Dog sledding for seniors??

emsachs

Thought I'd post this as a new thread to get some more thoughts.....

Helicopter/Dog sledding sounds great, however, we will be with our parents who are 82 years old.

Our parents move around pretty well, but I'm wondering how hard it is to hold on.

Is it a relaxing ride, or are you thrown about holding on for dear life?

I read that a maximum of 3 people are on a sled with 2 sitting down. Is this true for all dog sleds?

This sounds like a once in a lifetime type of thing (taking a helicopter, landing on a glacier ad riding on a dogsled) We don't have this in TX. :-)

We're lucky, cost really isn't a concern and would hate to miss it, just want to be sure about the senior citizens.

We went with Coastal Helicopters out of Juneau last June. On our tour, there were 3 people to a sled plus the musher. The musher and one other driver are standing up and the other two people are sitting down. I don't think your parents would have any problems holding on while sitting down. You don't really go that fast. My grandmother is 81 years old and gets around well also. I wouldn't be concerned about her sitting on this sled and taking the ride. But I wouldn't have her stand up and be the driver. Hope this helps.

I would say they will be OK, but contact the venders directly and inquire for your own piece of mind. These tours aren't a "race" and the dog sledding I have been on, runs the dogs at a fairly slow even pace. I went to "dog sled" school last year and the emphasis was to maintain your team on one speed- fairly slow. :)

Archived