Recap of first-time-ever NCLer going on EPIC . . .

DGP1111

They've all been seen in pictures here online before, but here's a few photos I took while inside.

By the way . . . can anyone on earlier (or perhaps very recent) confirm what was playing on the TV on the far wall?? Here we were in this frigid, well-themed, specialty bar - - with ice sculptures, and forzen glasses, and a basketball game playing on the television. :confused: It would seem SO much more appropriate to have some type of winter scenes playing, and the sounds of wind. Not a sports game with commentary.

Shoot me if I'm being picky, but there were a few 'theming issues' onboard this ship, with none being critical for sure.

1215511092_anPtg-L.jpg

1215511047_vxC4M-L.jpg

1215511953_Q3SHF-L.jpg

1215511234_Vvsm5-L.jpg

1215511640_uFFrf-L.jpg

Edited by DGP1111

Prior to going in this cruise, I'd purchased another new camera because of it being waterproof and freeze-proof (FujiFilm XP10). It lived up to the hype, as I was able to take Ice Bar and Water Slide pictures/video without technical issues.

One of the onboard photographers I got to chat with quite often during the sailing was inside the bar to take pictures as well. Her camera was not freeze-proof, and she had to grumble a few times when it locked up on her.

1215515026_DKvxA-M.jpg

As we were leaving, we gave the hand warmers to both the bartender and the photographer. Both were very happy with that offer, and said thanks several times during the week.

1215511174_tJRBA-L.jpg

Good night, Ice Bar . . . next stop . . . Cagney's Steak House.

Ahhhh . . . a pre-Cagney's story needed:

Also a part of my onboard list o' things to get arranged was checking on availability of a Posh Pass for the week. I got in line at Guest Services to inquire, and there was a line of about a dozen people or so. While in line, one of their crew members went to everyone in the line to see if there was any general info she could offer, and possibly direct them to another location if this wasn't the right one. Very nice! Disney Cruise Lines does that as well, but some cruise lines just let you fend for yourself, and "it sucks to be you", if you're in the wrong place. Five minutes later a separate person came by with the same offer.

I got to the desk and didn't even have to use my practiced sad face to see if they'd offer just one more pass for a solo passenger. He merely asked how I'd heard about that arrangement being available, and I easily told him Cruise Critic. He filled out a form, then he walked over to the cashier to process, and then asked for my keycard to set it up for access. Cool!!

1215557282_JNcGW-L.jpg

T-n-C, and I later went to check the place out, and my card worked (thankfully) but one of theirs didn't get the Green light. No big deal, and easily overcome, but a bit ironic since their beautiful villa has that already in the total package. Really liked the Posh area, and knew it would be a perfect location several times during the week when I fell into iPod/book mode.

Another irony was that I had easy access to this somewhat exclusive area, but now could no longer get back to my own cabin. :confused: My keycard would get me into the studio, but not into the hallway door to get to my studio. Twice during that afternoon I had to wait for someone to either enter or exit and slip in with them. Figured it was because of the new card, but still odd that the hallway would give me Red light.

A visit to the nice folks at Guest Services came to full conclusion (and they said it was new for them as well). Your keycard can have access to your cabin and ONE zone, and most on the ship don't require any zones at all. Villas/Studios do (and perhaps even more).

It seems (to me) very unlikely that I was the first person ever in a Studio to take advance of the Posh Pass arrangement during the months of sailing, but they seemed to think it was a unique situation. They easily found a solution by putting my original card back to the way it was, and creating a separate card for the Post access. Win/Win :)

While at Guest Services for those needed visits, I asked several of the crew members what they personally preferred at Cagney's. They were more than pleased to offer opinions, and two were very quick to say, "Definitely get the ribeye". So that was my plan, and I stuck with it.

Edited by DGP1111

Cagney's was delicious. I thoroughly enjoyed the meal and, of course, my dining company. Interesting that is shares the same entrance as Moderno, but it totally works.

1215552379_YBsAb-XL.jpg

1215525289_pCrQC-XL.jpg

1215499416_iBw5v-XL.jpg

A running joke for the week began this first night, when at the start of the meal Cheryl commented that she really enjoy enjoyed having a black napkin at dinner (a lipstick thing I don't totally grasp but it does sorta make sense). All I could think of was that with a black napkin in my lap, my pants being black, and the restaurant being a bit dark, I feared I might wipe my hands on my pants in error. Suddenly Cheryl dabs her mouth with her napkin - - it's white. What the deuce?? Didn't we just have this whole conversation about black. I take the black napkin from my lap and show her. Tom raises his own white napkin and we all look puzzled. We try to by sly are we check around the restaurant, and lo and behold every single person has a white napkin except one . . . Me.

It's probably on of those "you had to be there" moments, but it did create some fun chatter during the week.

My meal was so wonderful, and filling, that I skipped dessert entirely.

A good meal can often make you a bit sleepy, but we still had Blue Man Group to go before the end of this very full first day. That will certainly get you back wide awake . . . or will it??

So it's off to the EPIC Theatre for a night of entertainment.

1215506373_mRyjh-L.jpg

1215506240_5YuuR-L.jpg

1215506646_uSp4R-L.jpg

Prior to the Blue Man Group show, bar waiter Michael strongly suggested the 'Blue Experience' cocktail. A concoction of Malibu, something else, blue curacao, and a frozen marshmallow on top. It looked a little bit ridiculous, but thankfully it was quite amazing. Really amazing. I contend there was also a sleep aid in it that wasn't advertised. Yep, that's my story and I'm sticking with it.

As you might have guessed, after about fifteen minutes of the show, in a very comfortable seat, and low lighting . . . I began to study the inside of my eyelids. I fought it, and I fought it hard -- but lost. Once I opened my eyes to see one of the performers walking on the chair arms into the audience. :eek: Oh, good Lord, is he coming for me??!! Whew, not me. :o

Loud percussion, strobe lights, backup musicians, and other effect just didn't do it for someone who'd been been awake since Friday morning. Yowza!! Luckily, T-n-C didn't make too much fun of me for it -- they were good sports.

Well, the first day on the ship is now complete, and that was A LOT to cram into just a few hours. This ship has SO much to offer, and we were determined to just about see it all. Did we succeed??

Yes!! :D

More coming to this thread soon.

Edited by DGP1111

Oh my gosh. I can't imagine falling asleep in Blue Man! LOL. Out of all the things to do on the ship it had to be the most raucous.

I know this is your thread, but I can't resist posting this picture of my normally calm teenagers

331-vi.jpg

Edited by sdmike

What a fantastic review Don!! I'll loving it and it's making me wish the next 3 weeks would hurry on up and get gone so we can leave UK and get onboard again (we did inaugral from Rotterdam last June)!!!

If you have any photos of POSH could you post please? we're thinking of this but still undecided at the moment.

Can't wait to read more...............keep it coming!!!

Lynn

If you have any photos of POSH could you post please?

There are a couple of recent Posh threads where I posted a lot of pictures. You should find them in the last several pages, or do a search.

Well, I for one think this review sucks:mad:. After swearing that I'd never be interested in ever, ever sailing on Epic this review has piqued my interest enough to maybe, just possibly sometime thinking about doing just that :cool:(I have sailed on a ship with 6,000 people before and am not in a hurry to sail on one again, but the Epic doesn't have F-14's landing at all hours of the day and night). I'm also regretting even more not being on the Sun this October:(. Can't wait to finish reading your review, Don:D.

Well, I for one think this review sucks:mad:.

Tee-hee!! I'm going to add even more to that 'grief'. :D

Thanks!!

Can't wait to finish reading your review, Don:D

Will do what I can today, but away at an event much of the day, but will complete the two seas days for end of day. :)

Awesome review, you have me sitting here laughing out loud, of course my dogs are looking at me like I'm crazy!!!!! Can't wait to read more, we board in 5 weeks. Yay!

Deb

I wasn't sure if it was the exhaustion, or perhaps the great bedding (maybe even both), but I slept very sound that first night at sea. Not a peep heard from outside my Studio door, or from decks above or below. Of course, that statement is coming from someone who managed to sleep through tympani playing earlier as well.

Having a major eatery located at the front of a ship was rather foreign to me, but that's where the Garden Cafe buffet is plotted. Does it work?? Boy, does it ever!

The layout of this place (at least for me) is perfection. Multi, multi stations throughout allowing you to have access to all your faves without being that 18th person in line, knowing the few items already on your plate will not be even close to still warm by the time you reach your table to eat.

And the selections on EPIC offererd every thing I'd even think to request on a breakfast menu . . . plus some extras.

A highlight of each morning here was being greeted (at the entnrance) by the trio of Filippino ladies with their huge grins, and offers to assist. Some mornings their greeting in tandem, almost like a song. I thought it was fun.

Anywho . . .

Throughout the buffet area are various silk plants, and trellises with fake vines, and it gave a really nice look to the place. Some have said here they didn't really care for the "rose trees", but I liked 'em.

1229229962_EPRpJ-L.jpg

1215507597_zRTny-L.jpg

A the food selctions were plentiful . . .

1215507889_dBfdL-L.jpg

1215507927_rK2Y5-L.jpg

1215508140_M72zJ-L.jpg

1215508274_fZKbB-L.jpg

An addition breakfast selection for topping your freashly-toasted bagel . . .

1215508367_cqeAE-L.jpg

There were even light breakfast selections back at Spice H2O, at the rear of the ship.

1215559793_o7fLy-L.jpg

And for those who've traveled on Carnival Cruise Lines in the past few years . . . look at this (below), and answer the question, "What's wrong with this picture??"

1229281020_zuz2p-L.jpg

Yes, I know. Gasp! :eek: The serving tongs are in the wrong position. What a loser cruise line NCL must be to offer their passengers the opportunity to select their meat products (bacon in particular) for their breakfast plates. What's wrong - Can't you afford the "Bacon Police" who will properly plop two wet slices of bacon on your plate, and then grimmace if you request a third?? You're gonna go broke, NCL. You're gonna go broke.

[ please tell me you got the complete sarcasm in that last bit ] :p

Don, thank you thank you thank you for starting one of the best reviews I have ever read!! It is well worth the wait:D I'm loving it! And, you have even got my 'lurker sis' to post on CC too - well done!

I did have to laugh about you purchasing a water proof and freeze proof camera - I have done the exact same thing ... and it's the Fuji XP10 (please don't tell me it is the green colour though because I will then be very scared. hehehe). Great minds obviously.:)

PS. Bacon police sarcasm fully understood here:D

- Can't you afford the "Bacon Police" who will properly plop two wet slices of bacon on your plate, and then grimmace if you request a third?? You're gonna go broke, NCL. You're gonna go broke.

[ please tell me you got the complete sarcasm in that last bit ] :p

I always thought Bacon Police were a figment of imagination, like Yeti or Champ (the Lake Champlain monster for those that don't know). I'm shocked to find out they actually exist (on other cruiselines, anyway).

Great review Don..Thanks.....About the black napkin thing. My wife works in an upscale steakhouse. The napkins are white, BUT if you have black pants or a black dress on, the waitress will replace your napkin with a Black one. Hence no white lint on your trousers or dress....Don't know if they have an answer for the lipstick though....

mmmm bacon.

Don, I'm absolutely loving this review - it's a fun way to see Epic through your eyes and bring back such fond memories.

I did actually laugh out LOUD when you were talking about the movements to get the potty light on. LOL!!!!

Keep it coming....and how about sailing again with us in 2013??

I have not read a review I loved this much since SDMIKE posted his review. I am completely engorssed and laughing so much. GREAT job. We leave in a few weeks and I so can not wait. Going shopping now and I hope you post more while I am gone:) This is like reading a book you just can't put down I NEED MORE!!! LOL:D

So glad you had a great time

As I sat here reading Don's review, also packing for my cruise aboard the Epic next Saturday, it's taken me an hour to go through the whole thing. Read, laugh, pack, look at pictures, pack, read other posters comments, laugh, pack, read, and become incredibly anxious to board the Epic in 6 days and a wake-up. Don, thanks for the motivation!!!:D

Don! Don! Don! (That's me cheering for this completely AWESOME review.)

But. . . hurry back - we need more!!!

I'm with Lynn on the Epic in just a few weeks and I'm also trying to decide about Posh. . . can't wait until you get to that part!