Need Opinions from Mom's & Dad's

simmingdenise

The very first question I have is whether a cruise is enough of a motivating factor for your son. Sure, WE all assume that he will work for the cruise....and perhaps he would even like to go, particularly with his friend. But it seems quite a nice "reward" to stay home without mom and step-dad. I don't know your son, but perhaps being on the cruise WITHOUT a friend is more of a negative consequence, or staying home with mom could be a negative consequence, too. For a guy that likes to do his own thing, staying home alone doesn't seem like much of a negative. But you know your son better than any of us here. JMHO

I agree. this was exactly what i was going to say. I would not cancel your cruise but I would only take him - not the friend and set strict curfews or make him have to stay with you all the time. The only way i would leave him at home is if you hire a babysitter - with the money you were going to spend on his cruise. maybe he would be embarrased to let his friends know he has a baby sitter at his age and he might just work a little harder to go on the cruise. But if you do hire someone make sure they can handle a teen -

I agree. this was exactly what i was going to say. I would not cancel your cruise but I would only take him - not the friend and set strict curfews or make him have to stay with you all the time. The only way i would leave him at home is if you hire a babysitter - with the money you were going to spend on his cruise. maybe he would be embarrased to let his friends know he has a baby sitter at his age and he might just work a little harder to go on the cruise. But if you do hire someone make sure they can handle a teen -

The OP has already said that her son will not be staying at her home while she is on the cruise. He will be staying with with her "tough" father (who will stand no nonsense). That should be sufficient supervision.

I haven't read all the responses but I suspect most people are thinking the same thing.

Why would you want to ruin the vacation by taking this spoiled, irresponsible brat with you? Seriously!

He has not earned a vacation from his life of leisure. He's been on vacation. He should be employed or in school and has forfeited his right to be treated like his step- sister.

I have two sons and have not had these issues but I can tell you that even a normal, well- adjusted 16 year old is apt to get into trouble on a vacation with constant supervision. So I say no way, no how.

That sounds reasonable. I sure wouldn't reward a kid known for bad behavior with a cruise. If you leave him home, hopefully you can have him stay with someone you know or have them stay at your house. He sounds like he needs the supervision.

Archived