different pricing. We just are the lucky ones!!:D

Mary

If I'm not mistaken, Celebrity will provide a bus transfer from Ensenada to San Diego. Maybe someone who knows for sure will comment here.

Yes they do, but it is not included with Choice Air - it is a separate purchase.

We booked Choice Air for our October flight to London. As described above, we just went ahead and made our own reservations using the Choice Air link and did not need to involve our travel agent. A few days later, we accessed the airline website to choose our seats. Because our TA's name is linked with our cruise reservations, the info went directly to him and was reflected on our booking information.

One thing that I noticed and posted about on CC, was that there was a difference in price from what Choice Air charged us and what the airline had down on the seat assignment receipt - this is taking n the processing fee Choice Air charges. I never did get an explanation, but as I mentioned at that time, I was satisfied with my price and did not persue it. And I don't think anyone else has experienced different pricing. We just are the lucky ones!!:D

Mary

There is a processing fee for doing Choice Air...I think it's $35/pp. That would account for the difference in price. Everyone is charged that fee. You weren't the only "lucky" ones!!!LOL

Jo-Ann

The charge is $15 per ticket. There is an additional $35 charge for passengers who want to use a "live" agent at Choice Air to book their flights. This extra $35 fee, however, is waived for Captain's Club members.

For the routine flights from point A to point B, there is generally no reason for an experienced online user to speak to a live agent. But some people unaccustomed to using the internet to purchase air tickets might want the comfort of a live agent.

We always book our air through Celebrity for a few reasons. The first is we have always gotten a better price through Celebrity and secondly if you have booked your own air and the cruise gets cancelled for some reason you are on the hook for the air. It's rare but it does happen. Lastly, depending on the cruise and the options you choose you may find your transfers are included in your airfare. Enjoy your cruise.:)

Archived